Any W1000 or DT880 owners here who actually prefer the HD600?
Feb 23, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #31 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
LOL, you may be smiling, but your wallet is crying... [size=xx-small]on the inside[/size]
biggrin.gif

Not only that, it'd be a nightmare to keep track of the singer/headphone combinations... OK, let me take a look at my spreadsheet...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, maybe all I need is a highend EQ?
confused.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #32 of 59
Quote:

I'm sure we won't have to wait too long for Sennheiser's answer, called «HD 700». I'm curious.

I think this one's gonna take a bit...I'm actually more curious to see AKG's two new headphones that are coming out.

Feb 23, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #33 of 59
I suppose I'm going against the grain here, but the W1000 just doesn't suit my tastes. It's a bit too bright, and I definitely miss the HD600's soundstage..something tells me I'll be going back to the venerable HD600 + tube amp combo pretty soon. So, who wants to purchase an almost-new W1000?
smily_headphones1.gif

- Wasif.

Feb 23, 2003 at 10:41 PM Post #34 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by wasifazim
So, who wants to purchase an almost-new W1000?
smily_headphones1.gif

- Wasif.

How much do you want?
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #36 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by nArKeD
How do you guys think the 880's compare to the rest of the Beyer line?

My only other Beyer experience is with my 15-year old DT-990s.

No comparison. The 880s represent another level entirely IMO, not that the 990s are bad.

Feb 24, 2003 at 11:57 AM Post #37 of 59
In the last month, I've been going back and forth from the DT 880s to the ATH-A1000s with the HD 600s sitting quietly in the box. Yesterday, I was thinking about putting the HD 600s up for sale, but gave them another listen. Suffice to say that the HD 600s will be staying. They remain an all-round class act.

The DT 880s are indeed extraordinary, especially for the price. I would rate these slightly ahead of the HD 600s. The A1000s have gotten some rave reviews here, but I would not place them ahead of the HD 600s. Maybe it's because I prefer the sound of an open headphone? (Anyone interested in the A1000s? I may get the Sony CD 3000s instead.)

Feb 24, 2003 at 4:50 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Yesterday I spent a few hours directly comparing my CD3000s, W2002s, HD600s and DT880s.

I believe the DT880s are destined to become the next big thing on Head-Fi--and justifiably so.

I knew I should not have read this thread. My wallet is squealing.

John

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by nArKeD
How do you guys think the 880's compare to the rest of the Beyer line?

Well, I own DT770s and the DT931s and here's my quick first impression after a first weekend with the DT880s. The DT880s have bits of both of these Beyer families, but I think they lean a bit towards the DT931 side. Before anyone jumps to a conclusion, they only have some similarities. The DT880s have great mids like the DT931, but the brightness is nowhere to be found. To me, the DT880 is what the DT931 should have been with a better soundstage and a bit of that DT770 bass. No, the bass is nowhere near the DT770s. That's probably my one complaint about these cans so far is lack of bass. I'm quite used to the DT770s, so for most of my sources, the bass isn't nearly as good as I'm used to hearing. Yes, I am a basshead, so this isn't a bad thing for everyone and something that I'm keeping an open mind on. On the other hand, they probably are exactly where they need to be soundwise. My Senn HD580 had a nice soundstage, but the treble rolled off too much and the bass was just ok. The DT880s have it all. Nice treble, nice mids, and decent bass. The clarity and soundstage are fantastic. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. I haven't heard the HD600s much less one with the upgraded cable, so I can't compare, but I think very few would be disappointed with the DT800s. Out of all the cans that I own, these are the most neutral and balanced that I have.

The look and feel are definitely DT770ish which I really like. No problems with comfort for me at all. They are contrary to Beyerdynamic, open. They almost leak as much sound as my HD580, but that's not an issue for me since I am at home. The construction is excellent. Very much like the DT770/DT990 construction which I consider quite solid. You're not going to want to throw them around, but I don't find myself being as careful as I am with my Senn 580s.

Overall, I'm part of Team Beyer, so I wasn't surprised that I would like these cans. What did surprise me was just how good they are. I can't wait to see how these babies sound when they get broken in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #40 of 59
NOooooo this thread is evil...
/me puts a stake through his wallet's inner lining before it runs off to spill its guts

Feb 24, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #41 of 59
Trying to cool this thread down a little bit...

I agree with Suedama: I would by no means sell my HD 600 for the DT 880. I think the latter is the better headphone, but not by far. And there are indeed some recordings with which I clearly prefer the Senn – while with the Beyer the treble is exaggerated to a degree which can be annoying, and sometimes I even would like some more mids. That's the price for the detail and one thing I first have underestimated: the treble accentuation can be an issue.

frown.gif
JaZZ

Feb 25, 2003 at 5:58 AM Post #42 of 59
Hmmm...

Still don't know which one to buy.
biggrin.gif

Maybe I should wait until more people get some impressions on the headphones before buying anything. I don't have enough money to waste.
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #43 of 59
and as anyone who read all the reviews on the DT880 knows, Matt prefers the HD600 with his Melos Maestro. So, yes, there are people who do not like the sound of the DT880 over the HD600. Of course, Matt's setup is unique. It has been tweaked and synergy is definitely working in his favour.

Feb 25, 2003 at 8:46 AM Post #44 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Spiffyis5150
The DT880s have great mids like the DT931, but the brightness is nowhere to be found. To me, the DT880 is what the DT931 should have been with a better soundstage and a bit of that DT770 bass.

Are you comparing the DT931 with an increased impedance?
I use the 120ohm oehlbach and it has totally transforms the phone..

The DT931 NEEDS the increased impedance to sound any good.
I cant stress enough how important the DT931 NEEDS that increased impedance, NEEDS!

Feb 25, 2003 at 10:22 AM Post #45 of 59
I can't believe all this talk especially since I just got my HD600. I'm actually wondering what people's musical tastes are since that's probably the biggest determinent.

Perhaps we should also wait a few months when the infatuation is worn off given that Jazz is already retracting a bit on his glowing review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back