anyone able to provide their perspective on GS-1000 compared with denon d5000 markld
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 36
The Grado GS1000 in my opinion sound awful, lots of bass and treble w/ no mids. The RS-1, or the RS-2 are much better sounding all across the sound spectrum.

However the RS-1 or the RS-2 are very different than the MarkL modded D5000. I have both and do not see my self selling either. Both are excellent.

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 36
I owned the K701s, RS-1s, and GS-1000s at the same time - for a long period of time. Guess which one I still have [size=xx-small](signature)[/size] The K701s sounded sterile even with tubes and was not really on the same level. I did like the K701s though, they just couldn't compete.

The RS-1s old tricks didn't excite me anymore after hearing the GS. It went bye bye. I owned the RS-1 for years and loved them (still a fan), but they were beat everytime in many areas. I compared them for almost a year before I let them go.

You do have to get your system right though if you're going to get the GSs. If it doesn't match it could be disaster. If it does, it's magic... musicality like no other.

I listened to the Markl modded Denons at a meet and thought they did everything well.... beyond that there wasn't much interesting about them. I was more blown away by the Stax Lambdas at the same meet. I guess the clubby and boxy sound of the Denons wasn't for me. But they didn't do much wrong that I could point out, they just didn't give me what the GS-1000s do... not even close.

I hesitate to recommend the GS-1000s because some people don't want to build a system around them and just plug them into what they have and are disappointed. Others, just don't connect or "get" the sound. So, I tell how they work for me and many others that have tuned them in, and then say the Denons would be the safer bet. But when has the safe bet ever paid off in spades? Up to you ultimately
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado GS1000 in my opinion sound awful, lots of bass and treble w/ no mids. The RS-1, or the RS-2 are much better sounding all across the sound spectrum.

However the RS-1 or the RS-2 are very different than the MarkL modded D5000. I have both and do not see my self selling either. Both are excellent.

X2 .... even a humble Alessandro MS-1 is much more to my liking.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #19 of 36
I'm all for the GS1000 AND the RS1, they sound so very different, I want (and bought) em both. Though if you want a 'better' 325i, go for the RS-1, and NOT for the GS1000.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #20 of 36
well the GS-1000 are on their way to me, i shan't be so proud as to acclain their shortcomings, if any, they will be sold if they dont fit with me, i will give them a few months trial, let them have 1000 hours burn, as i do with all my equipment, ley my ears attune to them and vice versa over that period

my rig is clinical-ish atm, and i fear the GS-1K arent going to get on with a clinical digital system.

i would much prefer to plug em in and be done, not cater to them too much as i am not in the market for another amp

however, if need be i will EQ them with a deq2496 in the chain and see if i can warm them up somewhat, but you never know, i may just like that sterile, piercing signature, contrary so and so that i am.

or..

an RA-1 will be aquired to give them the old school cheap warm thrills and synergy which has been so often talked about.

i like the grado sound, and whilst i understand these to deviate from that, i am looking forward to putting time and effort into mine and their settling in

the denons were good and were good all rounders i thought, but as someone mentioned, nothing immensely exciting.

thanks for the comments, and in a few weeks i will report back and answer my own question for myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though if you want a 'better' 325i, go for the RS-1, and NOT for the GS1000.

interesting, i can always trade down (that will be unique!) if i am not happy with them and buy the RS-1. perhaps my holy grail were the 325i, but i never realized it.

that would be nice to be able to downtrade and free up some cash for music and have cheaper phones!
tongue.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my RS1 and keep my GS1K.
Whenever I feel ilke the RS1,I just put the bowls on the GS1K.
biggrin.gif

So do they really sound the same? GS-1000 with bowls and RS-1? I'm just asking because someone mentioned it in another thread today.

That's why I'm playing around with the GS-1000 and bowls all day
biggrin.gif
. After seeming a bit awkward at the beginning, they sound really good after getting adjusted to them. Comparing them to other phones they definitely have this forward but sweet midrange people are normally saying about the RS-1.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting, i can always trade down (that will be unique!) if i am not happy with them and buy the RS-1. perhaps my holy grail were the 325i, but i never realized it.

that would be nice to be able to downtrade and free up some cash for music and have cheaper phones!
tongue.gif

I'd say the 325i road goes to the RS-1/2 to the PS-1, all have the same signature and get better with the PS-1 being the King of that type of sound(although very overpriced due to a small amount of them floating around.

The RA-1 does alright with the GS-1000s. I started with that and although it doesn't control the bass well, it does have a warm synergy that you talked about.... the GS-1000 gets way better though if you find it to your liking. It is in it's prime with tubes and vinyl - or CD players with a tubed output...

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 36
AFAIK RS1 is great, GS-1000+Bowls is crap. Therefore RS1=!GS-1000+bowls.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #26 of 36
My GS1000 and RA1 combo just keeps on surprising me after living with it for nearly a year now. I have started to wonder how it would sound with a WA2, WA6 or a SHA-1, but if do end with a good tube in the future, I will be keeping the RA1 for the tabletop.

And the SR325i will be grateful for a little warm-up too.

I think those two headphones contrast each other quite perfectly actually.

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MONVMENTVM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So do they really sound the same? GS-1000 with bowls and RS-1? I'm just asking because someone mentioned it in another thread today.

That's why I'm playing around with the GS-1000 and bowls all day
biggrin.gif
. After seeming a bit awkward at the beginning, they sound really good after getting adjusted to them. Comparing them to other phones they definitely have this forward but sweet midrange people are normally saying about the RS-1.

No, they do not sound the same.
Gs1k with bowls sound like RS1 + more bass (in a good way) ,fuller sound(thicker mid), and a bit less treble .

I'm not saying GS1K with bowls are better than RS1's.
RS1's sound clearler and sharper.
I think it depends on your preference.

redface.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Quaddy, what made you sell your Markl modded Denons?

the HD-800...a change, something new, exciting, different...all the usual cliches

but

then i got sidetracked in saving up, and got a part exchange trade in deal on new gs-1000, so thought i would try and rekindle my halcyon grado days

but am still aiming for either HD-800 or K1000 in addition to the GS-1K

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they do not sound the same.
Gs1k with bowls sound like RS1 + more bass (in a good way) ,fuller sound(thicker mid), and a bit less treble .

I'm not saying GS1K with bowls are better than RS1's.
RS1's sound clearler and sharper.
I think it depends on your preference.

redface.gif

That's what I thought after listening the whole day with bowls to them. I think I never heard such a full and thick midrange until know. Bass guitars and stuff like that sound godlike with them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back