Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Feb 6, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #136 of 876
Unfortunately I had to return my APPJ, it started to produce noise in the left channel after rolling a pre-tube. I suspect one of the pin sockets failed.

damn, how often were you switching tubes out? I suppose I should get some, I just joined the massdrop, can't wait to join the small 400i tube swapping club in this thread. Definitely give an update on how easy working with them was on swapping the unit tho, thanks

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #137 of 876
Wow, those coke bottles are huge!!

I got some 6F6 Visseaux lined up - these are pretty similar to 6V6 but less efficient and very affordable!

Unfortunately I had to return my APPJ, it started to produce noise in the left channel after rolling a pre-tube. I suspect one of the pin sockets failed.

Will be using a socket saver from now on:

Nice. The Project Ember folks have been gaga for Visseaux 6J5 tubes. Hope they work well for you if you get a replacement 1502A. As I noted earlier, I chipped a little porcelain off of one of the power tube sockets so it appears to me they are not good quality. If I open mine up to do the Wima capacitor swap, I will probably replace the tube sockets too.

I can happily confirm the 12BH7 works fine. I've tried a Realistic 12BH7A (Japanese made, probably Toshiba) and a Westinghouse US-made 12BH7. The Realistic is a pretty lifeless tube. The Westinghouse is much better. Highs are a bit rolled off, but the bass has returned to the party!

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #140 of 876
Being very satisfied with the sound of the Gold Lion pre-amp tube, I decided to try the power tubes. They had two models, one being cryogenic treated?. I wasn't sure if that was worth the additional $30, or something that actually makes a difference, so I opted for the standard version.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #142 of 876
damn, how often were you switching tubes out? I suppose I should get some, I just joined the massdrop, can't wait to join the small 400i tube swapping club in this thread. Definitely give an update on how easy working with them was on swapping the unit tho, thanks

Probably about 30/40 times for the pre. I got my unit from amazon and was lucky that it was still within the 30 days return time so I simply returned it and ordered another one.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #143 of 876
Nice. The Project Ember folks have been gaga for Visseaux 6J5 tubes. Hope they work well for you if you get a replacement 1502A.

I'd love to get my hands on some Mazda's as well, as they should be similar (possibly even better) but haven't spotted any of those. Should have another APPJ in 2 days. Life is different without it!

As I noted earlier, I chipped a little porcelain off of one of the power tube sockets so it appears to me they are not good quality. If I open mine up to do the Wima capacitor swap, I will probably replace the tube sockets too.
Would be nice if you could document your endeavors with some pics here :wink:

I can happily confirm the 12BH7 works fine. I've tried a Realistic 12BH7A (Japanese made, probably Toshiba) and a Westinghouse US-made 12BH7. The Realistic is a pretty lifeless tube. The Westinghouse is much better. Highs are a bit rolled off, but the bass has returned to the party!

Good to know. do you know who made the Westinghouse?

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:34 PM Post #144 of 876
Would be nice if you could document your endeavors with some pics here
wink.gif

Good to know. do you know who made the Westinghouse?

Sure thing re: opening up the amp.

I believe my Westinghouse 12BH7 was made by... Westinghouse. The plate construction doesn't appear to have been used in other brands. Westinghouse did make some of their own tubes, but later on sold relabeled RCAs or Japanese tubes.

Feb 7, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #145 of 876
I recently join the drop for this little monster. It´s all your fault! :') jaja, the AKG 7xx are also on their way to Perú from massdrop O.O. Can´t wait!!

Only a few questions: A preamp tube not too expensive  can you recommend eyes closed? (I prefer a clean and open sound...)
 the power stock tubes are too bad or can i live with them for some months?

Feb 8, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #146 of 876
I also joined the massdrop for this amp.  I'm going to let it be my introduction to the world of tube amps.  I've also ordered a few replacement tubes as mentioned in this thread.  But, as CZ4A mentioned he "chipped a little porcelain off of one of the power tube sockets", I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help prevent that.  Are the "socket savers" that someone mentioned earlier worth considering?  If so do you guys have any recommendations of where I can find some?

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #147 of 876
Sure thing re: opening up the amp.

I believe my Westinghouse 12BH7 was made by... Westinghouse. The plate construction doesn't appear to have been used in other brands. Westinghouse did make some of their own tubes, but later on sold relabeled RCAs or Japanese tubes.

Ah, didn't know they made 12BH7 tubes. That's one to look for then.

I recently join the drop for this little monster. It´s all your fault! :') jaja, the AKG 7xx are also on their way to Perú from massdrop O.O. Can´t wait!!

Only a few questions: A preamp tube not too expensive  can you recommend eyes closed? (I prefer a clean and open sound...)
 the power stock tubes are too bad or can i live with them for some months?

Congrats and welcome to the club!

Stock power tubes are decent enough. There are better ones but stock is adequate to start rolling the pre's.

A clean, tight and airy tube is the valvo/philips/amperex 6201. It does also have a nice smooth midrange. The best balance I've heard. Now these don't come exactly cheap.

An alternative is the Siemens e81cc triple mica (a bit more analytical, a bit less smooth in the mids).

I also enjoyed the Philips/Dario Miniwatts 12ax7 and 12au7. Made in France/India/Holland are all similar. They have a big soundstage and are open and dynamic. You should be able to find them at lower prices than the above.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #148 of 876
I also joined the massdrop for this amp.  I'm going to let it be my introduction to the world of tube amps.  I've also ordered a few replacement tubes as mentioned in this thread.  But, as CZ4A mentioned he "chipped a little porcelain off of one of the power tube sockets", I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help prevent that.  Are the "socket savers" that someone mentioned earlier worth considering?  If so do you guys have any recommendations of where I can find some?

I haven't received them yet. I think you shouldn't be too worried if you're only going to roll a few tubes though.

http://www.ebay.nl/ulk/itm/161256246187

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #149 of 876
anyone know the specific output impedance of this amp? Or is it not even static, and fluctuates depending on the tubes you use? i feel like this is an incredibly noobish question but.. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back