Any thoughts on B-52 and SDS-XLR?
Jan 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Quint

100+ Head-Fier
I recently ordered an RSA B-52--because of several reasons important to me--but I'm very curious about the SP SDS-XLR. Does anyone have any experience comparing the two? I posted a similar question a while ago but didn't get many responses. Maybe they're just too rare. TIA.

Jan 12, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 30
They're as split as the Grand Canyon. As an audiophile, I should be used to that by now.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thought are that if you are on your 15th post and you have already ordered a B-52 then I am definitely sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

My wallet appreciates your condolences.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 13, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 30
I am sure someone has the two of them nestled together somewhere and they listen to the one that pleases them. I would get the B-52 just for the looks and I have confidence in what Ray makes but I also have confidence in the SP amps, but it doesn't matter because right now I can afford neither. Good luck and enjoy and as so many love to say here, sorry, sorry about your wallet.

Actually a comparison of the two would be a very, very interesting read.

Jan 13, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thought are that if you are on your 15th post and you have already ordered a B-52 then I am definitely sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif
3000smile.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by m21asph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it fair to compare SP SDS-XLR and B-52?
SP SDS-XLR is lots more expensive than B-52.

Sure, why not? Due to the Law of Diminishing Returns, and knowing how fabulous the B-52 sounds, I doubt that the B-52 would suffer greatly in a comparison to a far more costly amp.

If anyone would like to send me their SDS-XLR, I will happily post a comparison!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 30
The Supra XLR is what the B-52 should be comparing to. The SDS-XLR starts out at over 8k to 20k, while the Supra XLR begins at 3.5k to 10k.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 30
Basically SP SDS-XLR and B-52 is in same level of sound quality.??

Most likely the different is listener's preference and wallet.

anyone into photography too here?
compare SDS-XLR and B-52 price wise let me think about Leica M VS contax G.

thanks

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

compare SDS-XLR and B-52 price wise let me think about Leica M VS contax G.

thanks

For the price of most SDS-XLR, you can get two B-52, so I would hope that the SDS-XLR would sound better. I still think the B-52 is more inline with the Supra-XLR pricewise. The SDS-XLR PSU alone is pretty much the size of the B-52.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Supra XLR is what the B-52 should be comparing to. The SDS-XLR starts out at over 8k to 20k, while the Supra XLR begins at 3.5k to 10k.

that makes sense. to compare products at relative price points.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

compare SDS-XLR and B-52 price wise let me think about Leica M VS contax G. As far as the two amps in question, I have heard neither but I would also think it can be a individual preference often in this price range and implementation.

thanks

As good as Contax is, Leica is supreme although this has nothing to do with the question at hand. Implementation is what it is all about. I have never been crazy about the 12AU7 but I have heard it implemented very well, which changed my mind, as long as everything is done right. There are a number of tubes that can be rolled for it that can change the sound quite a bit, its all up to the ear.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 30
Having heard both... I don't think the b-52 is remotely in the same league as the SDS-XLRs I've heard (I've heard at least 3-4 variants Voltron's/Mikhail's uber 25-30k one one of his less ridiculous ones and a stock one). Even if they were in the same sonic league the flexibility from the tube adapters and the customization that the SDS-XLR can bring to the table is amazing. The B-52 (I've heard Ray's) with the r10 and the hd650 is a good sounding amp but it is simply unlistenable with Qualias. If you like a euphonic/warm sound with lots of bass. Some may argue it is one of the finest amps in that category of sound (I don't think I would). However an SDS-XLR can give you an ultra clean/clinical sound to the warm/euphonic sound and everything in between plus has the capability to synergize with any headphone provided you do some tube hunting and invest in adapters.

Maybe you really only want one sound. I like to mix it up and I only wish my SS-1 was as flexible. I've been listening to only my pico -> yamamoto ha-02 -> w5000 set up for a month now and I had started to wonder how anything could sound better. I hooked up the wavelength dac/ss-1/hd650 combo last night and I remembered once again why that amp costs so darn much. Still besides providing a solid state sound it really has nothing on a good SDS-XLR.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back