Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Nov 12, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #766 of 828
I don't think I count as an old fart yet, but I've been around for a while. I stopped reading Head-Fi regularly for some years because I was satisfied with the setup I had, among other reasons. Since COVID I've gotten more interested in some old hobbies again to fill the time, and shopping for new toys works well as a pick-me-up against all the stress from current world events.

Another thing that's very interesting to me is the current boom and innovation in the IEM scene. I still remember years back when the scene was mostly concentrated on a few western brands, and ergonomics were often bad as they were made of hard acrylic, and the price - performance ratio was relatively poor.
Nowadays you have 3D-printed ones made of resin with a pseudo-custom IEM shape and numerous different driver types, and all these brands competing with each other trying to offer the most attractive product to entice customers to buy from them. All that is only good for us as buyers. :)

What I'm not a fan of is the inflated and still increasing prices though. It seems that almost every brand is following the trend of charging megabucks for their new gear, and if it's not in the 4 digit range, it's too low. I'm saying this as someone who just bought a €1700 IEM so that might seem hypocritical, but I liked audio better when it was more affordable, and the ultra-expensive was limited to flagships and prestige models ("look at what our company can do" types such as the Sony MDR-R10), but expensive is more the norm nowadays.
Yeah, I know I don't need to buy things if I think they're too expensive, but it's just one of the trends in the evolution of the audio market that is not so cool.
Inflation calculators aren't necessarily that accurate, but all other things being equal you're looking at 300 to take the contemporary place of something that cost 150 in 2003-4.
For example, my Fireface 800 back in 2004 was £1000 - a state of the art 1U audio interface. Now, the effectively direct replacement I have for it (the UFX III) was £2700. It does far more and may be overkill for someone used to the original FF, but it is the *contemporary equivalent*.

So that says two things to me at least:
- excessive high-end consumerism isn't entirely the cause: old farts have to come to terms with the colossal scale of real inflation in this (and many other) verticals we may have been enthusiasts of decades ago.
- actually sort of highlights how unsustainably cheap all the mainstream Chinese stuff actually is. And way less than two decades from now, the 20something enthusiasts of today will be lamenting about how things have got unaffordable when all the then-mainstream Chinese makers replace their product lines with mainstream-priced stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #767 of 828
This is the image of my old account I lost access to. I remember back then I had a Presonus Central Station and blue jeans cables, a audio-technica set of closed back headphones that I recall had a blue color on the ear cups. Back then I had a home server setup with rack mount gear and a KVM switch as well as a rack mount furman conditioner. Also had a 200 disc DVD changer and a optoma projector all in my college dorm room. Then the great recession hit and I was down and out after I graduated because no body was hiring. I had a lot of pictures that I lost from back then. Good memories though that's when I had first head of something called hi-fi. Now I have a house full of mostly the gear I want. Would be nice to upgrade my stereo amplifiers I've been looking at the parasound A23+. I can recall after I had moved cities I had a Dac Magic Dac the original one and a Ray Samuels solid state amp and I was running foobar at the time.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.31.51 PM.png

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #768 of 828
This is the image of my old account I lost access to. I remember back then I had a Presonus Central Station and blue jeans cables, a audio-technica set of closed back headphones that I recall had a blue color on the ear cups. Back then I had a home server setup with rack mount gear and a KVM switch as well as a rack mount furman conditioner. Also had a 200 disc DVD changer and a optoma projector all in my college dorm room. Then the great recession hit and I was down and out after I graduated because no body was hiring. I had a lot of pictures that I lost from back then. Good memories though that's when I had first head of something called hi-fi. Now I have a house full of mostly the gear I want. Would be nice to upgrade my stereo amplifiers I've been looking at the parasound A23+. I can recall after I had moved cities I had a Dac Magic Dac the original one and a Ray Samuels solid state amp and I was running foobar at the time.

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 1.31.51 PM.png
Presonus Central Station - I am pretty sure I had one, as I was all in on FOTM back in the days :face_palm:

FOTM was at least relatively affordable back in the days, now we have FOTM being like $10k+ dacs and amps....

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #769 of 828
I just hit 40 this year so I guess I count as an old fart in the real world as well as here. My personal situation has changed a lot at various times over the 21 years since I first joined this place, even my name and gender (hah!), and that has affected what activities I spend time and money on.

I've cycled back to headphone audio these past few years since I'm mostly at home thanks to my deteriorating health, but I'm well past chasing the "perfect" setup. So much fantastic music has been released and keeps getting released and I'd rather focus on that. While I do use streaming, I've been buying more music than I have in over 15 years, both digitally and on CD, and am planning to start attending at least a few live shows a year.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #770 of 828
I'm so fracking old, I use to own first edition D&D books.
I'm so fracking old, I was there when Pong came out (1973) and thought it's the coolest game ever.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #773 of 828
all you young whippersnappers sticking noisy things in your ears after spending a fortune on them ....... bah humbug!

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #777 of 828
stay safe and enjoy the holiday guys!

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #779 of 828
Tyll and Mikhail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back