Anyone Else Ever Been Threatened?? Beware; Long story
Sep 4, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #31 of 61
Sorry to hear about your brush with a moron, Indra. I hope you don't have it hanging over your head for long, but I know from experience that this kind of thing can spook you when you work in a retail shop dealing with whoever walks through the door.

I worked at a large drug store in high school. A few of my friends worked there too, and we often had shoplifters that we took some pleasure in "policing." The shoplifters especially liked the 1.75 liter bottles of liquor that were stacked at the ends of aisles. We sometimes chased down the thiefs when they would grab bottles and run, and we even held them until police arrived on occasion. It was risky but we were young and there were always 3 or 4 of us and 1 or 2 of them.

One evening, however, we had spotted two shady looking guys creep into the store looking suspicious. One weasly guy with a backpack was just wandering the aisles and I was keeping my eye on him. As I walked toward where he was, one of my buddies called out some kind of warning to me that I don't really remember. I turned toward my friend with my back to the guy for a second, and suddenly this guy was holding me from behind with a gun pressed up into my neck and chin. He held me like that while a few other clerks came running over while trying not to provoke him. He was saying something to me, but I have no idea what it was. His friend ran out of the store during the commotion.

Just as suddenly as he had grabbed me, he let me go and turned me around while he slipped his gun under his belt at his back. It looked like a .45 automatic pistol. He said something like, "Now, never go and do that to me again," then spit in his hand (not really, but as in an oath or something from the wild west) and held it out to me to shake. I shook his hand in a daze and he backed out of the store. I realized that I had a cut on my chin where he shoved the gun, and my friends ran over to me.

The police arrived and found that he had gone into a bakery next door and put his gun on the table and sat there quietly. The patrons and workers left the store and the police entered arresting him without incident. His gun was actually a C02 pellet pistol but it was loaded and ready to fire. They charged him with assault with a deadly weapon because they said he could have killed me by shooting me in the neck at that close range. Needless to say, I never chased after shoplifters after that incident, and I felt different for awhile about being at the store.

My advice is to look out for yourself and call the police if you feel threatened or at risk in a shop. Try to defuse situations like that and get out of them as quickly as you can -- even by saying that you'll waive the charges or whatever it takes. I hope you never see that guy again, but steering clear is much more sound advice than "reverse stalking."
cool.gif

Be safe, and be well.

Al

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #32 of 61
I'm not siding with the guy that threatened the OP but the OP should probably not have asked for the full amount since she misquoted the price. She should just bite the bullet of the processing fee herself and inform the customer of the real price so that next time there would be no confusion. Again, I'm not condoning the customers reaction, just saying how the situation should have been handled.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #33 of 61
that's screwed up. sounds like this guy is a complete jerk, but i doubt anything will come of it. although i can see why you would be a bit worried. i would to if that happened to me.

Sep 4, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #34 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, it'd be much better off if they both had guns.
rolleyes.gif

If they wanted to kill her, guns aren't exactly necessary. Cars, knives, baseball bats, etc. Bare hands would work fine. Disparity of force works against her as the criminal gets to choose the time and place, not the victim.

Restraining orders don't do much, except a bit of unwarranted peace of mind. Never seen a piece of paper stop anything. It does let the guy know that he's gotten to you, which is likely all he wants.

As for pepper sprays, proper use is to deploy the spray, run like hell, then call the police when out of range. No reason to hang around.

Sep 4, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #35 of 61
Nothing says leave me alone like having someone bigger and stronger beat the living hell out of him. Of course that's just me, but if he were in my path the way he were yours, I'd probably just stomp on his face until he quit making noise, then pee on him. And take pictures. And put them on his facebook.

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing says leave me alone like having someone bigger and stronger beat the living hell out of him. Of course that's just me, but if he were in my path the way he were yours, I'd probably just stomp on his face until he quit making noise, then pee on him. And take pictures. And put them on his facebook.

Such anger...

Sep 4, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I would like to point out.

This whole thing was started by a mistake made by the OP. All of the charges should have been mentioned when he ordered, not after he ordered.

And if what redshifter said is true, what happened could have easily been seen as the OP overcharging him due to his race/religion(not say that is what happened).

You are right about the fact it started with a mistake from my side. I forgot to mention he had to pay for the developing as well, wich is really normal that you pay for that as well btw. And if the guy told me he was like huh? I didn't know about the developing cost I would have said, you are right. My fault, you can just pay for the pic and we'll skip the processing cost.
But there was no time for such thing.
It went too fast and when someone starts shouting and threatening my collegues like that it's certainly not the first thing that pops up in your mind. Maybe it should have, but it didn't. In the end we did only charge her the 0.39 cents so he did got what he asked for anyways.

Quote:

Also, the processing fee should have been waived. I don't know about the EU but in Canada it is illegal to add extra fees like that without notice.

If I was in his position, I would be pretty angry about how poor the service was I was receiving. And why I wasn't told of the extra fee's upfront. However, I would complain to a manager or owner, not throw juice and make threats.

On top of that, we don't give poor service. Paying for developing of a film is very normal and it hangs in our store so you can see that. It's not an extra fee, it's paying for a service wich seems very reasonable to me.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #38 of 61
Quote:

Just thought I would like to point out.

This whole thing was started by a mistake made by the OP. All of the charges should have been mentioned when he ordered, not after he ordered.

It was an honest mistake. It's no reason for someone to completely flip out. It would be like me freaking out every time sales tax was tacked on to stuff I buy because the sales tax isn't mentioned on the price tag.

Sep 4, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #39 of 61
Get a can of pepper spray. You never know what a guy like this is capable of. Next time you see him anywhere near you, spray until he's incapacitated.

If you REALLY want to be done with it, destroy his eyes while you're at it.

Gross, I guess, but if he's actually capable of harming a woman, I'd rather see him blind than incarcerated.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a can of pepper spray. You never know what a guy like this is capable of. Next time you see him anywhere near you, spray until he's incapacitated.

If you REALLY want to be done with it, destroy his eyes while you're at it.

Gross, I guess, but if he's actually capable of harming a woman, I'd rather see him blind than incarcerated.

/Bolded for emphasis.

Maybe not such a great idea, legally or otherwise.

Legally, even in barbaric places like Texas, any attack after the assailant is incapacitated is assault on your part. It's really hard to mount a defense if it's obvious, and it will be, that you scooped his eyeballs out after he was already on the ground and moaning. I have no idea what the laws are like in Holland, but I'll eat my hat if they're more permissive than the self defense laws for Texas.

Otherwise, well, he likely has friends or like minded family and you've just escalated big time. Bad idea.

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ew, god! I didn't mean SCOOP THEM OUT - I meant just keep spraying. It's my understanding pepper spray can cause permanent damage if applied too heavily...
..ew!!!

That sounds absolutely awesome! Would deoderant-spray have the same effect??

(scooping out sounds quite to my liking as well, but when all that blood and eyestuff comes under my nails iewww and over my clothes as well probably...a little too messy haha!)

Sep 4, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #43 of 61
Here's a thought.

Track down his girlfriend and tell her how her boyfriend is behaving.

Sep 4, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a thought.

Track down his girlfriend and tell her how her boyfriend is behaving.

She already experienced his first behaviour so I bet she knows this wasn't a single-event so that would be very useless imo.

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #45 of 61
Jerks are everywhere. They are like mad dogs. Undiciplined, insecure, and bite when they are pissed for any reason.

Emotionally speaking, "beat a crap out of the dog", but realistically speaking "Humans do not bite dog"

My thought is, you most likely will see another jerk like him as long as you're in the business. That is a part of the cost of getting money out of other people's pocket.

So, you need to get used for events like that, and think about how to deal with them while not harming yourself and the business. Tell manager or owner about it and ask what they would do if they are in that situation. They usually had dealt with jerks before, will tell you what they think is the best. Some case, they will deal jerks for you next time. Then, watch the way they deal with the jerks and learn from it, and make sure you don't make mistakes. Then you will be alright down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back