Anyone else frying their turkey?
Nov 22, 2004 at 9:27 AM Post #16 of 62
You know, it dawned on me that the thread title is a double entendre. I love those. Whether intentional or not, bravo, viator.

As for the original question, nope. And that's if we get a turkey. Might decide to buck tradition and get a ham
biggrin.gif
Either way, that puppy's getting slow roasted.

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #18 of 62
Yes, I believe it originated in New Orleans. I purchased a kit at Target, assembled it yesterday and got it fired up (don't want any mishaps on the big day). I will be using canola oil since I am allergic to peanut oil. The instructions say that the oil should be heated to about 350 degrees farenheit. I think 500 degrees is not right. Paper burns at 451 degrees farenheit so I'm not worried about burning my house down (no, my house is not made of paper - it's made of wood) from the heat of the oil. What I'll have to be careful of is the burner. It really puts out quite a flame and LOTS of heat. We'll be doing in on concrete away from the house.

I've done it once before with some friends at the Super Bowl last year. The turkey comes out juicy and delicious - much better than roasting and it's not greasy at all.

So no seasoning ideas?

Edwood, why no marinades?

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #19 of 62
It's very common for hunters cooking wild turkeys. I think Cabelas sells thousands of turkey fryers every year.
I've heard its delicious but I'm way too lazy to deal with all the hassle/danger. What do you do w/ all that oil when you're done?
CPW

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:05 PM Post #20 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I think I mentioned that there were 22 house fires in Chicago last year because of folks attempting to fry turkeys. The temperatures required to heat that much oil exceed 500 degrees and that's easily enough to ignite anything combustible within radiation distance(about 12 feet). Be careful and enjoy.

Yep and if your pan goes on fire don't throw a bucket of water on it as you'll make things a lot worse..... throw a towel over it to extinguish the flames.

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #21 of 62
the oil does'nt have to be 500 degrees but it takes a flame temp of around 500 degrees to get the oil that hot on an exposed fire.

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #22 of 62
so the towel in effect starves the fire of oxygen? some people say it should be a slightly damp towel and others say a dry towel what would you go with?

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
so the towel in effect starves the fire of oxygen? some people say it should be a slightly damp towel and others say a dry towel what would you go with?

I allways thought it was supposed to be a damp towel. I thought the thing was that if you chuck a dry towel on a pan of burning oil the towel will catch fire before it puts out the oil due to the heat and if it burns it would get a hole in it and not starve the oil of oxygen, where as the damp towel cannot catch fire. I would think a dry flame proof towel - or fire blanket - as they call them in chemistry labs etc would do the same thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Pat

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 62
I had a fried turkey one year, got say that it was pretty damn good. When done right the turkey is every bit as juicy and tender as one that was perpared the traditional way.

As it has been mentioned earlier do be careful, have a fire extinguisher near by when cooking your turkey just in case, and wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants and gloves as you are dealing with a lot of hot oil.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #25 of 62
I saw show in Food network where a shop in NYC sells deep fried turkey.
They rub the seasonings on the outside and under the skin. It was a secret recipe, so they didn't say what seasonings they used.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #26 of 62
an extingusher is fine but whatever you do don't use water to extinguish a grease fire or one that has ignited materials covered in grease. Don't use any cloth to "smother" flames as the possibility exists that this material will become soaked with grease and only fuel a fire. I don't know if you guys have any real idea how hot 500 or even 350 degrees really is. 500 degrees will ignite leaves,brush and any paint covered surface from as far away as 12 feet. 350 degrees will do the same from as far away as 9 feet.

The largest cause of these fires is grease spilling over from the fryer onto the fire when no one is around. Keep that in mind and measure your oil carefully.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
You know, it dawned on me that the thread title is a double entendre. I love those. Whether intentional or not, bravo, viator.

What is the second meaning of 'Anyone else frying their turkey'?
confused.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #28 of 62
I'm just going to keep it away from the house, that way if it starts flaming it won't do any damage. Tuberoller, you say a fire extinguisher is the only thing to use to put out a fire should one start?

No one here has done it? No seasoning suggestions? I already knew how to measure the oil, any other helpful hints?

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #29 of 62
I have a horrible vision of what would happen if you pointed a fire extinguisher at a vat of flaming cooking oil .....
It would blow the stuff at high speed all over the kitchen coating all your surfaces with burning oil.

Pat

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #30 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck
I have a horrible vision of what would happen if you pointed a fire extinguisher at a vat of flaming cooking oil .....
It would blow the stuff at high speed all over the kitchen coating all your surfaces with burning oil.

Pat

Whoah, there! No one said anything about doing this indoors - that would be downright idiotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back