Anybody like Car Audio??
Feb 16, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
And that solution that you said actually sucks. It's in the miada seats, which my parents got for their MGB, and they suck.

Okay, I'm sorry
frown.gif
. BTW, did you know that Miada is Mexican Spanish por urine?
wink.gif
Anyway, with all that talk about money and how you should expend a good deal of it in the car, I think I'll rather leave the stock cassette player and speakers. I'll rather get a better set of cans or an amp.

Feb 16, 2002 at 9:33 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
Yea, and the Chevy Nova is spanish for NoGo....

no wonder they didn't sell...

Speaking as a true Chevy hater, I guess you never heard of the Chevy Nova 396 SS. They gave a lot of meaning to "There's no substitute for cubic inches."

Go like a SOB in a straight line. Don't try to turn or stop. Typical 60's muscle car, but they'd definitely GO. I still HATE CHEY's.

Long live the Blue Oval

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:09 PM Post #35 of 47
Never heard of Vifa, i would suggest Focal Utopia in custom kick panels. JL's new component set would also be a great choice

It's unfortunate that some of the world's best drivers are known only to speaker manufacturers and not end-users (or customers)

If you are willing to pay big bucks for Focal component sets I suggest looking into the Seas Lotus reference drivers and Audax HDA units.

I not go with memphis on this, the JBL 1200.1 $269 is a much better choice
the BP1200.1 is a good subwoofer (1 channel) amplifer. But what are you going to use to drive your front speakers?

The Memphis Belle is a superb 4 channel amp. Enough power to drive your subwoofer AND component fronts. 75W x 4 (4ohm), 10Hz-50Khz at 0.03% THD.
And don't take my word (or specs) for it- listen to it in action.

Little wonder it won a CES 2001 Innovations award.

Very good choice in subs, except i would use two so you can wire the JBL down to 2ohms and effectively give the shiva 600 rms

One Shiva, driven by a good amplifier will give thunderous amounts of bass. Unless you're entering SPL competitions do you really need more than one 12" subwoofer? (an especially a Shiva!?) To most people 2 Shivas will be overkill.. And it's not very practical- some people like to have a _little_ boot space left over.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, 300 dollars for a box, No way, you can eaisly build you own for no more than 40bux.

I don't think $300 for kickboxes, subwoofer boxes and other install costs is too much. In car audio a good install makes ALL the difference. I've seen people wack a perfectly good subwoofer into any ol' box, cut a hole in it and then complain that it doesn't perform as well as it should
("Hmmm, think I'll buy another 12 inch").

Unfortunately many car stereo buffs think a subwoofer box is just protective housing for the driver. This couldn't be further from the truth.

It's detrimental to skimp on the cabinet design and construction materials.

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #36 of 47
Yea, does anyone know anything about that THX certification for car audio that's coming out??

And, yea, I agree--spend lots of time/effort/money on the subwoofer box.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:00 PM Post #37 of 47
I wouldn't worry too much about THX car ceritification

According to:

Laurie Fincham, THX Director of Engineering.
"Buyers of a THX certified automotive system will get a car audio experience unlike any other - stunningly clear sound that is plainly audible above road noise under any conditions.''

WoW
<dripping with sarcasm>

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #38 of 47
There are different kinds of THX-certification. My guess is the car audio would fall more under the multimedia category, as per 3DSoundStage's description. Besides, it's basically saying a certain product meets certain specs, and we all know how much effect specs have on performance.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 47
As far as I know, the THX car audio stuff will mostly be given to those big, quiet cars that dont give you any sort of feel of the road... you know, caddy's, the like..

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #40 of 47
Does that one Lexus w/ the Mark Levinson system have it?

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:40 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Does that one Lexus w/ the Mark Levinson system have it?

No. You may have noticed that a lot of hi end hifi (or ultrafi as I like to call it) doesn't bother with THX certification.

eg. Halcro
(ok this is an extreme case, but it's the only amp that's got me drooling these days)

here's a link for the 2 Lexus cars with Mark Levinson systems.

http://www.soundlabsgroup.com/MarkLevinson/Default.htm

Feb 17, 2002 at 11:09 AM Post #43 of 47
car audio is not without its limits, but good sound can be attained throught the use of kickpanels and a sub. my opinion for a budget system is to keep costs on equipment to a moderate level, spend your money on the install. 300 for a 2000 dollar system is not nearly enough, at least for me. i'd spend a lot of that 300 just on hunting down rattles with sound deadening (and to cut down road noise), plus you've got the cost of good kick panels, neatly laid out wires and a solid box. rear speakers are unnecessary if you care about a good front stage.

another option that would give good imaging is using horns. extremely high efficiency (25 watts will get the highs louder than you will ever need), and wonderful imaging to boot.

Feb 17, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #44 of 47
I agree, installation is just as important as the components itself, if not more.

But the hell with horns, I like my drivers.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't think I'll bother with an expensive car audio system though, I'll spend maybe 2 grand at the most when I get my own truck.

Feb 17, 2002 at 7:16 PM Post #45 of 47
I've installed systems worth more than US$2,000. I also have friends who have about US$5,000+ worth of gear in their car, installed for a cost of around US$1,000.

But here's a secret.

Between you and me (and the rest of Head-fi), I'd rather spend that money on a good headphone and amp setup.

Or nice front speakers and power amplification for the home.

Much more bang for the buck.

Sssshhhhhh.

But like I said earlier, sure would be good to have $$$$$$$$ of disposable income. I'd get that Lexus SC430 for sure.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back