ANY LOVERS OF AUTECHRE OUT THERE?
Feb 28, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 38
I know there's a few - literally - Ae fans on Head-Fi. Just a heads up then: Oversteps has been legal on Bleep for about a week now.

Quite succinctly, I think the album is balls. Has anyone else checked it out yet?

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #20 of 38
Man, I don't know how to answer that. It is their most melodic album in about a decade but still abstract in some places. I would say it could be Autechre's most representative work, a sum of all their pieces.

Warp uploaded a good sampler:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #21 of 38
Everybody should listen to inculabula. It's quite simply one of the most important and outstanding modern electronic masterpieces out there.

Modern day Mozart if you will.

Tri repete++ with the garbagemx ep is superb.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tri repete++ with the garbagemx ep is superb.

Another fan here, this is my Ae fav followed closely by Amber and Incunabula.

-Thanks for the heds up viro, I didn't think the album would leak so early, I'm placing an order.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #23 of 38
another headfier turned me on to this band. i have one album by them (Tri Repetae++, which is a 2CD set) and love it. i play it all the time. good sound quality too.

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody should listen to inculabula. It's quite simply one of the most important and outstanding modern electronic masterpieces out there.

Can't disagree. I'm actually of the mind that Confield is the greatest experimental techno album ever made. For example, it had chip tune elements back in 01 for jimmny sakes and was completely leftfield. By then, Autechre had lost many with their weirdness however.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to read it!

New album in March for Autechreheads:

Autechre - New Album 'Oversteps'

i acquired it a couple weeks ago from a label-connected friend. good stuff! definitely not your mother's Tri Repetae++.
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like their early material the best. I hate hate hate their experiments with random-based rhythms. That's just antithetical to whatever it is I am "about". Gantz Graf was brilliant, though.

Not random, fractal.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #27 of 38
With an online handle like mine I have to at least know about them
smily_headphones1.gif
I like Amber and Tri. I got to play some tracks quite a while ago while DJ'ing at a club here. Spinning Laibach atm tho...

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #28 of 38
Well, I've heard the album...very positive impressions. They have veered much more toward the melodic and metered side of electronic music than I would have expected; given their prolific output around the time that Quarastice came out (they released about 4 discs' worth of material from those sessions) I thought they were still finding a balance between the more palatable 'classic' IDM sound and their algorithmic MIDI experimentations (which was basically all Untilted was).

My main impression was that it sounds more like a Sending Orbs record than a Warp record; the brightness of some of the synths as well as the quality of the melodies had a very 'Kettel' vibe to me. Actually, the new Autechre record is precisely what I would have expected the next Scone album to sound like (Scone is a collaboration between Kettel and Funckarma - everyone that hasn't heard their album Maze should do so immediately if they like melodic IDM).

To everyone that's been put off by their last 2 releases (especially Untilted), don't hesitate to give them another chance with this one.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #30 of 38
I'm listening to Oversteps right now, and I like what i'm hearing. It may be blasphemy to some of you, but i've only listened to Quarstice before, it never really got to me. The addition of strings and actual melody makes the music so much better to my ears. From what i'm reading in this thread I should give their first albums a listen
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back