Anybody like Car Audio??
Feb 13, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 47
Purely stock 1990 nissan stanza. The paper speakers are disintegrating, hehe... Just not worth it to upgrade that car's audio system.

Feb 13, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 47
I have been thinking about the problem of car audio since I got my new car. The thing about the lack of stereo imaging, i think, could be solved by using small spakers in the sides of the driver and passenger headrests. Something like headphones for cars. Also, I am thinking about combining that with some sort of in dash amplifier with line in for a cd player, perhaps one of those with a remote control. So anyway, that's my crazy idea of the day.
biggrin.gif

Of course, the most practical solution is to keep the stock radio/cassette player and forget about it.

Feb 14, 2002 at 12:20 AM Post #18 of 47
All of my equipment is currently out of my car, me living in a different country and Dad (the only other person in my family who can drive a stick) not being inclined to listen to music mobilly, but when I get back, it'll look something like this:

Head: Denon DCT-950R: A headunit made for civilised human beings, with outstanding sonics and clean design bereft of flashing lights and other idiocy. No wonder they sold so few of 'em. (I have two, my spare being in Mom's car.) I only need a single CD, although I suppose I might try to figure out how to hook up an HDD MP3 player to it someday.

Xover: AudioControl 24XS. Does what it's told, and gets out of the way after that annoying turn-on thump.

Amp: PPI "Art Series" A404.2. (4 channels, 50 watts each into 4 ohms), Rockford Fosgate Power 300 (same, but bridged to 150 or so x 2). Whoo-hoo. They're amps.

Mains: KEF KAR System 160.Q mounted forward and low in the doors. These genuine made-in-the-UK KEFs (not to be confused with later blue-coned, Coustic-made models) are wonderfully coherent and are actually designed for this suboptimal placement, unlike many car systems.

Subs: Twin Image Dynamics IDQ-12s mounted in low-Qtc enclosures ahead of the front seats, operating in stereo. Keeping the subs up front allows for a coherent front-stage. The low-Qtc enclosures limit output in the "boom" range, but provide for accurate, musically satisfying, truly DEEP bass.

Rear fill delay processor: A Roland pro unit, can't remember the model.

Rear fill speakers: Audax HM-130Z0. Some of the quickest, most Sennheiser 580/600-like midrange drivers out there.

All of the equipment is "old" (ca. 1997) but there's nothing new I've seen that will compel me to upgrade. Especially in head units and speakers. Well, I might try out the DEI/Directed amps instead of the PPI and RF. But that's it. The IDQ's are not the last word in subs, but modern long-stroke, double-magnet subs are too deep for my placement.

NP: Natalie Merchant, "Sneak Your Heart" (Ophelia)

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:31 AM Post #19 of 47
Very nice taste.

Are the KEF's car audio or home audio. Im asking because i know KEF ventured into the car audio scene for about 5 years then went back to what they were good at, Home audio.

I dont believe that i have ever heard of Denon audio before...maybe a home CD reciever but not car audio. Thats pretty interesting....

And as a response to your belief that there is no need for new subs, if i had your system,i would be pleanty happy but there are definatly some new and exciting subs out there right now.

Feb 14, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #20 of 47
I had an ok system in my older Neon, Blaupunkt CD headunit, Pioneer 6.5's and 6x9's in the stock locations with the factory dash tweeters, and the 6x9's were powered by a 4x50 w Blau amp. Went as loud and hit as hard as I needed it to, and I very seldom if ever listened to any jazz, folk, or classical while driving, mostly just good old fashioned rock and roll. Then the car got broken into at work, all they succeeded in doing was messing up my faceplate (rank amateurs), but about that time I was starting to get into racing anyways, so even though I got a new Blau headunit from the insurance company, all I have now is the stock cassette deck and the two door speakers, and the rest was left out for some weight savings. I am very happy just listening to the radio now, and noone has any reason to break into the car.

Our new Neon came with an acceptable sounding cassette deck and six speakers from the factory, and I was going to put the new Blau headunit into it, but for safety sake, I just got a Kenwood CD changer and mounted it out of sight, under the seat, and got an adapter box for the stock stereo since it has CD changer controls built in (no FM modulated changer for me, tried one, didn't like it). I would've been happy with the stock system, but for long trips the changer will be nice.

Our Volvo station wagon that we got used several years ago already had a Sony CD headunit in it, so I left that and installed new front door speakers, and have new rear door speakers waiting to be installed out in the shop.

One thing that has caught my interest is something I read on (I think) Minidisc.org. Someone had put an amp and speakers in a car, but had no headunit. He somehow hooked up his portable MD player to the amp (or you could do PCDP, cassette, or MP3) and then just carried his portable source with him, and there was no danger of theft. It would certainly cut down on costs for separate headunits for each car, but wouldn't be as convenient. What I'll probably end up doing is getting an inexpensive CD headunit that still sounds ok, and has an 1/8" stereo input jack. That way I can easily hook up a walkman for books on tape, or MP3 player for long trips, while still having my two most used sources available and convenient all the time, CD and radio.

-Keith

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
I have been thinking about the problem of car audio since I got my new car. The thing about the lack of stereo imaging, i think, could be solved by using small spakers in the sides of the driver and passenger headrests. Something like headphones for cars. Also, I am thinking about combining that with some sort of in dash amplifier with line in for a cd player, perhaps one of those with a remote control. So anyway, that's my crazy idea of the day.
biggrin.gif

Of course, the most practical solution is to keep the stock radio/cassette player and forget about it.

You don't HAVE to sacrafice stereo imaging. And that solution that you said actually sucks. It's in the miada seats, which my parents got for their MGB, and they suck.

Anyway, onto where you can get stereo imaging... you know that footrest under the steering wheel where you rest your left foot? When you get an enclosure for that area, it is one of the best places to put speakers (the tweeter and midrange) as it is angled at you and, therefore, you are on-axis for the front speakers and can get decent soundstage and stereo imaging. Of course, you are going to play the rear speakers at a much reduced level, so as to not mess your soundstaging up, and you are going to need some sort of subwoofer for the bass...

btw, I asked an Engineer who basically specializes in car audio systems, and he said that this was, oftentimes, the best way to go.

In fact, another interesting thing to note is that, for the past four years, all the major speaker manufacturers for car speakers have been copying off of each other, and, therefore, it isnt the brand of speaker that matters, but where you put it, in what enclosure, and how you set up your system that matters most...

Feb 14, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #22 of 47
Unless you spend most of your life in your damn vehicle, it doesn't make sense to invest a lot into car audio system or if that's your passion. Only if you have money to blow...

Feb 15, 2002 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Unless you spend most of your life in your damn vehicle, it doesn't make sense to invest a lot into car audio system or if that's your passion. Only if you have money to blow...

Besides which, You're supposed to be paying attention to the ROAD and other TRAFFIC around you. Unless you're parked. All that stuff is wonderful for contests, if you can afford it or you are out for trophies, not music.

Playing these "Boom-Box" noise systems that cause the sheet metal to flex on these small cars has nothing to do with music. It's one note bass. I'm sure not many Head-Fi members do that, because we've all discussed the damage to the ears from excessive volume, not just from 'phones.

Cars, even Rolls, are not designed to be an audio/music/premium sound environment. Even the Martin Logan systems and all the other Designer systems can't begin to sound as good as a mid priced mid fi system in the average room.

Get a decent sound system, maybe 12 disc changer, and if you really think you have to, add a small amp. Most factory speakers are going to give you all the sound quality you can use in the real world of traffic noise, road noise, life noise in a car. If that's not good enough, like I said, you need to be parked. You're too distracted to be driving on public roads.

Feb 15, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #24 of 47
HEY!! I am going to build a subwoofer box with a 10" enclosure, with all the right formulas and damping material, going for a response that gets lots of extension and tightness! sure, it will start rolling off quicker than the big boom ones, but it'll be a more gradual roll-off, and I want tight bass!!

Feb 15, 2002 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 47
I am on the other end of the spectrum, here. I am so sick of hearing crappy sounding, loud, boomy car stereos, played at stupid volume levels without regard to anyone who is subjected to the poor taste in music displayed by the owner of the car, that I would happily vote to outlaw such devices. I listen to Headphones because of car stereos.

Feb 15, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #26 of 47
Has anyone here ever looked at your stock speakers? I don't know, maybe newers cars come with better factory speakers, but the ones in my car were awful!! They were the cheapest looking pieces of crap I'd ever seen. The sound is now considerably improved and I can't think of going back to my old speakers. On the other hand, the stock system that came in my mom's car is considerably better than mine, but then again, it cost A LOT more. Anyway, I don't think upgrading your car speakers, maybe installing an amp or a head unit too, is a big waste of money. I spend a good amount of time in my car and really enjoy listening to music while driving.

Feb 15, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #27 of 47
What goes with unbearably irritating crap-ass sounding flat single frequency beaters? Ricers, they digust me. But it's funny when they try to race you on the street in their mini 4pots.
biggrin.gif

Now the trunk of a nice truck filled with good dynamic subwoofers being properly driven for competition (inside large open building) I think is pretty cool.

What's the difference? Amateur (sloppy) vs Professional (class). Usually dumb kids doing it vs people who know what they are doing. Attention vs People actually enjoy this stuff. Oh and the fact that the boom boom boxes sound beyond awful.

Feb 15, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #28 of 47
The most effective way to improve your car audio, (in a manner that also leaves a bit of room for further upgrade) is

1. replace your stock speakers, the better drivers should go in the front (rear speakers only for "rear- fill")
2. if your headunit has a pre-out, install an amp, if not, go to step 4.

3. install a subwoofer (if necessary- and a good quality 8" is fine)
4. install a headunit.

with car audio, the installation is JUST as important as the gear itself. I've heard fantastic results using mid-priced gear due to a good install, and poor results with expensive equipment and a crappy install.

A friend of mine has high end Clarion headunit, 2 x Alpine V12 4- channel amps, dual 12" Alpine subwoofers in a ported box, Alpine 6.5" splits up front and Alpine 6x9's at the back. Whole setup cost almost US$3000.

And all squashed in a little hatchback. Ice-pick-in-the-ear treble up front, back shaking bass if you're sitting in the front seats (and nauseating bass if you're in the back).

<sigh>

Here's my choice for a car audio system that focuses on sound quality (for under $2000)

head unit-Pioneer DEH-P6400 $500; or if you want to play .mp3, the DEH-P7400MP $600.
amplifier-Memphis Belle $500
front speakers-Vifa M18WN + D26NC+ crossover $200
subwoofer-Adire Audio Shiva 12" $150, in a sealed box or properly tuned vented box.

$100 for wiring, fuses, accessories etc. $300 for subwoofer box, install costs etc.

Feb 16, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #29 of 47
Here's my choice for a car audio system that focuses on sound quality (for under $2000)

head unit-Pioneer
Pioneer is very good
amplifier-Memphis Belle $500
I not go with memphis on this, the JBL 1200.1 $269 is a much better choice
front speakers-Vifa M18WN + D26NC+ crossover $200
Never heard of Vifa, i would suggest Focal Utopia in custom kick panels. JL's new component set would also be a great choice
subwoofer-Adire Audio Shiva 12" $150, in a sealed box or properly tuned vented box.
Very good choice in subs, except i would use two so you can wire the JBL down to 2ohms and effectively give the shiva 600 rms

$100 for wiring, fuses, accessories etc. $300 for subwoofer box, install costs etc.
Wow, 300 dollars for a box, No way, you can eaisly build you own for no more than 40bux.

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 47
Hell YES spend the money on the subwoofer box!!

You do realize that the only way to get the type of bass you want (not one note bass! that actually has some decent extension, but where you don't have to get a huge gigantic subwoofer [and htereby sacrafice resolution at many of the higher frequencies] to get it!) is to get the type of subwoofer enclosure you want??

And spend money on custom panels in which to place the speakers, so the sound doesn't suck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back