any vegan/vegetarians here?
Nov 9, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #16 of 55
I wont eat anything that casts a shadow
rolleyes.gif

fashion a turkey out of beans
icon10.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 55
One of my wife's best stories involves the time when she was a teenager that her father and stepmother had some Tibetan lamas/rimpoches at their house for Thanksgiving. Everything had to be vegetarian, and the main dish was some form of lentil loaf.

The best part of the evening was the chanting at the beginning of the meal that lasted like 15 minutes solid. My wife and her sister and her dad were trying not to laugh and eventually made eye contact after the sustained chanting had been going on for some time. They couldn't hold back any longer and all three of them burst out laughing and couldn't stop for a couple minutes. Didn't faze the lamas one bit. They kept on chanting until they were done and everyone dug into the infamous loaf.

I say stick with the side dishes and skip the turkey-replacement because it will just suck and make you want the real thing.
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #18 of 55
My Volleyball buddy was dating a vegan, SHE however was annoying as all hell. (I'm NOT saying all vegans annoy me... just THIS particular one
icon10.gif
) She would rag on my buddy for buying a leather volleyball, and leather Air Jordans!!!

Needless to say that relationship did not last.... thankfully for my friend.

Garrett

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #21 of 55
I'm not a vegetarian but my parents and girlfriend are. My mom just skips the turkey and makes all the sides. Side dishes are where it's at anyway: stuffing, mashed potatoes, beans, rice, cranberry sauce, even veggie gravy. Then there's all the pies. Man, getting hungry.

My mom is doing something special this year though as she's basically meeting my GF for the first time. She's planning to get a bunch of those refrigerated breadstick things (the kind that are long and twisty) and forming them into a cornucopia shape by criss-crossing them over some kind of wire mold. After it's baked and the mold removed, she's going to fill it with all kinds of roasted vegetables and stuff. Serve it on a platter with the veggies spilling out would make an excellent presentation.

Nov 9, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #22 of 55
just a note.... if you're making this meal for other vegetarians... when you prepare sides like stuffing, gravy and even mashed potatoes... make sure to use vegetable stock when you can, instead of chicken stock.

if you use chicken stock, just make sure the veggies know so they can choose to avoid it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #24 of 55
In my family it is always T'giving pizza: mushrooms, artichokes, peppers, olives.
cool.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I've seen so many things done to animals in lab that I've become desensitized to it all.
blink.gif

There are far worse fates than to be eaten.

-Matt

Which is exactly why most vegans/vegetarians don't eat meat.

By eating meat you support the system in every way. Whether it be animal testing, improper animal slaughtering techniques, animal abuse, animal experimentation, etc.

I have no respect for those that test **** on animals. I'd rather see a human being in a cage being tested on than some innocent, helpless, defenseless creature that can't speak up for itself.

Humans are one of the most ignorant animals on this planet.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I'm more from the Adkins side of the spectrum.
icon10.gif

One has to be the epitome of ignorant to believe the Atkins diet is a remotely proper way to treat the body and "stay healthy".

It's beyond humorous how people equate skinny with healthy.

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #27 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
Which is exactly why most vegans/vegetarians don't eat meat.

By eating meat you support the system in every way. Whether it be animal testing, improper animal slaughtering techniques, animal abuse, animal experimentation, etc.

I have no respect for those that test **** on animals. I'd rather see a human being in a cage being tested on than some innocent, helpless, defenseless creature that can't speak up for itself.

Humans are one of the most ignorant animals on this planet.

Meh. I'm torn on this issue, like most.
I can see how animals are poor and defenseless, etc and that they should be defended...
But when it comes right down to it, I'd prefer a human life over an animal's. I'm talking about the average person, not some extreme example some of you are thinking, eg. druggies, murderers, rapists, etc.

I eat tofu on occasion, I drink soy milk (because I'm more lactose-intolerant than your average person, but I refrain from milk now), I am more open to the idea of eating fruits and vegetables. Looking at it realistically, though, not a lot of people can afford to eat like this. Fast food, for example, is a first-choice because it's usually yummy, fast, and cheap. Unless they make a fast-food vegetarian resturaunt, I doubt more people will "convert" than possible.

(If you do make a vegie-chain, I want half the proceeds, hahaha)

Nov 9, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardo diaz
Meh. I'm torn on this issue, like most.
I can see how animals are poor and defenseless, etc and that they should be defended...
But when it comes right down to it, I'd prefer a human life over an animal's. I'm talking about the average person, not some extreme example some of you are thinking, eg. druggies, murderers, rapists, etc.

I eat tofu on occasion, I drink soy milk (because I'm more lactose-intolerant than your average person, but I refrain from milk now), I am more open to the idea of eating fruits and vegetables. Looking at it realistically, though, not a lot of people can afford to eat like this. Fast food, for example, is a first-choice because it's usually yummy, fast, and cheap. Unless they make a fast-food vegetarian resturaunt, I doubt more people will "convert" than possible.

(If you do make a vegie-chain, I want half the proceeds, hahaha)

I hear you loud and clear. It's a touchy issue with extreme boundaries.

Regarding your comment about the fast food though, I just can't agree. I hear this arguement from so many people and it's just an excuse in my opinion to be lazy and apathetic while taking the easy way out. Don't take that the wrong way though; I'm not implying you are.

People in this country are so focused on convenience and having someone hold their hand throughout every decision they make in life. Discussion forums on the web are a perfect example. How many threads do we see that say "I can't decide between this and this so help me"? Then based on feedback from perfect strangers somehow we are miraculously able to make up our own minds?

Fast food is a cop out. It's like "hey this is quick and easy and since I didn't see how it was made or what's in it I just don't care and I'm going to eat it". There will always be people that think this way because the majority of them don't know how to help themselves.

The average fast food "meal", with the fries and drink, costs between $4-6. $4-6, if spent correctly, will buy you enough food at a grocery store to last 3-6 meals, and the quality of the food you get at the grocery store will be light years beyond that of fast food. $4-6 will make rice, beans, spaghetti, etc for days.

People are just lazy plain and simple. They would rather stay up watching Conan at night than preparing the food they are going to need to take to work the next day in order to avoid having to eat processed, chemical-laden crap from the average fast food restaurant at lunchtime.

It all comes down to priorities and, IMO, Americans have their's very out of whack.

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #29 of 55
Quote:

I hear you loud and clear. It's a touchy issue with extreme boundaries.

Regarding your comment about the fast food though, I just can't agree. I hear this arguement from so many people and it's just an excuse in my opinion to be lazy and apathetic while taking the easy way out. Don't take that the wrong way though; I'm not implying you are.

People in this country are so focused on convenience and having someone hold their hand throughout every decision they make in life. Discussion forums on the web are a perfect example. How many threads do we see that say "I can't decide between this and this so help me"? Then based on feedback from perfect strangers somehow we are miraculously able to make up our own minds?

Fast food is a cop out. It's like "hey this is quick and easy and since I didn't see how it was made or what's in it I just don't care and I'm going to eat it". There will always be people that think this way because the majority of them don't know how to help themselves.

The average fast food "meal", with the fries and drink, costs between $4-6. $4-6, if spent correctly, will buy you enough food at a grocery store to last 3-6 meals, and the quality of the food you get at the grocery store will be light years beyond that of fast food. $4-6 will make rice, beans, spaghetti, etc for days.

People are just lazy plain and simple. They would rather stay up watching Conan at night than preparing the food they are going to need to take to work the next day in order to avoid having to eat processed, chemical-laden crap from the average fast food restaurant at lunchtime.

It all comes down to priorities and, IMO, Americans have their's very out of whack.

I agree with you.
I feel I should push my parents into not eating fast-food ever again, but I've tried and they're stubborn like the cows they eat.

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.
Time to have soy milk with my Panda Puffs cereal from Tader Joes. n_______n

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:27 PM Post #30 of 55
Hold on a minute, professor! Painting any group of people with a broad brush of generalities is a slippery slope. If you are in this country, then your statement also applies to yourself.

Please remember that in this country we enjoy a great many liberties that some nations do not allow. Even if we (you, me and everyone else in this country) were ALL "focused on convenience and having someone hold their hand throughout every decision they make in life," it is our free right to have such a disposition in life.
wink.gif

Quote:

People in this country are so focused on convenience and having someone hold their hand throughout every decision they make in life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back