Any W1000 or DT880 owners here who actually prefer the HD600?
Feb 23, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood
HappymaN, I think this is incorrect. Here's what Jan posted recently in his brief review of the DT880.

As for myself, I much prefer the sound of the DT880 to that of the Senn HD600.
biggrin.gif

What is it that you didn't like about the HD600 joe? Did you just find them dull/boring?

Feb 23, 2003 at 6:51 AM Post #17 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
ooheadsoo...

Er... since I'm too old to put myself in a (poor) student's position (I mean: who knows how much money today's students have at their disposal...), I really can't answer this. But yes, I have it since Friday, and to my ears it's like an advanced HD 600. Just a bit less comfortable (so far) and beautiful.

(I wouldn't have too great expectations in the aluminum case, but the headphone is worth them.)

smily_headphones1.gif

JaZZ - are the DT880 and the Corda Blue a good match? Would you describe the sound as smooth/cohesive/non-fatiguing?

I just realised that procrastination has prevented me from taking advantage of Jan's sales action.
frown.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by HappymaN
What is it that you didn't like about the HD600 joe? Did you just find them dull/boring?

That about sums it up pretty much. At the time I first got them, I was very much taken with the Grado sound. The Senns just never did anything for me. Unfortunately, I don't have them anymore, but I am curious to see (hear) what I would think of them now, particularly with an upgraded cable, such as the Equinox or Cardas.

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 59
Quote:

...but I am curious to see (hear) what I would think of them now, particularly with an upgraded cable, such as the Equinox or Cardas.

Well I'm sure your credit card is sitting in your back pocket right now. Go for it joe!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 10:48 AM Post #20 of 59
i, too, was not entirely impressed with the hd600. of course, it was not properly driven nor did it have an upgraded cable when i owned it -- but i found the layed-back presentation to be lacking in stimulation.

i'm just one of those people that enjoys something a little more forward. the hd600 are very nice cans, but they didn't quite "do it" for me.

like joe, i wonder if the hd600's would stand out more for me had they been matched to a quality amp and with the cardas or equinox upgrade. but now that i've obtained my w1000, that curiousity is contained to just that -- a curiousity. it no longer consumes my entire being (and my itching wallet). in other words, the stock w1000 satisfied MY ears to a certain degree that the stock hd600 could not.

Feb 23, 2003 at 11:04 AM Post #21 of 59
It seems to me that the certain people who have owned either of the phones, after first owning the HD600's, have moved their liking for the HD600's down to the 2, 3, or 4 spots instead of #1! That has to be saying something about the popularity of these newer phones (the W1000 or the DT880). I may have to try either of these very soon. Must.......not......tempt.......wallet!!!!

Feb 23, 2003 at 6:19 PM Post #22 of 59
HappymaN...
Quote:

JaZZ - are the DT880 and the Corda Blue a good match? Would you describe the sound as smooth/cohesive/non-fatiguing?

...unfortunately my Corda Blue is already packed and on the way to its buyer...
wink.gif
But from my memory I would say it's a very good match – the DT 880's slightly accentuated treble and the Corda's slightly dark presentation. The sound is indeed very smooth and cohesive, very similar to the HD 600 in this regard. Only the treble thing could be an issue with certain recordings, but I notice a smoothing of the highs with progressing burn-in. Not really fatiguing though, and no danger of sibilance. The treble itself is beautiful and smooth.

I guess at least 19 of 20 persons would prefer the DT 880 to even a cable-upgraded HD 600. There's more detail, the soundstage is even more impressive without appearing artificial and without any hollowness, the bass is bassier and rounder, and the over-all resolution is higher, even in the midrange, the HD 600 domain. My own judgement falters between slightly and clearly better. But still I'm appreciating the HD 600's qualities, which seem to be continued and increased in the shape of the DT 880.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 59
Jazz,
According to your statement above, the DT880 seems like the "best buy" headphone then. I wish spend my 210 dollars during the sale event.

Purk

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #24 of 59
Yesterday I spent a few hours directly comparing my CD3000s, W2002s, HD600s and DT880s.

Nothing I've ever heard compares to the DT880s in the price/performance area. They are significantly better than the HD600s in my view and even rival the CD3Ks and W2002s in most important ways.

I believe the DT880s are destined to become the next big thing on Head-Fi--and justifiably so.

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:50 PM Post #25 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
Yesterday I spent a few hours directly comparing my CD3000s, W2002s, HD600s and DT880s.

Nothing I've ever heard compares to the DT880s in the price/performance area. They are significantly better than the HD600s in my view and even rival the CD3Ks and W2002s in most important ways.

I believe the DT880s are destined to become the next big thing on Head-Fi--and justifiably so.

Dammit.
mad.gif

I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone...
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #26 of 59
I'm sure we won't have to wait too long for Sennheiser's answer, called «HD 700». I'm curious.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #27 of 59
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88
Dammit.
mad.gif

I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone. I don't need another headphone...
wink.gif

Actually I feel exactly the opposite.
tongue.gif

I feel the need for more and more headphones...
redface.gif

While I think w2002 is a great headphone, it's not perfect, I cannot stand listening to Cecilia Bartoli on w2002, while she's beautiful on HD580. On the other hand, Diana Krall is much more satisfying on w2002 than on HD580.

Seems like I need a dedicated headphone for each singer/performer....
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

biggrin.gif

LOL, you may be smiling, but your wallet is crying... [size=xx-small]on the inside[/size]
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back