Any tips on choosing college course time slots?
Jun 19, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by tator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rather than scheduleing classes based on whether or not you are a morning person, I would research the professors teaching the classes. www.ratemyprofessors.com is a great site, and it's free. I rather have an awesome professor in the morning, than a bad one in the afternoon.

Register early! In my school at least, labs and other classes that are on short supply can go quick. Don't wait till the last minute. Sign up for classes first that have limited time slots, so you can work around them.

And as others said, try and schedule them back to back, to efficiently manage your time. But really I think who teaches the class is more important than what time you take the class. Check out that site, and research your profs!

I am well aware of ratemyprofessors.com, and I use it whenever I have to decide between 2 professors with the same time slot (But I don't place too much emphasis on it as you have to remember that all of those comments are based on people that felt strong enough about their opinion to find a place to post it online).

I can only sign up for my first 10.5 units right now; I can sign up for the rest at 9:00 a.m. on July 27 (Don't worry, I'll be there bright and early, ready to snipe
smily_headphones1.gif
).

My concern is having 6 hours of classes back to back; has anybody done such a thing?

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My concern is having 6 hours of classes back to back; has anybody done such a thing?

I did last semester: on Tuesdays I had class from 8 to 3:30 straight; on Thursdays I had class from 9:30 to 3:30 straight.

It wasn't pretty, but I made it through.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #33 of 49
To be perfectly honest, both of your schedules look pretty friggen bad. But if I had to go with one, it would be #2. Keeping your classes packed together is the best thing you can do for yourself, because think about it: what the heck are you going to do in a 45 or 1-hour break? It's not enough time to go back to your dorm and chill out, and you'll end up just sitting around somewhere for a while wondering why you configured your schedule such that you're now wasting an hour of your life.

And yeah, morning classes = no. The difference between a 9am class and a 10am class is dead and alive.

Jun 19, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #34 of 49
What's your major? If it is CS I'd go for the 1st option to let you stretch lab/start early. You'd also have time to talk to your CS instructor. Eating lunch/taking a break is also a good idea as another poster noted.

Wish I would have gone to Berkeley--seemed like all my semesters always had 8-9am starts MWF.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be perfectly honest, both of your schedules look pretty friggen bad. But if I had to go with one, it would be #2. Keeping your classes packed together is the best thing you can do for yourself, because think about it: what the heck are you going to do in a 45 or 1-hour break? It's not enough time to go back to your dorm and chill out, and you'll end up just sitting around somewhere for a while wondering why you configured your schedule such that you're now wasting an hour of your life.

And yeah, morning classes = no. The difference between a 9am class and a 10am class is dead and alive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsborken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your major? If it is CS I'd go for the 1st option to let you stretch lab/start early. You'd also have time to talk to your CS instructor. Eating lunch/taking a break is also a good idea as another poster noted.

Wish I would have gone to Berkeley--seemed like all my semesters always had 8-9am starts MWF.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Did you read my last post? I've switched some classes around, so the other options I posted in this thread aren't valid anymore.

I'm an Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) major. I haven't yet decided which degree I'm going to shoot for.

Is it bad to crunch up all of my classes (including labs) how I have it? It seems like it's the only way I'll get this all to work out
frown.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #36 of 49
I hate all of you.

My schedule looks like this:

0530/0545 - Out of bed
0545 - Out of shower
0555 - Done shaving
0635 - Done eating/drinking coffee
0645 - In class
1040/1135 - Lunch
1135/1235 - In class
1520 - Out of class
? - Study/homework (mandatory)
If it's a PT day, do PT from 0600-0700, and out of school at 1615. Study hours depend on your GPA - currently I have to do 3 hours minimum a day, 20 hours a week. I usually don't leave the building until 2100 at least. Did I mention all homework is done in the school building?

Oh, for anyone wondering... welcome to the wonderful world of NNPTC NPS (Naval Nuclear Power Training Command Nuclear Power School). At least I get paid. I'm very envious of those schedules, though. Early class at 0930? Wow.

EDIT: US Navy, if that wasn't clear. I can only hope it gets better eventually.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate all of you.

My schedule looks like this:

0530/0545 - Out of bed
0545 - Out of shower
0555 - Done shaving
0635 - Done eating/drinking coffee
0645 - In class
1040/1135 - Lunch
1135/1235 - In class
1520 - Out of class
? - Study/homework (mandatory)
If it's a PT day, do PT from 0600-0700, and out of school at 1615. Study hours depend on your GPA - currently I have to do 3 hours minimum a day, 20 hours a week. I usually don't leave the building until 2100 at least. Did I mention all homework is done in the school building?

Oh, for anyone wondering... welcome to the wonderful world of NNPTC NPS (Naval Nuclear Power Training Command Nuclear Power School). At least I get paid. I'm very envious of those schedules, though. Early class at 0930? Wow.

EDIT: US Navy, if that wasn't clear. I can only hope it gets better eventually.

But the problem is that I have to endure 6 hours of class every Wednesday. A lecture, two back to back labs, and another lecture to cap it off X_X

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #38 of 49
Take 7HA! My biggest regret about going to Michigan is missing the 7H sequence with Kleppner, Purcell and French. You won't find books this good again. In fact most upper level books are crap in comparison.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read my last post? I've switched some classes around, so the other options I posted in this thread aren't valid anymore.

No, somehow I missed that updated chart, the class change and that it has been finalized. Sorry...

Quote:

I'm an Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) major. I haven't yet decided which degree I'm going to shoot for.

Excellent; I hope you enjoy it and its profitable for you.

Quote:

Is it bad to crunch up all of my classes (including labs) how I have it? It seems like it's the only way I'll get this all to work out
frown.gif

It was for me; I needed a break to eat/unwind/shoot pool, etc.

Sometimes I used the time in between major classes to talk about questions/issues with the professors. I learned a lot more, got better grades and wound up with some good recommendations for my first job. A good prof can put you in touch with summer internships. Making a name for yourself can also get you into those classes that are 'filled'/get your favorite profs. Is this worth the time spent--only you can be the judge of that.

I wouldn't worry about wasting an hour here and there between classes. If its not wasted one way, its wasted another.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #40 of 49
Well, everything isn't 100% decided. I've only signed up for 2 out of 4 classes, and I can always switch around classes and stuff.

If I can muster up the courage to have 10:00 a.m. classes everyday, then my schedule can have some breathing room:

UCBplannedcoursesgerman2.jpg

What's good about this is that I have some breathing room and will not have to endure 4+ hour stretches of pure class. The bad news is that I have to wake up before 10:00 a.m. every day.

Ugh, I'm torn
frown.gif
The counselors are orientation just told us that it have well a schedule will work varies from person to person, and that it all depends on the type of person that you are. The problem is that I have a tough time determining what type of person I am having never had college courses or experienced any class schedule other than the strict one class after another schedule throughout junior high and high school.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #41 of 49
In my first semester, I had class at 8.30 every single day, and usually ended up done at either 6pm, or 9 (!) pm. It was very hectic and I was quite dead after the two sems of 1st year. The only reason I even survived were the gaps in between classes where I could go back to res and blow some time.

You've started out with some slightly later classes, stick with it! Its always easier to get to class at 10am after going to bed at 2 or 3 than it is at 8.30
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've started out with some slightly later classes, stick with it! Its always easier to get to class at 10am after going to bed at 2 or 3 than it is at 8.30
biggrin.gif

Been there, but if it was really bad I just flat out skipped the AM classes.

You bring up another good engineering strategy, taking the Humanities/Social Sciences courses as evening classes once a week for the upper level courses. Yeah, you blow an evening, but it gives you some slack so you aren't running between classes wolfing down a sandwich and getting indigestion.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 49
I havnt read any of the posts yet but I will say you are a smart person for not scheduling any classes before 11:00. Early morning classes are the worst especially if you end up going to bed at 1-2 every morning like i did.

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bschultz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havnt read any of the posts yet but I will say you are a smart person for not scheduling any classes before 11:00. Early morning classes are the worst especially if you end up going to bed at 1-2 every morning like i did.

But the trade-off is 4-6 hours stretches of lectures/discussions/labs without any breaks in between. If I want breaks, I'd have to have 10:00 a.m. classes every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back