anybody know anything about AKG k44?
Mar 26, 2003 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bthorny
just bought them but, I really don't know anything about them, how much do they usually run for and how good do they sound.

i made a search for these when arriving on the forum; the serie K44-K55-K66 seems to be quite similar according to the reviews. Not too bad for the price, a bit bright, good for classical. But outclassed for the rest by the porta pro. The usual price is 30$ iirc. I never tried to actually hear them, but you should tell us what they actually worth
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by bthorny
just bought them but, I really don't know anything about them, how much do they usually run for and how good do they sound.

I use the K44's with my computer. I have them plugged directly into my sound card. They are very good for computer use, but I don't use them for serious Music listening. Got mine for $29.99 at www.zzounds.com

Apr 11, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Mine finally arrived on first listen I thought not bad but, not awesome either but, for what I paid ($9 shipped off of ebay) they can't be beat. As far as a cheap cover the ear sealed phone goes.

I will post a somewhat detailed review this weekend, I also just got my first amp in today.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I wanted some cheap cans for a bit of fun and got the K44s. I am delighted with them.

They are very plastic, very light, fit very well around the ear with the clever AKG self adjusting band. The leatherette pads are sweaty and I keep lifting them to air out my ears.

They are good for classical and jazz and retain that AKG strength of detail. The bass is tuned quite high and can be muddy and dull. Kick drums are just a thud with no detail. But tat means they can also be considered for dance and heavy rock. The midrange is lovely and clear with a nice dynamic to it. I would guess some would find them too forward and bright, but I like that. Single cymbal strikes are clear, but other cymbals become one big tizz. So they are all rounders with no major weaknesses and no huge strengths. I find them musical and tap my foot and get goosebumps when listening to my favourite tracks.

For the £11 I paid off ebay they are great. I would rate them over the Sennheiser HD201 and 202 which are also over ear, closed back and cheap.

It is a shame they are quite large as they work really well unamped out of an ipod. Sensitivity is high at 32ohms and 115 dbV SPL. Add a FiiO and if anything they can be too much and the FiiO needs to be turned right down, losing some of its dynamic. Out of a X-CANV8P they really sing, again majoring on clarity.

So for sound they are the best cheap cans I have heard. They are mainly let down by the sweaty ears problem.

Mar 26, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 10
The only disadvantage is their response on the low frequency side, is a bit lacking.
Overall, they are good for the price.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 10
I agree, they feel more closed backed than my other closed backed cans the Goldring NS1000. It is as if I can hear a faint echo of trailing notes still there when they should not be. Still, they were £11.

EDIT - Impressions as 50 hours of listening. The clarity is superb. The soundstage is all in my head. They my least comfortable cans, due to the horrible pads. They sound the same now as they did when I first got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back