Anyone else frying their turkey?
Dec 2, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #61 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
Ok, so we used a dry rub made from garlic, bay leaves, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. We injected the turkey with sherry.

First we did a test chicken - we didn't want to take chances with the Thanksgiving turkey. The chicken was less than 6lbs. so we cooked it for 2.5 minutes per pound, but it wasn't enough so it had to go back in.

The turkey came out wonderfully: juicy, tender meat with crispy skin. Fantastic.

Unfortunately, on Friday morning I came face to face with the downside to deep-frying your turkey: the cleanup. Straining the oil back into its containers wasn't too bad. The oil turned a nice shade of amber and after being strained through the cheesecloth it didn't have any crumbs or other particulate matter in it. The really nasty part was cleaning the pot. The bottom had all this gross stuff crusted on it so I had to use a special degreaser and lots of soap and hot water to scrub it all of.

Anyway, in the end it was great and I would recommend everyone try deep-frying a turkey or two. So go out and get those deep-fryers and be ready for next year.

Just in case you do it again: Count the cost of the oil as part of the cost of the meal, and discard it afterwards. With the inclusion of all the rendered turkey fat, unless you are going to use it for something like french fries, or fried chicken, you really can't use it again. Also, reusing fat does bring up the cancer factor. So, that way you just discard it.

With respect to cleaning the fryer. If the fryer is stainless steel, and you have a lid, and there is no heating element in it, you can use any commercial oven cleaner! Before you even put a drop of detergent into it, just spray that nasty, encrusted, disgusting thing with a ton of Easy Off (doesn't matter if it's already cool) cover it, and leave it to sit a few hours in a corner where nobody is going to knock it over or investigate it(like little kids like to do). After a few hours, using your rubber gloves, ofcourse, wipe out the melted gook. rinse, and if it still has crud in it, just repeat. I use this method on all of my pots and pans (not teflon or any coated pans, or alumininum). It also works for porcelain coated pans, but you don't leave the stuff on as long.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back