Any news/reviews on the New Ultrasone Zino's
Jun 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for being lazy, but i've had a quick go on the 'search' bar, but i want to see if anyone has bought and tested the new Ultrasone Zino's? Are they rehashed iCans?

I would have a go on them myself, but I've split up with the trouble and strife, and I need cash for the impending divorce, however, there's enough left over for the New Shure SRH headphones though
k701smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
wink_face.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
:

Jun 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Some people gave quick impressions from CanJam like Germancub...http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/ca...ml#post5727464

Very positive but not really much to go on. They all seem to say they are quite bassy. They need to be to counteract the losses out in the real world.

Jul 1, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #3 of 4
I have ordered mine on Saturday but the first shipment was sold out already. I expect to get them on Saturday. However, my left eardrum burst open few days ago and I'm getting married this weekend so I won't be able to post a review yet.

This sounds pretty good:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Germancub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Zino: Really incredible portable phones, quite bass heavy but in a good way. Can't believe how great they are for only 99 dollars.

I have one question, though. Why are German products cheaper in the U.S. than they are in Germany?! Really really unfair.
70 € in the States and we Germans have to pay 99 €.

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 4
ULTRASONE ZINO! UNBIASED REVIEW WITH/OUT AMP - MOBILE RIG

SOURCE: Apple Lossless and movie clips

INTERCONNECT: Moon Audio Blue Dragon V1 - 26AWG Silver conductor

AMP: Portable Type - Little Dot MKI with LT1364 op-amp upgrade.

Here I go with the review.  Unbiased and I am open to opinions and suggestions. 

The Ultrasone Zino.  Designed in Germany and built in China (Shenzhen).  The Drivers are taken from one series of headphones, which is the HFI-2400.  Both the Zino and the HFI-2400 (confirmed from Heidi at Ultrasone Deutschland) use the same 40-mm Gold-plated Mylar drivers however the HFI uses a higher-impedance coil versus the iphone friendly Zino.  None the less the audio signature is roughly the same.  The S-Logic portion for the Zino is not as apparent than with the rest of the lineup due to the shape and location of the drivers within the headphone casing. 

There has been many different tech-specs published within this forum so after speaking to Heidi from Ultrasone Germany, she has stated the accurate specs are published on the dedicated Zino website (www.lost-sound.com).  Here are the exact specs.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 10-hz to 25-KHz
IMPEDANCE: 35-ohms
S-Logic, ULE Shielding using MU Bufferboard.
40-millimeter Gold-plated Mylar drivers
Supra-Aural Coupler, semi-open headphone design. (This last one is different than with the iCans).
The Ultrasone Rep from Germany (Heidi) informed me that aside from the tech specs, everything else is a slight omission from stated fact.  Designed in Germany, made in China. Drivers are produced in Germany (headphone drivers).

These headphones are much larger than I initially thought when I first purchased these as a birthday present to myself.  After the purchase, I was invited to a audiophile gathering only find my other friends to have purchased the iCans and the NU30.  So here I am, toting the Zino's with the ability to audition the other two for a true A/B comparison. 

The Zino, NU30, and the iCans have similar sonic characteristics yet they are not the same in drivers and overall design.  The iCans have an airy signature with well define treble and mid-range.  The Bass could stand for some improvement such as warmth and quantity (All of the headphone tests is through my Little Dot MKI).  The drivers used in the iCans are 30-millimeters and use a mylar diaphragm.  The headband is a little rounded and is a little tighter on the head especially with the shape of my head that is.  I do like the overall sound-stage of the iCans, however I do not like the sonic character or the sibilance factor that the cans exudes.  Otherwise, the iCans are very good for the given price point (discounts are usually available since the Zino replaces the iCans).

The NuForce NU30 uses the iCans 30-millimeter mylar diaphragm with similar dampening characteristics.  Uses the same headphone casing as the Zino with the same headband, however from what I gather after listening to them, it has a balance between the iCans and the Zino.  The sibilance factor still exists but not so much.  Bass quality and quantity is present while still maintaining certain attributes.  One thing is for certain is that the NuForce headphone sounds a bit better when an amplifier is used rather without. 

Just for reference, the Little Dot MKI uses an op-amp for pre-amplification while a dedicated TI headphone amp circuit is used.  This provides a level of impedance matching hence one amp is required rather than multiple amps for different headphone choices.

Now the Zino.  Upon using it for the first time or the first ten hours, the bass quantity is high while the quality is good.  Punchy, deep, and fairly tight (without amplification that is - better with amp) while the mid-range is rather smooth transitioning to the higher frequencies with a great deal of definition.  This is after just opening the box and listening to them.  With the amp, these characters are improved subtly with an increase in overall sound-stage depth.  An Amplifier whether it is desktop or mobile, will provide a higher level of headphone driver control especially when listening to bass or treble heavy tracks.  An amp can better control those frequencies than with just using a simple line or headphone output of any given device. 

After passing the 10-hour mark, the Zino opens up a bit in the mid-range and treble frequencies.  The Sound-stage opens up to deeper overtones and widens a bit as though sitting third row center.  Bass frequencies are slightly less with go deeper in the registers while smoothly blending in with the mid to high frequencies.  The Lossless recording used is The Secret Island Album by Stanley Thomas Keiser - Twin Mic Setup by Clarity Recordings.  The nasal quality and depth of the alto-sax is just superb while the bass guitarist and drums are unbelievable in the quantity and quality.  It feels as though I am actually sitting in the recording studio for a private listening session.  There is no harsh overtones or brightness in the music being reproduced by this headphone.  Just sheer bliss and clean sound-stage representation. 

Then I decided to let them burn-in for an entire week playing everything in my ipod 3rd-generation coupled to the Little Dot MKI (connected to AC and not off of battery).  144-hours plus the 10+ hours of initial listening and I feel the Zino's drivers have settled a bit.  The Sound-stage, dynamic range, and overall warmth of these headphones are excellent.  Very clean and clear with no sign of peaks or dips throughout the frequency range.  Graphs are deceiving hence that is why I am not introducing any of them in this review.  I really like the quality that this headphone exudes and after owning a great deal of full-size headphones, I must say that the Ultrasone Zino is one of the most comfortable portable, on-ear headphones that I tried and owned ever.

CONCLUSION
This is an excellent headphone whether it is amped or not.  Subtly better when amped especially when listening to very clean audio tracks.  Sound leakage is to be expected with a headphone of this class, but the audio reproduced by the Zino makes up for what most could say could be lacking.  If isolation is the key, then this headphone would not be ideal.  I am rather flexible with headphones hence that is why I am writing a review on the Zino.  I just love the way they make music shine. 

Hope this review was helpful.  Opinions are welcome.  Have a great weekend everybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back