Anybody take a shot at a blind repair of your TV?
May 3, 2011 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Happy Camper

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been having a problem with my TV going out. The pic and sound would go away for minutes to hours, sometimes coming back on with a loud pop, sometimes not at all. Last week, The power would come on and then shut off immediately. I searched for any other unfortunates that had this problem and found the maker had a poor soldered power supply. So I took out the board and re-soldered every solder joint on the board (about 200 joints). Just turned it back on and IT WORKS!!!!!

May 4, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Congrats! That does sound like a flaky power supply - I hope it holds up.

Also, good on you for fixing something instead of sending it to the landfill. :)

May 4, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #3 of 4
These old tube high def. tvs (IMO) still out perform the newer panels in picture quality. The colors and blacks still look better. We were prepared to get a Panasonic plasma and they are stunning (in the showroom) but these Pioneer Elites are worth their reputation.

I was going to get new tubes but the Tech said that unless you are having a tube failure, it'd be a waste of money. The tubes should last 20 years or more and are the most reliable components in the set.

May 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
We were prepared to get a Panasonic plasma and they are stunning (in the showroom) but these Pioneer Elites are worth their reputation.

The Kuro line was probably the best I've ever seen in both blacks and colors.  They don't make TVs like that anymore.

Now just gotta wait for OLED to get cheaply mass-produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back