Any low/zero hiss MP3 players to use with Shure SE535LTD?
Sep 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ya93sin

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I recently purchased some Shure SE535 limited edition headphones as an upgrade from my Shure SE215s that I had previously.

I'm loving the headphones and the sound is incredible compared to the 215s, especially the bass and mids.

However here's my issue:

- I currently use a HTC One as my portable music player, but there's a lot of hiss on it.
When the headphones are plugged in and no music is being played, it's fine. However when I play music, even with no EQ change there is a constant hiss. This hiss of course goes into any amplifier I use (currently have a Fiio E12 Mont Blanc).

As far as I know, the Shures have a sensitivity of 119 dB SPL/mW and an impedance of 36 Ω.

Does anybody have some suggestions for some music players with the following qualities:
-High sound quality
-A screen
-Under 250g weight, able to fit nicely into a trouser pocket
- Zero/Extremely low hiss
-Under £200 cost

Or is perhaps a DAC audio out a more effective option? I understand the HTC One allows USB Audio Out using an On the Go cable.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 7
  The Fiio X3 is very good sounding DAP (highly detailed, very powerful due to the highend DAC/AMPs built in and great built quality with extra features.

Thank you for the suggestion. Do you know about any hiss issues?
Regards,

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 7
My iPod Touch has no hiss, atleast I never noticed it with my Shure SE535 (bronze). 

My iPod Touch is 3rd gen I believe, so it should be within your budget.

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 7
  My iPod Touch has no hiss, atleast I never noticed it with my Shure SE535 (bronze). 

My iPod Touch is 3rd gen I believe, so it should be within your budget.

Ah OK, maybe I'll ask my sister if her IPod is that gen and try it out.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 7
Never had any hiss using my SE535Ltd with a Sansa Clip and a Cowon X7.
I had some when I tried adding a FiiO E7 amp. Much less with a Pico amp, which improved treble quite a bit.
But I don't play music very loud, being quite sensitive.

Dec 30, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Bumping up this thread.  I am having issues with a newly purchased SE535 (not ltd).  When I first put them on there was no sound in the right ear and very little on the left.  After removing the cables and reconnecting several times and changing the tips, I now have sound (although I am concerned that it is unstable).  I tried it with my X5 and DX50 (both low gain) and they sound fine with no hiss.  I then tried it with my Iphone 5 (no hiss) and when I switched back to the X5/DX50 and even the Clip Zip, there is a very audible hiss that does not go away.  Has anyone experienced this?  I know they are sensitive but this is ridiculous.  I feel as if either the cable or the earphones are defective or I am doing something wrong.  I heard that the X5/SE535 is a great pairing and did not see any reviews/comments stating that there would be a problem with these earphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back