Any thoughts on B-52 and SDS-XLR?
Jan 30, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #16 of 30
The B-52 is more along the lines of a balanced PPX3 SLAM. They both use the same 5687 output tubes. But, the SP amps with the tube socket adapter advantage can use a number of better sounding input tubes than the B-52's .... 12au7. A balanced PPX3 SLAM, including preamp functions, I am guessing, should run around $2.5k-$3k.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about the power supply. i don't think the two are comparable in that regard.

How is that?

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having heard both... I don't think the b-52 is remotely in the same league as the SDS-XLRs I've heard (I've heard at least 3-4 variants Voltron's/Mikhail's uber 25-30k one one of his less ridiculous ones and a stock one). Even if they were in the same sonic league the flexibility from the tube adapters and the customization that the SDS-XLR can bring to the table is amazing. The B-52 (I've heard Ray's) with the r10 and the hd650 is a good sounding amp but it is simply unlistenable with Qualias. If you like a euphonic/warm sound with lots of bass. Some may argue it is one of the finest amps in that category of sound (I don't think I would). However an SDS-XLR can give you an ultra clean/clinical sound to the warm/euphonic sound and everything in between plus has the capability to synergize with any headphone provided you do some tube hunting and invest in adapters.

Maybe you really only want one sound. I like to mix it up and I only wish my SS-1 was as flexible. I've been listening to only my pico -> yamamoto ha-02 -> w5000 set up for a month now and I had started to wonder how anything could sound better. I hooked up the wavelength dac/ss-1/hd650 combo last night and I remembered once again why that amp costs so darn much. Still besides providing a solid state sound it really has nothing on a good SDS-XLR.
frown.gif

Very nice summary of the SDS-XLR versatility Dan. In fact, the MPX3, Supra, and Extreme also respond impressively with tuberolling. I have tube combinations when I'm in the mood for R10, L3000, and HD-650. I can make my SDS to sound like the WA5 or Zana Deux by simply do little tuberollings.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #20 of 30
Hrm doesn't the B-52 use a switching power supply while single power amps have very linear power supplies? Given the bad rep that switching power supplies have (Very unpure power) I can see how he can say that they can't really compare in power supply.

Jan 30, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #21 of 30
No, switching power supplies have come a very long ways from when they were garbage. I have heard some excellent results that have surprised me and after seeing the correct filtration implemented, which made sense, I have slowly changed my mind on well done switching supplies as being more efficient than all of my conventional supplies. I have a tube preamp I built with beautiful dual power supplies that are dual regulated from 720 volts down to 420, with excellent RCL circuitry and they do a wonderful job but for a more efficient power supply not incorporating the two large transformers and everything else involved, a blessing it would be.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #22 of 30
You say they've come a long way and a lot of people defend switchers but I've heard quite a few amps and I've never heard a switcher really keep up. It might be a very minute margin esp for the savings in cost/effort to implement but I mean we are talking about 5-20k amps here... even if its a minute reduction in distortion I expect the extra mile to be gone.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 30
In the used market, SDS-XLR definitely, if you can afford it. As others have said, it's pretty much the ultimate amp in terms of sonics, and also in terms of flexibility with the tube adapters and such. Amazing product, but also quite expensive.

In the new market, B-52 without a question. Ray either has them in stock and available for immediate shipment or will be able to make and deliver one quite soon. Excellent product, well priced, no waiting games.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

You say they've come a long way and a lot of people defend switchers but I've heard quite a few amps and I've never heard a switcher really keep up. It might be a very minute margin esp for the savings in cost/effort to implement but I mean we are talking about 5-20k amps here... even if its a minute reduction in distortion I expect the extra mile to be gone.

The B-52 has dual mono custom built Plitron toroidal transformers, the high voltages are 3 times rectified then regulated, the accuracy of the two voltages is within .1%.
The B-52 uses dual high current switching power supplies for the heaters, filament, of the tubes.
Mod this is not an add for B-52 but informative info.
Feel free to remove it if you don't see it that way.
Ray Samuels

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The B-52 has dual mono custom built Plitron toroidal transformers, the high voltages are 3 times rectified then regulated, the accuracy of the two voltages is within .1%.
The B-52 uses dual high current switching power supplies for the heaters, filament, of the tubes.
Ray Samuels

Looks like information to me. I have been reading a little more on both supplies, having used linear most of my life, and there have been advances with some very high end gear using both. I wish I had more time as it is all interesting to me in my applications in my dac I built and other areas. Never enough time.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Hrm doesn't the B-52 use a switching power supply while single power amps have very linear power supplies? Given the bad rep that switching power supplies have (Very unpure power) I can see how he can say that they can't really compare in power supply.

Regulated vs linear power supply is probably the term you were searching for.
wink.gif

All the power supplies in the SP's are regulated. The B-52 uses a switching power supply for the heaters.

High frequency noise is always present with a switching supply. Filtration will only do so much and the remaining grunge that is created by the switching supply will usually pollute the high voltage ground.

Jan 31, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 30
Just found this

Borrow the quote from mikeymad :Head-Fi Meet Impressions, Trade Show Reports, Factory Tours

Voltron's Single Power SDS
Source> Emm Labs (2 box player)
Cans> Balanced Hd650's and SE- Grado GS-1000

This tower of power was really a great system. To get the bad out of the way first. I tried it with my Gs-1000, and I was not very happy at all. It was sounding thin on top, it gave a very little soundstage, even after a driver tube change. But that is just the hit and miss that I have had with the GS-1000 and amps.

Now the Senn HD650's were the best that I have ever heard them. These were my first (real) headphones (after the Grado 60's). I have always thought that they had potential, but I had always thought that potential was limited. I have heard them in many ways, and have given them every chance in the world (RSA b52, four different cables, tubes (OTL), SS), but they never measured up.

Untill now.

This showed me how far they could go. I could not find any of the faults that I always saw before (overdone base, slightly dark). It was full of detail, power, fast, engaging. I think about getting rid of my pair all the time. But now I think about this rig, and hold onto them a little longer.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray Samuels

No, that's fine. You're just providing information and clarification about your product.

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Now the Senn HD650's were the best that I have ever heard them. These were my first (real) headphones (after the Grado 60's). I have always thought that they had potential, but I had always thought that potential was limited. I have heard them in many ways, and have given them every chance in the world (RSA b52, four different cables, tubes (OTL), SS), but they never measured up.

Untill now.

This showed me how far they could go. I could not find any of the faults that I always saw before (overdone base, slightly dark). It was full of detail, power, fast, engaging. I think about getting rid of my pair all the time. But now I think about this rig, and hold onto them a little longer.

I had the exact same experience with the Senn HD-650 out of the SDS-XLR. The HD-650 w/ Zu Cable that I heard out of a stock SDS-XLR was nothing but breathtaking. The SDS-XLR really bring out the best in the HD-650. The SDS-XLR + HD-650 with balanced Zu cable was much better sounding than my SDS (single end) + L3000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back