Any old fart head-fi'ers still around?
Nov 16, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #646 of 828
Yup you were one person I knew was there! I had some R-10’s for a while but I don't think I had them yet at the time of the meet so I’m sure you’re right, those were Ray’s (he was also for sure there)

I’m great man! How’ve you been?

Good...considering the sh!t show 2020 has been. Hope you and your family are all doing well!

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #647 of 828
Happy Thanksgiving all! Just letting y’all know that the Tower of Power is still alive and well! It’s at my folks’ place now and I fired it up and it still sounds super amazing (the Darth Grados by Headphile and the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold kill!):

823EF6E1-33F5-4DD3-B406-52ED0E70DFA5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #648 of 828
Happy Thanksgiving all! Just letting y’all know that the Tower of Power is still alive and well! It’s at my folks’ place now and I fired it up and it still sounds super amazing (the Darth Grados by Headphile and the Maestrobated Melos SHA-Gold kill!):

Good to see your still using the tower of power.
I am listening to my Hp1s as I type this.I still have my Melos as well,
But I am listening to the Hp1s hooked up to a Pass Labs XA25 power amp.driven by a Lampi Big 7 Emmlabs CDSD using a Hegel P30 Peamp.
THe Grados are sounding Mighty good

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #649 of 828
I'm still around! My audio upgradeitis has been gone ever since ICEpower/Hypex class D amps have come around. I'll always be grateful for the head-fi FOTM cycle which gets me great forgotten/overlooked gear for peanuts.

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #650 of 828
A quick fart to see what's up.

Full size headphone wise I now mostly spend my still titanic head sandwiched between multiple MMX300 2nd Gen's trading insults with 12 year olds. I haven't picked up any of my remaining high-ends for at least a year, it's mostly been about speakers when I do decide to sit down and listen for at least ten years.

Travel wise I've fully switched to wireless ANC earphones / headphones of the Sony and Apple variety since they've become so usable, and I've given up any mobile audiophile pretensions whatsoever... I always felt it was a pretty pointless qualitative exercise simply becasue of background noise even while I was an active member here, and my main reason for having balanced armatures was always for isolation, not outright quality. My remaining corded IEM's lie unused / broken & unrepaired, I probably need a remould to be able to use my JHA's again.

My current library is fully streaming, and most of the time I just yell at my Homepods or cue up stuff on Spotify. I still self-host my own rips and previously purchased hi-res stuff for when I really want to listen to it, but the days when I'd throw compute horsepower at audio such as to reencode FLAC to MP3 in real time when that was a big deal... long gone. It's zero priority, residing on a compact NAS with an ancient 5 year old PC running Plex and JRMC that I remember to update the software versions of like once every 2-3 years.

So, the descent into comparative normiehood - at least as far a audio is concerned - is complete.

F

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #651 of 828

823EF6E1-33F5-4DD3-B406-52ED0E70DFA5.jpeg
Ah the Melos and HPs. Nice memories.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #652 of 828
A few days ago a Sennheiser HD58X arrived and a Schiit Magni Heresy should be here this week. An ancient TI PCM2705-based USB DAC will be my source for now, though at some point I think it’ll be replaced with a more modern budget USB DAC. Soon I’ll have a desktop music listening setup again, and for a lot cheaper than my old one.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #654 of 828
Stumbled onto this thread the other day and had a nice time seeing familiar names. I have mainly been a Head Fi lurker in the past but did attend some Chicago meets back in the day. I have mostly been out of the headphone game for the past few years, and don't really visit the main forums. I have gotten back into the hobby since mainly working from home these days. I recently picked up the Beyer 1990 dt pro. I have always liked Beyers since the early 2000s. I hooked up my second-hand PPA with diamond buffer and connected some Sennheisser 650s. While these cans still prefer tubes, the PPA holds up very well. I will be playing this amp all week to get reacquainted. I believe this is a JMT Audio maxxed out PPA with bass boost and cross feed. Takes me back! And yes, it beats the Asgard 2 in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_3675.JPEG
    IMG_3675.JPEG
    665 KB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #655 of 828
Wow, this thread is still going! (Member since June of 2001) I'm rarely active anymore as I don't think I have much to offer!
My only complaint is the label finally came off of my official Head Fi coffee mug. Is there a warranty???

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #656 of 828
Farting in from this account for the first time in ages. Great to see a bunch of you from WAY back online, especially folks I haven't seen at the various CanJams over the years. Hope everyone is doing well amidst the pandemic, but at least we've all had plenty of nice headphones to see us through stay-at-home, eh?

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #657 of 828
Good to see your still using the tower of power.
I am listening to my Hp1s as I type this.I still have my Melos as well,
But I am listening to the Hp1s hooked up to a Pass Labs XA25 power amp.driven by a Lampi Big 7 Emmlabs CDSD using a Hegel P30 Peamp.
THe Grados are sounding Mighty good
Bozebuttons!!!

I'm so glad to see you're still alive and kicking! How have you been?

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #658 of 828
Bozebuttons!!!

I'm so glad to see you're still alive and kicking! How have you been?
Had a little bout with covid a few weeks back but back at work now,otherwise doing well.
Have to much gear need to lessen the heard.

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #659 of 828
This thread brings back so much memory from the past. I remember Ed_wood trying to buy a used Sony R10's at around $1K on ebay (from Japan) in early 2000's and we witnessed the magical transformation of replacing lamb skin earpads on them. Back then, spending that kind of money for a pair of headphones was considered insane and only few headphones ever costed more than $1K (Sennheiser HE90/HE60 or Sony MDR-R10 come to my mind). I think I was on a peanut butter and jelly diet for a decade to avoid my wife's wraith after buying some of those bucket list headphone gears. Look at the Head-fi now and how the community has grown, where I see so many new folks including more younger crowds buying insanely expensive gears and threads with more than thousand replies.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #660 of 828
Had a little bout with covid a few weeks back but back at work now,otherwise doing well.
Have to much gear need to lessen the heard.
I'm glad to hear you're doing ok. You've always had too much gear, so that's nothing new. I thought you'd be retired by now. Why are you still humping it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back