Anybody got any opinions on Sennheiser HD 558 (modded to be like 598)
Jan 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

halehaler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to invest in some headphones and after a few hours of research I have found these, and heard they can be modded to sound more like the 598's.

Are these good headphones? And are they any other headphones I should reconsider? I've also heard the 25-1's and HD 380's and Hd600's are good?

Also, I listen to pretty much all mainstream music, just not classical and not much rap. finally, would I need an amp, if so which one (ideally portable).

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 8
As far as I know the the 558's can be modded (removal of the foam strip) in a similar fashion to the 555 --> 595 mod.

I got the 558's today and my previous phones were two sets of Grado SR80's which I had for 4 years. I wont have an amp till this weekend and they're quite obviously not burned in but so far they are everything I had hoped for. The soundstage they present is especially impressive and it makes the Grado's sound flat in comparison. 

Everything I've read would indicate that you should definitely amp these if you want to get the best out of them. 

Jan 13, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 8
ive got the hd 558 (got em for bout 140 canadian) and they are a pair of real sweet `phones, im not much of an audiophile but basically the foam mod works like this:

the foam is made of the resistant bouncy foam that you would find a kid using for some craft

sennhieser uses this foam to restrict some of the driver`s movements so when this is removed, the driver can move more,

but that still doesn`t mean you will get the exact same sound as the HD 598 because even though they use the same drivers, they have different grills

the grills affect how the drivers intake air from the outside thus affecting the soundstage

when i compared my sennhieser 558 stoke vs my friend`s 558 modded i found that it increased the bass with a tiny trade off of really specific peices of detail, (it could be just me)

but i find that the stock 558`s are a pair of really balenced headphones and i only plan to mod them when i can get a hold of HD 598 grills

BTW if anyone finds em let me know

About your other options
25-1's and HD 380's may be more for you if you are going to use it for portability but  they sound more like the sound is coming from a boxed in source or room while the 558 and the 600 are more surround and natural

the hd 600 has the best sound without a doubt in the group but 600 are strictly for home and hifi use as it has a 300 ohm impadence which is way too much for any portable devices to power without an amp (if you are going to go for headphones of these caliber get the HD650`s for about the same price)

and the sennheiser 558`s probably the best choice, it has amazing sound, and is relativly easy to power with a 50 ohm impadence (regular in ear buds are about 16ohm)

traveling problems with it would include its major sound leakage and its long cable (3M with quarter inch jack, can be fixed if you find a shorter replacement cable, if you find one plz tell me)

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 8
I believe some folks commented that because the housing is different on the 558 it doesn't have as much control, but I'm sure the sole purpose of the foam is to reduce resonance in the more resonant partial 558 construction, I will experiment with strategically placed blu tac or indeed reducing the surface area of the foam by cutting out the middle to see if this devails the 558 while at the same time dampening the inherent resonant characteristics.

Jun 24, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I believe some folks commented that because the housing is different on the 558 it doesn't have as much control, but I'm sure the sole purpose of the foam is to reduce resonance in the more resonant partial 558 construction, I will experiment with strategically placed blu tac or indeed reducing the surface area of the foam by cutting out the middle to see if this devails the 558 while at the same time dampening the inherent resonant characteristics.

Did you do that experiment reducing the surface area of the foam? I did the foam mod last night and all I can tell a difference of is the bass seems to have a bit more volume, and I noticed at first the treble stood out more to me but now I don't notice much of a difference because my auditory memory isn't too good, plus I am new to this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back