Any tips on choosing college course time slots?
Jun 11, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #16 of 49
oh and a big LOL on the too much information; chill it, smoke one, berkeley can't be all bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #17 of 49
This is what my schedule would look like if I added a morning class (English):

UCBplannedcourses3.jpg

I'd have a 1 hour block between my morning class and my 4-4.5 hour class block, and I guess during this period I could grab a snack and prepare for the remaining classes. 9 a.m. is still awfully early, though. It seems that no matter what I do I'm either going to have a lot of 1 hour empty blocks or 4-4.5 hour blocks full of classes. I think I'd prefer the latter as, like others have said, I don't think I would be very productive with my time with multiple 1 hour breaks during between classes (my dorm is pretty far from campus, and I think it'd be ~25-30 minutes of walking to and back from my dorm). I'm also guessing that English will probably end up being my easiest class, so it shouldn't be too troublesome.

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 49
that doesn't look too bad, you could use the gap for breakfast and that should hold you over until you get done with classes... that's what i did last semester

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #19 of 49
I like the second one the best because you overall start later and end earlier. Just bring a bag lunch to your math 1b class. It is a 300+ class so you shouldn't really be worried about standing out. In addition, I always found that I can stay awake longer if I'm nauching on something.

Also, are you using http://finaldistance.berkeley.edu/

This schedule generator generates all the possible combinations of lectures and discussion sections for the classes you input. Really helpful. Hope this helps a fellow bear.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 49
R1 classes are taught by grad students, nuff said. (damn, engineering school decided to chain you up pretty bad... )

Jun 11, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 49
Don't take the morning class. Don't do it. Consider me your bad angel (or your bad jinn, depending on religious persuasion). Every morning, you're going to think "I could sleep TWO more hours by skipping ONE class... that adds up."

I like the idea of having afree perios before a class, but I have a liberal arts degree, and I often got one class' reading done in the hour. For your freshman year, though, book it tight, book it late, go to class.

Jun 13, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 49
This is the schedule I decided on (I signed up for Physics and Math at orientation):

UCBplannedcourses4.jpg

Thanks for your help, everybody!

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #26 of 49
rule #1. if you can help it, nothing before 10am
rule #2. nothing after 5pm (4pm, really).. leave day-light hours for doing fun collegey stuff
rule #3. try to squeeze a 1hr gap between every 2 classes or so... have some time to grab a bite to eat, decompress, catch-up on last minute homework, etc etc

edit: rule #4. do not schedule potentially boring classes from 11-1. that is nappy time

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rule #1. if you can help it, nothing before 10am
rule #2. nothing after 5pm (4pm, really).. leave day-light hours for doing fun collegey stuff
rule #3. try to squeeze a 1hr gap between every 2 classes or so... have some time to grab a bite to eat, decompress, catch-up on last minute homework, etc etc

edit: rule #4. do not schedule potentially boring classes from 11-1. that is nappy time

This is assuming what kind of sleep schedule? I don't plan to wake up until ~10:15 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and ~12:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #28 of 49
I've decided to take CS3 instead of CS61A. Also, it looks like English R1A is actually supposed to be the hardest Reading & Comprehension course available...so I don't think I'm taking that anymore. German R5A is supposed to be REALLY easy...but this is what my schedule will look like with German R5A:
UCBplannedcoursesgerman.jpg

Wednesdays are going to be rough O_O Does anyone have any experience with 6 hours of classes back to back in college?

Jun 19, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #29 of 49
Rather than scheduleing classes based on whether or not you are a morning person, I would research the professors teaching the classes. www.ratemyprofessors.com is a great site, and it's free. I rather have an awesome professor in the morning, than a bad one in the afternoon.

Register early! In my school at least, labs and other classes that are on short supply can go quick. Don't wait till the last minute. Sign up for classes first that have limited time slots, so you can work around them.

And as others said, try and schedule them back to back, to efficiently manage your time. But really I think who teaches the class is more important than what time you take the class. Check out that site, and research your profs!

Jun 19, 2007 at 2:56 PM Post #30 of 49
i had an econ class at 9am. i NEVER MADE IT. good choice on the 11am starts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back