Any opinions / reviews on Gemtune APPJ PA1502A
Jan 31, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #91 of 876
Got plenty of those! My other amp is a Project Sunrise, one of the most versatile tube-rollers out there. I also have two matched pairs of 6V6s to try (Tung-Sol and Sylvania).

Nice! Coke bottle Sylvania's or the straight ones? And those Tung-Sol: vintage or reissues?

I've been running a matched pair of reissues but haven't been impressed with them. Too much roll off at the highs for my taste, the sound was a bit dark because of it. This was with a Philips 6201 gold pin as pre.

Currently I'm hooked on the 6201 gold pin together with a set of vintage Visseaux. It's a very resolving, but pleasant sound. Good soundstage, tight (but not exaggerated) bass and great seperation. A perfect balance that matches a wide range of music.

If anyone wants to dive a little deeper into the world of 6V6 and 12ax7 tubes, here are some great specials with reviews and background:

6V6: https://web.archive.org/web/20130805141923/http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV10.pdf
12ax7: https://web.archive.org/web/20130805141923/http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV14.pdf
How to spot good NOS tubes: https://web.archive.org/web/20130805141923/http://www.jumpjet.info/Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV01.pdf

Instead of 12ax7 it's also possible to use different types like 12at7, 12au7 and european equivalents (ecc83, ecc82, ecc81). I've had great results with 12at7/ecc81 tubes which are generally cheaper too.

The same goes for 6V6. It should be possible to use 6F6, 6Y6 and 6L6 with the APPJ (warning: on your own risk, this hasn't been tested). The advantage is that some of these are in lower demand and thus a lot cheaper.

I've asked APPJ about the use of 6y6 tubes and they comfirmed:

Thank you for your email once again.
Please don't worry,i have asked our technicians again,they told me that this is not a problem,you can use 6y6 tubes replace the 6p6p tubes.Thanks.

Note that the 6Y6 draw a lot more current than 6V6, but apparantly the APPJ is build to spec for them as well.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #92 of 876
I've been back & forth between buying either the APPJ or the Schiit Vali 2. The advantage of the Vali is that it has both headphone & line outs. Is maxing the volume on the APPJ & running a line to a preamp equivalent to a line out level? Thanks

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #93 of 876
How is it when compared to the Sunrise?

I'll let you know when it arrives and I have a good listen.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Sunrise III will be a very hard act to follow, especially with my current favorite tube in it (Ken-Rad 6C8G). I do have the JJ 12AU7 the Sunrise came with kicking around somewhere so I can do a stock vs. stock test.

Nice! Coke bottle Sylvania's or the straight ones? And those Tung-Sol: vintage or reissues?  

The Sylvanias are straight bottles. The T-S are vintage. They look like these, though labeled for a different company:

I have a few singleton 6V6s and other low-powered pentodes like 6W6 and 6K6. I'd like to find some close matches before trying those, otherwise I'd be having a very odd listening experience.

Quote:
Instead of 12ax7 it's also possible to use different types like 12at7, 12au7 and european equivalents (ecc83, ecc82, ecc81). I've had great results with 12at7/ecc81 tubes which are generally cheaper too.

The same goes for 6V6. It should be possible to use 6F6, 6Y6 and 6L6 with the APPJ (warning: on your own risk, this hasn't been tested). The advantage is that some of these are in lower demand and thus a lot cheaper.

I've asked APPJ about the use of 6y6 tubes and they comfirmed:
Note that the 6Y6 draw a lot more current than 6V6, but apparantly the APPJ is build to spec for them as well.

Good to know about the power stage. I wonder what the output current is for the preamp stage, as well as whether or not it runs the 12AX7 in parallel (6.3V) or series (12.6V) mode. That info will have a big effect on those of us who get more adventurous with our rolling than the usual 12A#7 suspects.

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #94 of 876
I've had my 1502 for almost 3 weeks now. It took me awhile to pick tubes because I had never even looked at, or considered a tube amp until about a week before I got my appj... Braaam and E8armydiver helped me alot to learn the basics...my thanks to both of them!

I picked my preamp first, I relied a lot on Joe's Tube Lore to help with my final decision and was lucky enough to find a Sylvania JHS 5751WA (1958, black plates). Very pleased with this guy. The 5751 is a lower gain 12AX7, Braaam likes lower gain tubes and I agree. The 5751 made the soundstage more focused, better bass, and more delicate detail.

I just received my power tubes on Friday. I found some vintage Tung Sol 6V6GTA's (1950's, black plates).  At this point, I think I've ruined my rolling plans.....I AM VERY HAPPY with my setup. As much as I loved my 5751, things still felt a little loose. The images were there, but the stock tubes struggled to reproduce them....now....that is not an issue! It is hard to explain the sound I am getting, for one, I am not as versed in the terminology to produce the flowing reviews I've read, with descriptions that float in the air like the music they describe.

My Headphones are modded HE400s's with Focus Pads A and new grills. I love the 400s and these too are new for me (12/15). I've had HP's and IEM's for years, but this planar is something else. I also bought the 400I, but I really preferred the bigger soundstage on my 400s and the open airy sound it has, so I sent the 400I back and kept my S.

My DAC/AMP is the Creative Soundblaster E5. I've written about it in other threads, so check back through my other post for more detail. I like to go portable which is why I went that direction. But I am very pleased with it and the sound. If you like your appj stock, the sound on my E5 is much better IMO. The appj felt subdued and veiled. Not near as open and airy, but I could see the promise of the tube sound (plus I'm a tweak and I like to mess with things!
biggrin.gif
)

When I got the 5751, the sound immediately became on par with the E5...different, but on par. With the Tung Sol tubes, the appj has now surpassed the E5. I always felt the E5 sound was pretty solid, the sound stage was very wide on the 400s, but to me, it felt the images lost something being spread out so much...sorta like you painted 10 foot of wall ...then took the same amount of paint and painted 14 feet of wall...The 5751 and Tung sols fixed all that and actually did something weird to the sound stage. It still feels open and airy, but the images now blend better as a complete image...still separate, but instead of a separate image here, the drums over there, the singer here, lead guitar over there...now they are all the same image, no air between them, but still wide, layered, and detailed. The 400I had this kinda of imaging....unfortunately I had to send them back before I got all my tubes in.

My preference to my 400S is the wide, open, airy, live feel to them. The DAC on the E5 has DSP, so I can adjust the bass, EQ things, and really tailor the sound to my liking. I get a rich, creamy bass that has detail and no bloat.... especially at low volumes. I am very happy with where I am at now and cant think of how I would want to improve it. I have some Sylvania 6Y6G's coming in because I like the look of the coke bottles...I'll try them, but not expecting much. I really like the look of my new tubes, but the Tung Sol label went to the back towards the transformers, so you cant see the labels!

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #97 of 876
For the price (~165 shipped; maybe cheaper) it's definitely worth it. I'm considering buying a second one in black. (I have a silver one. It's been a little buggy. I worry about it failing. I think I'm the only one here with this specific issue though.)

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #98 of 876
Wow the shipping cost is $63 to Indonesia!

Guys, I've never join a drop before. So how's the shipping/shipping cost works btw? Will it go down along with the increasing number of people who joins the drop??

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #99 of 876
Wow the shipping cost is $63 to Indonesia!

Guys, I've never join a drop before. So how's the shipping/shipping cost works btw? Will it go down along with the increasing number of people who joins the drop??

I don't think so; massdrop is meant for the U.S. mainly. You could try eBay. They ship from China.

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #100 of 876
For the price (~165 shipped; maybe cheaper) it's definitely worth it. I'm considering buying a second one in black. (I have a silver one. It's been a little buggy. I worry about it failing. I think I'm the only one here with this specific issue though.)

Damn! That's a helluva deal!

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #102 of 876
Damn! That's a helluva deal!

Figures, MD has another drop for it only 3 days after I ordered mine from Amazon, lol! Still, the last time I joined the drop, it failed to garner enough people. I hope it goes better for everyone else this time. My 1502A is already in the mail so I can't return it.

/Why are these grapes so sour?

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #105 of 876
How is that? Most drops have very fair shipping costs to mainland Europe. The Appj is probably just uneconomical because of it's square size.

The site is based in the U.S. as far as I know. They list prices in USD, have a "physical nexus" in California and NJ (and thus charge sales tax there), products like amps always have U.S. voltage options, the drops I've seen base shipping costs on U.S. delivery, and certain products cannot be shipped directly outside of the U.S. by massdrop due to their manufacturing agreements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back