Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Feb 2, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #123 of 876
The old table-top AM receivers would wire all the tube filaments in series and then connect them across the 110VAC line, no transformer.  As long as all the filament voltages added up to 110 AND the rated filament currents were the same, it worked.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #124 of 876
Hi!!! does anyone tried the amp with the AKG 7xx? i'm searching for a good pairing. Can someone compare this to the Vali 2 -that was my first choice- with the AKG 7xx? i´m interested in the drop.

My DAC is the Bifrost Uber Analog (from Schiit). I listen to classical music, jazz, and some prog/experimental rock... so maybe i prefer the so called "analytical sound"...

Thanks! :D

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #125 of 876
  Hi!!! does anyone tried the amp with the AKG 7xx? i'm searching for a good pairing. Can someone compare this to the Vali 2 -that was my first choice- with the AKG 7xx? i´m interested in the drop.

My DAC is the Bifrost Uber Analog (from Schiit). I listen to classical music, jazz, and some prog/experimental rock... so maybe i prefer the so called "analytical sound"...

I have a K7XX and my 1502A is coming in soon. I will let you know my impressions. I also have to plug Garage1217's amps as another Vali 2 alternative - I've been very pleased with my Sunrise. In fact, you really can't go wrong with anything from their line-up, tube or solid state.

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #126 of 876

I have them. I'll give it a listen tonight.

**they sound great! I'm not really hip to the terminology of describing the sound. But it's something that I could listen to all the time.

I am not running stock tubes, though.

This little amp is a great deal!

*** I'm always surprised at the soundstage size of the K7XX after mainly listening to the 400i.

I will say I do prefer the K7XX being powered by my full Burson H10.

Feb 4, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #128 of 876

Agreed with @canthearyou. I need to listen to it a little more with the stock tubes to get a better feel and description, but the 1502A works well with the K7XX. I listened mostly to metal and some video game soundtracks after I ran some pink noise through the amp at first. I used the stock 6N4-J + 6P6Ps and a low-testing Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 with the 6P6Ps. It biased fine with the T-Funk, BTW.

Next up I want to try a 12BH7, then start rolling the 6P6Ps. I don't know if my Sylvanias or NOS Tung-Sol 6V6s will make the amp sound better or worse, but one thing's for sure- The 6P6Ps are UUUUUUGGGGG-LY!

Feb 4, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #129 of 876
Agreed with @canthearyou
. I need to listen to it a little more with the stock tubes to get a better feel and description, but the 1502A works well with the K7XX. I listened mostly to metal and some video game soundtracks after I ran some pink noise through the amp at first. I used the stock 6N4-J + 6P6Ps and a low-testing Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 with the 6P6Ps. It biased fine with the T-Funk, BTW.

Next up I want to try a 12BH7, then start rolling the 6P6Ps. I don't know if my Sylvanias or NOS Tung-Sol 6V6s will make the amp sound better or worse, but one thing's for sure- The 6P6Ps are UUUUUUGGGGG-LY!

Terrynj is very happy with his NOS Tung-Sol's. Big improvement from the 6P6P's in his opinion.

Curious about the 12BH7. Did you get one yet?

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #130 of 876
@Terrynj is very happy with his NOS Tung-Sol's. Big improvement from the 6P6P's in his opinion.

Curious about the 12BH7. Did you get one yet?

I've got a few 12BH7s I can try. Just haven't gotten to them yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am currently listening with my K7XXs and a Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7 paired with a matched pair of Sylvania gray glass 6V6GTs. The sound signature has all the excellent detail one would expect from the smooth plate T-Funk. It's got a great soundstage for a smaller tube. Highs like cymbal crashes are nice and sparkly, but can get a bit crashy when the drummer goes all Animal on them. However, while the bass is present, it's slightly lacking in oomph.

While I did listen to the T-Funk with the stock 6P6Ps it wasn't a very critical listen, so I don't yet have a handle on how the power tubes are affecting the tone. I also want to give the T-S 6V6GTs a go and see if they add a little bit of the lows back.

One other thing I have to add that relates more to build quality than sound- when I was removing one of the 6P6Ps to swap in the Sylvania, the bottom of the central locating pin actually chipped a little of the ceramic from the socket! I wasn't using excessive force or anything either. The chip only caused superficial damage to the socket, but be careful anyways when removing the power tubes!

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #131 of 876
Uhh great, thanks for the impressions, so i guess the match may come with some tube rolling... And you feel them (the 7xx) better than with the vali 2 ? SS, detail, bass impact, mids...?

Feb 5, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #132 of 876
  Uhh great, thanks for the impressions, so i guess the match may come with some tube rolling... And you feel them (the 7xx) better than with the vali 2 ? SS, detail, bass impact, mids...?

I wouldn't know because I don't own a Vali 2.

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #133 of 876
Got my Coke Bottles in! Sylvania 6Y6G 1952

I wasn't sure if they would even fit, so I didnt want to spend much. Bram confered with Gemtune and they said the 6Y6G would work fine in the 1502, so I crossed my fingers, turned it on and stepped back about 10 feet...no problems!
atsmile.gif

Heres a pic of size difference...the right tube is a 1958 Tung Sol 6V6GTA..

They burn pretty hot.....

I was not really sure how they would sound. As I had stated, these are not near as expensive as 6V6G's ( I paid $20 for the pair with free shipping) so I was not expecting much for sound...just wanted to see if I liked the looks, then could maybe pursue a nice set of Sylvies or Marconi's if I liked them

Started out with a couple of my regular test tracks and was shocked...they sounded good, very good!
Started to really go through my playlist and realized the details were there, the bass IMO was a little better than the TS, the midrange was more forward. My rock stuff really came forward with the crunching guitars...couldn't be more shocked and pleased.
I listened for a couple of hours and picked the the differences in these and the TS..I don't think they sound good on everything like the TS's do, the forward midrange started to sound a tad harsh on some songs...I will have to go back to the TS's to verify, but I certainly think the TS's are still my mains, but I am stunned how good these sound.
I am running the Sylvania JHS 5751WA preamp tube.....

this is Friday morning and giving them the morning test drive  ... Megadeth's new album Dystopia...man his driving guitars are awesome..these are great rock tubes!

SInce the work good for that, I am trying some classical...which is usually hard the bring out the strings. I ve have always tried to get more out of the violins, but its been hard. I am listening to very forward violins driving like a rock song. They dont have the creamier sound of the TS's,, still a little sweet. but the best I've ever heard classical (for the way I like)...doesnt seem harsh this morning either. 
Gotta go to work right now, tonight cant come quick enough! 
L3000.gif

Feb 5, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #134 of 876
Nice! Glad to know they fit. I've been eyeing a couple pairs and was worried they wouldn't fit.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #135 of 876
Wow, those coke bottles are huge!!

I got some 6F6 Visseaux lined up - these are pretty similar to 6V6 but less efficient and very affordable!

Unfortunately I had to return my APPJ, it started to produce noise in the left channel after rolling a pre-tube. I suspect one of the pin sockets failed.

Will be using a socket saver from now on:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back