Any of you guys have noise induced hearing loss too?
Jul 31, 2019 at 5:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
I am quite saddened as I did an audiometry test a few days back and found that I have mild to moderate noise induced hearing loss of both ears. Apparently the audiologist says it is irreversible too. I'm in my 30s and have the hearing results of an old man =(.
I don't have any hearing issues with normal day to day conversation or music though. I've been listening to music since I was a small kid with headphones and later on IEMs (at low volumes).

Actually, I wasn't surprised with the test results as I was playing in a band for the past 15 years and in the earlier years, there was no hearing protection with IEM/headphone usage and we just played with a speaker blasting in front of us. Most days I was playing a keyboard in front of someone else hammering the drums, and to get better hearing of what I was playing, I generally boosted my volume to be louder than the drums. Sometimes there was ringing in my ears after a band session. Only for the past 10 years, I've been using IEMs or closed back ear phones for stage monitoring, and they definitely help with hearing protection by allowing a lower volume to be used during performances.

I listen to music daily, but nowadays try to limit the volume to max 30 - 40% of my smartphone/PC/DAC. Definitely with more volume, details and bass sounds better, but I'm ok with lowering the volume to preserve hearing.

So everyone, please take care of your hearing, whether it be for stage monitoring or for casual listening. Don't blast your music for casual listening even though there is a tendency for that to get a better bass oomph of details. Any sound at 85 dB should be limited to < 8 hours according to the audiologist. Do you guys know of any accurate way to measure what level of loudness is being played through your IEMs/headphones?

I wished I knew about the importance of hearing protection when I was younger, but well better late than never, and I hope that the rest of us know about the dangers of loud music.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 16
Sorry to hear the bad news. There is a great deal of technology available to help with hearing today. They have aids I hear that can fit into your ear canal so people will not even see you are wearing anything at all. Which probably means you will be able to continue listening, (at a reasonable volume)[Milton/Office Space lol] well into your golden years. So sorry to hear the diagnosis, however, you should have options that will allow you to continue to enjoy hearing all the wonderful sounds life has to offer. Be well and very best to you, your ears and your music.

Jul 31, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 16
Sorry to hear the bad news. There is a great deal of technology available to help with hearing today. They have aids I hear that can fit into your ear canal so people will not even see you are wearing anything at all. Which probably means you will be able to continue listening, (at a reasonable volume)[Milton/Office Space lol] well into your golden years. So sorry to hear the diagnosis, however, you should have options that will allow you to continue to enjoy hearing all the wonderful sounds life has to offer. Be well and very best to you, your ears and your music.

Thanks for the kind wishes.
My hearing loss is thankfully just mild to moderate, so it is not so severe to require hearing aids for now. Just maybe can't hear some high frequency sounds.
I don't find any issues with daily conversation actually and will just reduce the frequency I play in the band. I still love my music to listen to it daily, just maybe at lower volumes.
Just would like to let us music lovers be aware of noise induced hearing loss and to listen to music at reasonable volumes.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 16
Still as sensitive as I was in my 30', now I am 61. But for the last 20 years or so, I have had tinnitus. I am exploring tinnitus treatments, do not waste time or money on over the counter medications.

Aug 1, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes, bands/guitar/concerts, mild to moderate high frequency loss. I declare it most of the time when I feedback on headphones because readers need to know my treble insensitivity to get some sense of how much of what I'm saying might apply to them. Honestly in this hobby I feel like it isn't awful, a lot of great cans are only let down by excessive treble, which doesn't bother me (is helpful even) unless it's particularly bad.

Aug 2, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 16
Still as sensitive as I was in my 30', now I am 61. But for the last 20 years or so, I have had tinnitus. I am exploring tinnitus treatments, do not waste time or money on over the counter medications.

I'm in a similar position, although my tinnitus is very mild and doesn't hinder me in any way. Ain't no such things as tinnitus treatments is there? i thought you were stuck with it.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 16
In a similar position - though now am in my late 30's. Have hearing loss in the 3-6kHz range; possibly noise induced but likely to be hereditary too.

Would be most interested in hearing about the tinnitus treatments being explored. I primarily use a range of supplements just to try prevent any further damage / degradation (such as Magnesium, Gingko, and CBD). But open to exploring any alternatives.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 16
I am quite saddened as I did an audiometry test a few days back and found that I have mild to moderate noise induced hearing loss of both ears. Apparently the audiologist says it is irreversible too. I'm in my 30s and have the hearing results of an old man =(.
I don't have any hearing issues with normal day to day conversation or music though. I've been listening to music since I was a small kid with headphones and later on IEMs (at low volumes).

Actually, I wasn't surprised with the test results as I was playing in a band for the past 15 years and in the earlier years, there was no hearing protection with IEM/headphone usage and we just played with a speaker blasting in front of us. Most days I was playing a keyboard in front of someone else hammering the drums, and to get better hearing of what I was playing, I generally boosted my volume to be louder than the drums. Sometimes there was ringing in my ears after a band session. Only for the past 10 years, I've been using IEMs or closed back ear phones for stage monitoring, and they definitely help with hearing protection by allowing a lower volume to be used during performances.

I listen to music daily, but nowadays try to limit the volume to max 30 - 40% of my smartphone/PC/DAC. Definitely with more volume, details and bass sounds better, but I'm ok with lowering the volume to preserve hearing.

So everyone, please take care of your hearing, whether it be for stage monitoring or for casual listening. Don't blast your music for casual listening even though there is a tendency for that to get a better bass oomph of details. Any sound at 85 dB should be limited to < 8 hours according to the audiologist. Do you guys know of any accurate way to measure what level of loudness is being played through your IEMs/headphones?

I wished I knew about the importance of hearing protection when I was younger, but well better late than never, and I hope that the rest of us know about the dangers of loud music.
Sorry to hear that bro. This makes me want to get my hearing checked out.
I think I am good so far, don't listen to music very loudly, and never played in a band, so I should be good.
You might want to give your ears a rest, and switch to speakers instead of iems of headphones, I don't know... just an idea.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 16
I rode a motorcycle for a few years without hearing protection.

I now wearing hearing protection all the time. Life choices..

Wow is your motorcycle engine super loud?

Aug 2, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 16
Sorry to hear that bro. This makes me want to get my hearing checked out.
I think I am good so far, don't listen to music very loudly, and never played in a band, so I should be good.
You might want to give your ears a rest, and switch to speakers instead of iems of headphones, I don't know... just an idea.

Thanks. I had no issues with conversation or listening to music and just did the test on a whim. Whoops. But I guess since you have no "risk factors" your hearing should hopefully be intact.

Anyway just as well I found out about this issue and can take precautions from now on.
Hope everyone else gets educated about the dangers of loud music (or even workplace noise exposure) and to take care of their precious hearing.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Aug 2, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Unfortunately yes due to many contributing factors :frowning2: Health, too many loud concerts when younger, work related stuff (this is the main one, the ignorance with regards to noise levels at work baffles the mind sometimes) and so on.

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #14 of 16
I've had tinnitus since 2 years old, when an audiologist accidentally turned the hearing test apparatus up full volume before beginning the test. Bad news: treble sensitivity. Good news: I can tune to the F# in my ear.

Best wishes to you as you continue to battle the never-ending ring.

Aug 6, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 16
Wow is your motorcycle engine super loud?

Interestingly, I'd guess it's not the engine. It's the wind. If you ride a lot or a long time, the sound of the wind can be literally deafening. A lot of folks have the idea helmets are these kinds of sealed headpieces, but really the wind just whistles right through them.

I have permanent tinnitus and it's fairly loud (to me), which I thought was caused by motorcycling without earplugs. But I recently went to an audiologist and my hearing is apparently average or better in each category. So I have no idea what the deal is.

That's actually what has recently got me into headphones/iems. Listening to music is one of the few ways to get relief for me. I'm still trying to find the right balance of comfort, sound, and ability to listen for a long time without getting exhausted or a headache.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back