Any Vonage users?
Sep 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
If you use Vonage, what's it like? It seems a MUCH better deal than my land line, I'd appreciate any comments people have on it.

I'd save at least $150 a year over my land line, that we hardly use. And free calls back home to England is mighty appealing too

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 10
It gets the job done. The only real issue I've had with the service is it requires a good bit of upload bandwidth to function properly. It's only a problem when I'm seeding some torrents and I have to drop my upload to less than 20kbps or the sound gets real choppy. And for the record, the real cost of the service is just shy of $30 a month once they add taxes and fees. Not much, but still higher than the $24.99 they always advertise. Still cheaper than everything else out there.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 10
I prepay a year at a time, its been awesome but unfortunately they just got hit with 2 huge legal judgements against them and there is more pending so it doesnt look good for them to survive. I hope I am wrong they have provided a very good, and reasonable alternative to my local Verizon POTs line that is mostly various ad hoc taxes which is why I left the first time.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 10
I can't complain either. Sometimes I'll get echo during a conversation but only on occasion. It's cool to have hour long conversations with someone that is long distance and not have to think about the charges. Plus, I'm rural enough that my cell doesn't get a strong signal so this is the next best thing to "free" long distance.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 10
I've used Vontage for about 1 1/2 years. it's been very good. I have the 500 minute/month plan for $19.95. with taxes I pay about $22.00. I was paying Bellsouth $55.00 a month and not useing 500 minutes. The 500 minute plan works for me because my mobil is Alltel and with that I get the 10 land or mobile numbers free anytime.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 10
I've been using Vonage for about a year and a half as well. Only issues I've had are when you need to call customer service. I found out recently that they're on-shoring though.

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 10
I've been using Vonage for a few months, and VOIP for years. I've come to think of it as simply "the phone". In other words, it's there and it works as it's supposed to most of the time. I stopped thinking about it being different from land line after about a week of use. what I'm trying to say is that VOIP has proven to me that it can be just as reliable as land line at a fraction of the cost.

I switched to Vonage when Sunrocket went belly up. If Vonage's legal problems cause it to go belly up, I'm just going to make do with my mobile.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Loved Vonage because I set up "virtual" numbers for my kids out-of -state so the calls were not long didtance for them. That feature costs more but is worth it to me. I also like the online call records, in and out. Never had issues with call quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back