Any prove cables make a difference?
Feb 27, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #271 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It helps to be informed to understand the realistic limits of one's perception. It also helps to discern the relative merits of one improvement over another. I think being informed is a good thing.

Sure. But it doesn't replace a sensitive hearing when it comes to hear or not hear subtleties beyond sound-transducer level.

Quote:

But even assuming that you actually *can* hear things only bats and dogs can hear... How does that qualify you to give advice on stereo equipment to people with normal human hearing?

Within the standards of Head-Fi and people with audiophile demands my hearing is absolutely normal. See the equipment forums crowded by people who all believe to hear the things that «only bats and dogs can hear». In turn your apparent relative insensitivity seems to disqualify you according to this very same standard.

Quote:

Freakish hearing ability is no more of a thing to be proud of as extra toes on one foot or multiple nipples. There really isn't anything musical to hear in superaudible frequencies. And there's no advantage to being extra sensitive to artifacts and noise in the signal. In fact, that's a detriment to enjoyment of recorded music.

Maybe. Nevertheless, this seems to be an inevitable «side-effect» of intensive occupation with sound and high-end equipment. The hearing threshold expands further and further. It's not just a burden, because unveiled subtleties in audio reproduction also serve for a more intimate and touching musical experience. And a less «technical» characteristic by removing corresponding artifacts in less sophisticated equipment also helps. Finally, exploring the sonic level within the music can also be fun: As enjoying a well-prepared dinner with all its nuances is more fun than just reading the recipe.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #272 of 313
Is there some reason why cables resist measurements? I see amps, speakers, CDPs get measured in Stereophile. I only recall the Harmonic Technology cyberlight getting measured and being declared operating as if broken. I'll read here that someone got more bass from their speakers with a new power cord and I suppose it's possible if a more appropriate gauge were used but a sound level meter and a Stereophile test CD should sort out in quick order if the bass is real or imaginary.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #273 of 313
reano:

Don't you tour me, you don't know me at all! You insult me and tell me to go elsewhere. I think i have to make legal steps to remove you from this forum!

Ignorant fool!

Your stupid remarks are better placed elsewhere! A different forum!

Beying a topic starter doesn't give you any rights to insult people or to tell them to go elsewhere afterwards, if you don't like any comments!
There are forum rules and you crossed them quite by a mile!

For your info:

hi tout: this is a direct insult to my person!

Since i am not a native english speaking person i didn't know what it ment but an english speaking person pointed it out to me!

A tout is a dubious person that is buying stuff really cheap and then selling them way out of proportion for 3-4 the normal price!

Since i am not affiliated with any cable factory or whatsoever nor am i selling cables, this is a direct insult to me personally, you either remove the post stating hi tout or you apologize!

If you don't do either of these two steps, I'll have you removed from this forum!

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #274 of 313
tourmaline, I really think you should just let it go. You are making more of a big deal of it than anyone else was or is. He was just shortening your nickname from Tourmaline to Tour. Since when has this been against the rules or necessary to take legal action? A tour is also a vacation that you take with a bunch of people. Maybe he was calling you a vacation? You are blowing this way out of proportion and taking it out of context. You can call him rea if it makes you feel better. Please lighten up and enjoy your hobby!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #275 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tourmaline, I really think you should just let it go. You are making more of a big deal of it than anyone else was or is. He was just shortening your nickname from Tourmaline to Tour. Since when has this been against the rules or necessary to take legal action?

I have to correct you. He said «Tout». I think we agree that he's not the friendliest person, so I'm not sure if he deserves the benefit of the doubt in that it could have been a misspelling.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #276 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tourmaline, I really think you should just let it go. You are making more of a big deal of it than anyone else was or is. He was just shortening your nickname from Tourmaline to Tour. Since when has this been against the rules or necessary to take legal action? A tour is also a vacation that you take with a bunch of people. Maybe he was calling you a vacation? You are blowing this way out of proportion and taking it out of context. You can call him rea if it makes you feel better. Please lighten up and enjoy your hobby!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm also not a native speaker, and I didn't get the intention of reano's post until someone described the meaning of "tout" which I hadn't looked up. So I understand Tourmaline's request. Had I been addressed that way I would have been offended as well, and whether Reano is or is not a native speaker doesn't matter. The request to remove/modify the post and or apologize publicly makes sense and is not unreasonable at all, since it does not require any effort to fulfilll it, just some courtesy. I'm guessing Tourmaline also might have contacted the mods to first ask for the public apology from reano, and/or for the removal of said post.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #277 of 313
I've just read and re-read reano's post. It seems obvious to me, given the capital 'T' in 'Tout' that he accidentally hit the wrong button while trying to shorten the nickname, not an uncommon thing around here at all. 'R' sits right next to 'T'.

If you ignore that single word and read the post in its entirety he comes off as being rather polite (stuff in <> are my edits/comments):

Quote:

Originally Posted by reano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi <Tour>, thanks for your response. I would say if you don't what<another typo> to give me the details and how, then best to contribute to another thread. I actually want to know all about this.

The above seems to me like a valid way to ask someone to contribute what they know. At least I've seen far worse cases of people telling others to bugger off without everyone going crazy on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>Can you present this evidence I really would like to hear your valued contribution and how this better measuring results in improved the sound to the listener. I would be more than grateful to go and buy this cable for myself no worries. I have done the various searches on here and am trying to get people to deliver some details and (hope this doesn't offend but probably will) All I read is "you won't believe".<snip> and all I ask is if you have the evidence please let me look. Thats all ....

Again, I see no insults here, hinted or not. Quite the contrary, actually.

Anyone who doesn't forgive reano's small and unintended typo after reading this should take a healthy dose of the following:
Chill%20Pill.png

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #278 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nordost Valhalla is a bucket that is cold on top and warm at the bottom. When you pour liquid into the bucket it gives fake dynamics. It separates the liquid so it tastes different at different depths of the bucket. It makes everything more distinct even when it's the same liquid. Same with audio cables, same liquid but different taste at the other end.

That pretty much says it all, doesn't it? But is it OK if I pass on tasting the liquid at the other end?

Thanks
Steve

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #279 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also not a native speaker, and I didn't get the intention of reano's post until someone described the meaning of "tout" which I hadn't looked up. So I understand Tourmaline's request. Had I been addressed that way I would have been offended as well, and whether Reano is or is not a native speaker doesn't matter.

Why? I don't see why anyone is getting their knickers in a bunch over the word Tout. Are we talking about a language other than English?

In any case, I think the only solution to this is epees at sunset.

See ya
Steve

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #280 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reano:

Don't you tour me, you don't know me at all! You insult me and tell me to go elsewhere. I think i have to make legal steps to remove you from this forum!

Ignorant fool!

Your stupid remarks are better placed elsewhere! A different forum!

If you don't do either of these two steps, I'll have you removed from this forum!

"Tout", if reano even meant to write it, can mean "ticket scalper." Hardly a devastating insult, er, unlike calling someone an "Ignorant Fool."

Take legal steps? There are no "legal steps" to take because you haven't cited anything against the law, but you are implying that he has by saying you'll take "legal steps" to get him removed.

If insulting people gets them tossed, then you'll go out with the bath water.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #281 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure you SoundEdit might keep having difficulties with this analogy though.

rsaavedra, you seem to be getting testy. Combine that with JaZZ trying to link me to being a "stubborn ignorant" I'd say you are both starting to get to the point where your emotions are starting to get the better of your logic. Add tourmaline to the mix as he/she is getting mightily huffy over a perceived insult to the point of making even bigger insults without realizing he/she just pegged the HypocriteOMeter by doing so.

This thread has now, I think, devolved to the point where people are no longer thinking rationally or being polite and their is little hope of reasonable discourse. And it isn't certainly because of any mentions of "DBT." But, it may be because people get testy when their preconceptions are challenged in a way they can't or are unwilling to justify. Or it could be that people resort to name calling when they run out of ideas or start loosing an argument. Whatever the case, it is time to leave before the collateral damage gets to great.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #282 of 313
Your understanding of people getting testy may also be motivated by proper rebuttals against your attacks to some arguments. However valid your position might be SoundEdit from certain stand points, it seems to me that you have been attacking arguments and analogies against your position carelessly or impulsively before properly understanding them.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #283 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundEdit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Combine that with JaZZ trying to link me to being a "stubborn ignorant"...

No, these attributes weren't addressed to you.

If you check back, you'll see that they were addressed to nobody directly anyway -- it was just a description of a mental mechanism within myself. In my opinion a salutation like «Hi stubborn ignorant» would be something entirely different-- given the issue at hand was intentional, which I'm not pretending.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #284 of 313
Woah! Long time no post! I'll try to go direct into the original topic.

But first, I'm curious: reano, did you hear any difference between your stock Sennheiser Headphone cable and your aftermarket ones? The thread was so long that I gave up trying to find if you'd been asked and have answered that question.
blink.gif

With regards to proof, I'm pretty sure it exists somewhere. We just have to have the right connections (pun!?) with the right people in the right industry. I'm sure there's a lot of marketing rubbish with a lot of cables out there but I'm also sure that not all of it is rubbish. There are some people out there who are trying to make a living and do have a conscience at the same time. Anyway, let's not open another can of worms on human morality et cetera! I think most of us can agree that if something subjective pops up in this thread, there's a high chance that a sub-arguement will come of it -So let's just try to find 'proof'!

There's some maths here for you to crunch here:
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/1095cable/
and here:
http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/84/

Honestly, I don't know what to think about all that, but if have the time, I hope you're willing to go through the maths. It looks daunting but let us know what you think! We're all in the persuit of truth I believe!

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #285 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundEdit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Tout", if reano even meant to write it, can mean "ticket scalper."

It's not a ticket scalper, it's a guy who stands outside the racetrack selling lists of recommended bets and analysis of the performance of the various horses.

Not at all an insult.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back