Anybody making a big headphone purchase this year?
Apr 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

bluntman

100+ Head-Fier
Is anybody looking to make an expensive or inexpensive headphone purchase within this year? What is your eyes on?

For me, I don't know yet. There is just so much out there that I'm trying to find what's the next best pair for me.

Maybe a Beyerdynamic? Denon? People keep talking about Ultrasone and some other weird companies that I haven't yet tried; therefore, I really have to do some thorough research before making the next big move.

But who is ready for that next big move? You know, maybe you already own a pair or two and is looking for a third pair. What is that third pair and what will it be primarily aimed at?

I'm a bit confused at this time, but we'll see what happens.

I'd love to hear about your future headphone plans though!...yes, YOURS!
wink.gif
By future, I don't mean 2-3 years from now...maybe next week or whenever you decide?!

LET 'EM RIP!

wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 68
I just ordered some AKG K702 which is quite big (for my budget anyway). Hmm... not a third pair but an... eighth... hmm... getting out of hand maybe
biggrin.gif

I don't intend on keeping both them and the HD650 I already have though. I'm going to pit them against each other for a few weeks and keep the one I like the most. They are both mint so I should be able to trade or sell one without too much trouble.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 68
I just received my first ever pair of audiophile headphones yesterday (HD650's) whilst they're yet to burn in, I have to say that I have truly been missing out and I'm glad I took the plunge. Truly immersive listening.

I too went through extensive research, I think the research is half the fun!

Waiting now on the MK 1 amplifier to arrive from China.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 68
I have more than enough money to buy a T1 Telsa and a new tube amp, but I better back down before things get out of control
biggrin.gif

And I'm more than satisfied with my gear, so I'm most likely going to be purchasing a new amp rather than a new hp in the nearest future.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 68
I'll be buying cheap IEMs at some point. I tried my dad's old Shure E2 to get a feel for them, and while I liked the comfort the closed-in sound did not impress. So I'll stay cheap until I get a feel for this type of phone.

Also want to try a Senn (most likely HD600 because it's easier to drive than HD650) and a STAX. Might wait on the STAX until the fall of 2011, when I'm (probably) going to Japan and might be able to pick up a pair there. Most likely SR-001.

Though as far as "upgrading" goes, I'm still discovering what the HF2 can do. I had my first listen of Clapton's Unplugged on Monday and it was incredible. My ears were particularly good last night and I heard lots of things in my songs I don't normally pick up. With so much yet to experience with these, upgrading would be a waste of money.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 68
In the last two weeks I have purchased the following in this order:

DT48
DT880 / 250ohm
DT770 / 250ohm
ATH-M50
HD600
SRH840

I have my eye on the DT880 / 600ohm.

So I guess the answer is 'yes'.
L3000.gif

shane

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the last two weeks I have purchased the following in this order:

DT48
DT880 / 250ohm
DT770 / 250ohm
ATH-M50
HD600
SRH840

I have my eye on the DT880 / 600ohm.

So I guess the answer is 'yes'.
L3000.gif

shane

Damn man, you really notice a difference in quality between all of these beyers and different ohms? is it really necessary to have all of these different headphones?

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 68
why not spend all that money on one great headphone? I wish I had done that sooner (but maybe would appreciate what I have less... who knows)

Maybe I'll go for a Stax O2 somewhere near the end of this year, maybe I'll save some more and get the 'perfect' amp... don't know yet.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 68
It's addicative bluntman, I've got a feeling a year from now you'll be looking at half a dozen headphones on your desk and wondering what happened to your wallet too!
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #13 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why not spend all that money on one great headphone? I wish I had done that sooner (but maybe would appreciate what I have less... who knows)

Maybe I'll go for a Stax O2 somewhere near the end of this year, maybe I'll save some more and get the 'perfect' amp... don't know yet.

Easily said, but very few people have all those funds at once, they build up phones as and when they can afford them.

I guess one could always sell them all to fund the perfect set of phones if it was found.

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #14 of 68
Too much stuff in the past year that its getting out of control
smily_headphones1.gif

-Maxed Woo 5 + EML tubes
-HD800 + Fancy DHC cable
-Stax SR-007 Mk2
-Stax SRM-717
-AT W1000X
-PS Audio Pefectwave Dac
-PS Audio GCPH
-PS Audio Powerplant premier

Users who are viewing this thread