Anyone else frying their turkey?
Nov 22, 2004 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
So is anyone else out there deep frying their Thanksgiving turkey? I'm going for it this year, over severe family objections. Anyone have any helpful hints? Seasoning ideas?

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 62
Here's a good one...keep the fryer far away from the house and garage. I have a buddy who kept his close enough to the garage that he melted his vinyl siding and started a small fire!!

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 62
When I see absurd stuff like this on Head-fi I have a hard time trying to figure out if it's a joke or if it's serious.

If you really are going to deep fry a turkey, do not DIY!Too many people have burn their house down doing it for it to be safe. Just find a place that does it and buy it from them.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
So is anyone else out there deep frying their Thanksgiving turkey? I'm going for it this year, over severe family objections. Anyone have any helpful hints? Seasoning ideas?

I like the deep fried turkeys for about an hour then the indigestion hits.
eek.gif
I like turkey period but give me an old fashioned roast turkey. Besides I like the stuffing almost as much as the turkey itself. Yeah and like elrod said, "watch out for the grease" as it splatters everywhere. Dont wear short sleeves or shorts or you will be dancing a little jig for the family.
icon10.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 62
Wow, when i saw the title i was like, yeah man those things rock and then i started reading the replies. You guys think thats a crazy idea? I have an uncle who used to deep fry about 10 of them for a groups of other people each year and they were so very good. You have to do it just right but the inside of the turkey isnt anymore fatty then a normal turkey, its just very juicy. But thats just from my experience, I love them, but i think both types are awesome. I'm ony turkey lovin' fool
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 62
Gotta be careful make sure the oil is the right temperature or else you might end up with darker burnt oil or even worse a small oil fire.

A good way to see how much oil you need in the pot is to put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water. once the water engulfs thw whole turkey remove the turkey and look at the water line, thats how much oili you need to put in the pot. Other than that i think you fry the turkey for about 45 minutes there was some formula X minutes per lbs. but I forgot it.

Goodluck with the frying I've heard frying the turkey gives you juicy tender meat compared to oven roasting.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by cybertron
Wow, when i saw the title i was like, yeah man those things rock and then i started reading the replies. You guys think thats a crazy idea? I have an uncle who used to deep fry about 10 of them for a groups of other people each year and they were so very good. You have to do it just right but the inside of the turkey isnt anymore fatty then a normal turkey, its just very juicy. But thats just from my experience, I love them, but i think both types are awesome. I'm ony turkey lovin' fool
tongue.gif

I rarely get indigestion period. But the fryed turkey gets to me. Where I usually get them is at my wifes annual work get together. They do 3-4 and the guy calculates the weight and measures the right amount of oil and has a thermometer to monitor the temperature etc etc. Maybe he still doesnt do them right and they are to oily or fatty. They sure taste good though.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 62
I think I mentioned that there were 22 house fires in Chicago last year because of folks attempting to fry turkeys. The temperatures required to heat that much oil exceed 500 degrees and that's easily enough to ignite anything combustible within radiation distance(about 12 feet). Be careful and enjoy.

Nov 22, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I think I mentioned that there were 22 house fires in Chicago last year because of folks attempting to fry turkeys. The temperatures required to heat that much oil exceed 500 degrees and that's easily enough to ignite anything combustible within radiation distance(about 12 feet). Be careful and enjoy.

Damn. I don't think I gonna be frying any birds anytime near. 22 house fires frying turkeys? I wonder how many households fried turkeys to begin with 50? 100? Not a good percentage..

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 62
No way. Thousands of folks fry turkeys every year in Chicago. Costco and Sam's club both sold out of the large containers of peanut oil and the large fryer turkeys were sold out at least a week before thanksgiving.

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 62
Weird. Must be a mid-western thing. I've never known anyone who's done it!

Nov 22, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 62
I don't think it's a midwestern thing. I listen to some cooking shows on the radio at times (I listen to the radio a lot when driving to and from school and work, 3-4 hours on average a day, ok -_-) and every thanksgiving, more than half the turkey questions are about frying turkeys. It just supposed to leave the meat more moist and juicy whereas roasting in an oven usually dries the meat out because it takes so long, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back