Anybody buy cans from B&H?
Jan 31, 2007 at 2:07 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're implying they hire only Jews? Uhh...religious discrimination in aisle 3!
tongue.gif

I think it's a family owned, run and staffed shop.

Highly recommended, and I have sent friends and family to them with no bad press coming back.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any satisified (or unsatisified) customers relate their experience with B&H Photo and Video. They seem to consistently have good deals.

They are my favorite electronic store. They have a very big and busy store in the middle of NYC.

So far I bought Shure E3, E4, and my brand new iMac from them. I am very happy with their service. Definitely try them.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can any satisified (or unsatisified) customers relate their experience with B&H Photo and Video. They seem to consistently have good deals.

My experience (though limited) has been nothing but good!
That's where I got my Beyer DT770pro's from.

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 42
The only limiting factor I found when dealing with B&H is there short return period. I think you only have 7 days in which to return your headphones for full refund. If you know what you want, then this is no big deal. However, if you are not sure if you will like the headphones, then you are better off going with TTVJ or Headroom with their 30 day return guarantee.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 42
I personally did not order anything from B&H, but 2 of my coworkers have a long history of buying photography-related stuff from them, and both are very happy.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you're implying they hire only Jews? Uhh...religious discrimination in aisle 3!
tongue.gif

Also, I think BH is located in a highly Jewish populated area. At least when I was there I saw a lot of the same beards and hats walking around on the streets. I'm not too keen with my NYC ethnic population mapping though...

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #38 of 42
B&H is excellent to deal with. I buy almost all of my photo equipment there. My headphone purchases there were just a drop in the bucket dollarwise, but they were handled flawlessly.

They deal with a number of professionals. I don't know if they have a "satisfaction guaranteed" for 30 day policy. Check. But I doubt that they are the place to order 3 pairs of different headphones, and return 2 (actually, I wouldn't do that to anyone). They are great, however, if they send you a defective product--return authorization and new product, no sweat. If they say it's in stock, it is.

Bottom line, if you know what you want, they are great.

Oh yeah, there are a couple of posts in this thread which seem to reflect at a bare minimum, ignorance. I'll just leave it at that.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #39 of 42
Got a Canon L series lens for a very good price from them; then got stuffed for customs and excise on delivery to the UK (not B and H's fault). Just one of the drawback of living in the UK: tax, tax tax..

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by JXBJXB
They've been around since long before there was e-commerce - one of the more well-respected NYC photo gear houses and top notch. You won't have any problems with them. Don't try to get customer service on a Friday afternoon or a Saturday, though, as they are closed for the Jewish sabbath (Shabbat). But they are open Sunday.

For those old enough to remember, B&H may be carrying on the proud tradition of 47st Photo - one of my favorite retailers of all time. 47st was even on 60 Minutes once in a Christmas shopping report. I believe they were Hasidic(sp?). So, indeed, it was a little different trying to call them on a Friday afternoon or Saturday. The family sold out some time ago - a shame. Not coincidentally, it was about the same time when the US distributors for Japanese cameras stopped honoring warranties for grey market photo equipment.

I think B&H was relatively new at that time - or at least new in competing in that arena - so they hung around. My experience with B&H since then - about 20 yrs - has been very, very good. Last year, I ordered a Sony V6 and the Beyer velour cushions - which they display as an accessory for the V6 - very satisfied.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I agree with Ruppin up there about a couple of these posts. However, it was interesting enough to mention it at the time 47st was in business. The explanation was always forthcoming when you tried to find out why they wouldn't answer the phone on Friday-Saturday.

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I think BH is located in a highly Jewish populated area. At least when I was there I saw a lot of the same beards and hats walking around on the streets. I'm not too keen with my NYC ethnic population mapping though...

Well, it IS in NYC... so yeah, sorta - but as far as I know, there isn't any bigger a concentration of jewish people in that part of Manhattan ... it is right in the heart of things in midtown - on 34th and 9th - 34th as you may well know is a very busy and touristy area (Empire State building is across town on 34th and 5th). I'm kinda spoiled living right there - I can go whenever I want (but I also have to pay NYC sales tax YUCK!) but I always tell fellow tech-geeks that if they are in NYC, screw times square, but make sure you get to B&H!!! That's MY kind of sight-seeing!

Anyway, I like everyone else have had nothing but good experiences with them - from a $20 lav mic for my minidisc recorder to a $3500 DVCAM tape deck - I've always had great experiences there... no hassle, no upsell, no 'courtesy calls', etc. All good, all positive - even the prices.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

P.S. I agree with Ruppin up there about a couple of these posts. However, it was interesting enough to mention it at the time 47st was in business. The explanation was always forthcoming when you tried to find out why they wouldn't answer the phone on Friday-Saturday.

It still is. Look at the store calendar sections, and hour sections of the web site. It still would be if you called to place a catalog (which they have) order and you spoke to a person. Just ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back