Any prove cables make a difference?
Feb 22, 2007 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 313

reano

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have real proof that cables actually make any real differences (no brainer) I've tried a few and not really heard anything (when being honest). These include stefan audioart, russ andrews, RnB, Cardas, QED, etc, etc.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 313
If you do a search you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of thread in similar, if not identical veins.

If you don't want to spend money on cables then don't.

Feb 22, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do a search you'll find dozens, if not hundreds of thread in similar, if not identical veins.

X2.
If you don't hear it, don't bother.

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 313
For people just starting out in this hobby (as are most people on this site), it's not surprising that differences can't be heard.

Starting to hear real differences between headphones is equivalent to being a 1st grader learning how to add and subtract in mathematics. At that stage of auiophile/hearing/brain development and training, trying to hear cable differences is like jumping straight to trigonometry.
blink.gif

Or, if you like, it's like learning a new language. You start out with "see spot run" and you master that. But that doesn't make you qualified/prepared to turn around start reading Proust in the original French.
orphsmile.gif

Of course it doesn't make any sense. Over time and experience, your ability to discern these things develops like a muscle.

You may just not be ready yet, Grasshopper.
orphsmile.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 313
search and you'll find tons of threads like this one. You'll find many answers there as well.

Bottom line: Cables come dead last on any system you plan to put together. I was at a meet in Hamilton where we auditioned Senn 650's with 3 aftermarket cables - the sonic differences were plain to see for all reviewers (3 or 4 of us); HOWEVER!!!! - we were listening through a Meridian G08 and Tyll's top-of-the-line Headroom Max amp (with many simultaneous outputs). We are also more seasoned listeners.

IMO/IME, cabling on headphones = noticeable difference based on system resolution (don't expect much if sourcing through an iPod!); IC's - I can't comment as I've only needed them for iPod apps and in cases like that, I heard no discernible differences b/w quality connects (e.g. starquad copper stranded vs. solid core silver).

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What he said!

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #8 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by reano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have real proof that cables actually make any real differences (no brainer) I've tried a few and not really heard anything (when being honest). These include stefan audioart, russ andrews, RnB, Cardas, QED, etc, etc.

YES.
evil_smiley.gif

Remove cables entirely - no sound
Add cables - sound

I like to interpret questions literally
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 313
«Silver Moon Balanced» = balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon?
blink.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 313
Consider the validity of an argument that has to resort to condescention... "Well, if you can't hear a difference, your ears are ignorant." ...to make a point.

If cables made a real difference, there wouldn't be an argument. There would be clear and convincing evidence. The only evidence I see in the arguments made in the defense of high end cables is that they seem to function as an ego boost of some sort. That's fine for some folks, but my self worth is invested in things other than stereo systems, cars and designer clothing.

See ya
Steve

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 313
If you want to lose some weight then cables is the way to go. I was fat when I entered this hobby, but then I found Nordost Valhalla cable and lost 15cm from my waist, Valhalla is that good!

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
«Silver Moon Balanced» = balanced Moon Audio Silver Dragon?
blink.gif

Think I confused was when typed this I did.
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Consider the validity of an argument that has to resort to condescention... "Well, if you can't hear a difference, your ears are ignorant." ...to make a point.

If cables made a real difference, there wouldn't be an argument. There would be clear and convincing evidence. The only evidence I see in the arguments made in the defense of high end cables is that they seem to function as an ego boost of some sort. That's fine for some folks, but my self worth is invested in things other than stereo systems, cars and designer clothing.

The problem is that there are sonic differences below sound-transducer level, reaching to almost any sublety. Considering the variety of hearing thresholds, below a certain level there will be no unanimity.

The ego-boost argument doesn't convince me. In turn the above-mentioned makes a scenario rather likely where people with higher hearing thresholds get defensive and try to trivialize the audiophile hunt for «imagined sonic differences» (not to consider themselves and be considered tin ears).

I would like to get a «proof» for objective cable differences as well. Not in the form of measurements (there are measuring differences!), but in the form of statistical relevance gained from listening tests. I do hear differences in cables and have passed a blind test with headphone cables, but that's not proof for others.

Feb 22, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 313
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do hear differences in cables and have passed a blind test with headphone cables, but that's not proof for others.

Why isn't that "proof". I agree completely. I can hear differences (quite substantial sometimes) in cables used. Is there really any other "proof" that can ever be provided. Skeptics ask for concrete evidence, but not the electrical measurement kind because of course there are resistance / capacitance differences between cables of different makeup. Not sure how else to really provide proof other than to say "Well, I can hear a difference and I think cable A sounds better than cable B and considering the price/improvement ratio it may or may not be worth the upgrade".

Simply put, to all the skeptics that blindly don't believe cables make a difference, buy a cable, listen to it, and if you don't think there is a difference, just return it. I'm thinking of offering one of my cables for free soon just to have it float around and see if people like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back