Any tips on choosing college course time slots?
Jun 20, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #46 of 49
Let me play the devil's advocate for a second here: it's possible to do 8AM classes everyday even if you don't go to sleep till 2 or 3 every day, which is what I did last semester.

And this is not something that is THAT unusual for Berkeley, since if you want to stand out, you'd have to get on top of your classes, engage in meaningful extra-curricular activity (as in not just joining them, but attending every meeting/function, run for leadership position, and doing something substantial), do research with the faculty, etc. Therefore, it's really not that unusual to find yourself sleeping at 1 or 2AM every morning.

So just man up and do what you have to do.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me play the devil's advocate for a second here: it's possible to do 8AM classes everyday even if you don't go to sleep till 2 or 3 every day, which is what I did last semester.

And this is not something that is THAT unusual for Berkeley, since if you want to stand out, you'd have to get on top of your classes, engage in meaningful extra-curricular activity (as in not just joining them, but attending every meeting/function, run for leadership position, and doing something substantial), do research with the faculty, etc. Therefore, it's really not that unusual to find yourself sleeping at 1 or 2AM every morning.

So just man up and do what you have to do.
very_evil_smiley.gif

What time do you normally wake up outside of school? What was your schedule like your first semester at Berkeley?

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #48 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What time do you normally wake up outside of school? What was your schedule like your first semester at Berkeley?

I like to sleep in, so on the weekends I wake up around 12 usually. I'm not a morning person by any means, but I can force myself to wake up on time for morning events, like work and school. I just have to have some coffee before I'm fully functional.

My first semester was relatively easy, since I didn't do much besides classes. But I found out very quickly that if you want to stand out and be able to compete with other people, you pretty much have to do a lot of non-class related stuff, which can take up a pretty large amount of your time if you are committed to it. And I wouldn't even bother doing extra-curricular stuff unless you are committed, since your future employers/interviewers can tell if you just BS-ed your way through it or if you actually put in time and effort.

I know this might sound harsh, but this is kind of the reality. There are just too many over-qualified people seeking limited opportunities, so it's really a kind of kill-or-be-killed environment. I don't personally like it, but that's just how the system works. It's a tightrope walk to try to juggle everything, but nobody says that kids these days have it easy.

Jun 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #49 of 49
blowtop.gif

The CS 3 class I was going to take has been cancelled in favor of a new class called CS 3L. Though there's only 1 hour of lecture per week, there's 6 (!) hours of labs per week, and now my schedule is totally ****ed up! It seems that no matter what I'm going to have 6 hours of class/labs in a row 2 days a week.

mad.gif

My new schedule:

newUCBplannedschedule1.jpg

The other Math 1B Discussion sections are all full, so I'm pretty much stuck with this schedule (I could try getting on the wait list for the other Math 1B Discussion sections, but I'm afraid of losing my current spot of already being enrolled in a section; I'm afraid that I won't get into the wait listed class and I will be dropped from the course
frown.gif

The only way out of this is this schedule:

newUCBplannedschedule2.jpg

That's awfully early though
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back