anyone able to provide their perspective on GS-1000 compared with denon d5000 markld
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #31 of 36
Hmm interesting. So the donuts sound like crap on the RS-1, but the bowls are actually ok on the GS-1000?

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #32 of 36
GS1000+bowls=crap, no matter what your preferences are, imo. They are build to use with own pads only. I have tried them with any possible combination: bowls, flats, Sennh.HD414 pads, flats+HD414 pads and never found them good, or even just acceptable.
They need a proper source to begin with and the amp will give them some extra support to shine.

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm interesting. So the donuts sound like crap on the RS-1, but the bowls are actually ok on the GS-1000?

Could be the case as GS-1000's have a really thick midrange (and bass) with bowls. As there are some people complaining about their slightly recessed midrange with donuts I wouldn't wonder about RS-1's with donuts having even less... probably lacking _too_ much. That's why people may think they sound like crap with donuts
wink.gif

My HF-1 with donuts for instance have indeed less midrange (especially lower midrange) than the GS-1000 with donuts.
Putting back the bowls on the HF-1 give them more mids than GS-1000 with donuts though. That's likely the case between GS-1000 and RS-1.

So why shouldn't it be the case that donuts sound worse on RS-1's but bowls are actually ok for GS-1k's?

Edit: But after all I still prefer the donuts to the bowls. While the latter really make them shine on some tracks, the donuts kill them in almost any other track. I really prefer to have a large soundstage with more details and sweet mids, than a really thick midrange.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 36
Don't forget that the standard GS-1000 pads were picked in the design by John ultimately. That is how they sound the best. Incredible instrument placement, imaging, sparkling highs. Lot's of air, detail and a huge soundstage all suffer with bowls.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #35 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned the K701s, RS-1s, and GS-1000s at the same time - for a long period of time. Guess which one I still have [size=xx-small](signature)[/size] The K701s sounded sterile even with tubes and was not really on the same level. I did like the K701s though, they just couldn't compete.

The RS-1s old tricks didn't excite me anymore after hearing the GS. It went bye bye. I owned the RS-1 for years and loved them (still a fan), but they were beat everytime in many areas. I compared them for almost a year before I let them go.

You do have to get your system right though if you're going to get the GSs. If it doesn't match it could be disaster. If it does, it's magic... musicality like no other.

I listened to the Markl modded Denons at a meet and thought they did everything well.... beyond that there wasn't much interesting about them. I was more blown away by the Stax Lambdas at the same meet. I guess the clubby and boxy sound of the Denons wasn't for me. But they didn't do much wrong that I could point out, they just didn't give me what the GS-1000s do... not even close.

I hesitate to recommend the GS-1000s because some people don't want to build a system around them and just plug them into what they have and are disappointed. Others, just don't connect or "get" the sound. So, I tell how they work for me and many others that have tuned them in, and then say the Denons would be the safer bet. But when has the safe bet ever paid off in spades? Up to you ultimately
wink_face.gif

Yes, just my words...
GS1000 with right system = pure magic. But a few days of accomodation with amplifier and listener is indicated.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that the standard GS-1000 pads were picked in the design by John ultimately. That is how they sound the best. Incredible instrument placement, imagine, sparkling highs. Lot's of air, detail and a huge soundstage all suffer with bowls.

Yeah... that's right after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back