ANY LOVERS OF AUTECHRE OUT THERE?
Jun 7, 2009 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

THAY BRAN

100+ Head-Fier
I cannot help but notice the majority here seem to like Rock based music,just wanted to see if there was any progressive electronic lovers outthere who listen to Ae , snd , ttv ?

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 38
Electronic fan checking in.

I'm more a fan of early, analog-y Autechre although some of their recent creations are quite interesting and at times delightfull menacing (see 'Tankakern' on Quarastice).

I'll toss Plaid and Yimino into the 'if you like x try y' mix.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40Hz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also a big fan of The Black Dog. Spanners FTW

Man, those guys have pumped out a ton 'o stuff on Soma lately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by THAY BRAN
just wanted to see if there was any progressive electronic lovers

Well, you just met MoodySteve. I think that's about it for Head-Fi. There have been a smattering of Autechre threads throughout the years.

Jun 8, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 38
virometal;5747834 said:
Man, those guys have pumped out a ton 'o stuff on Soma lately.

I just checked that, and boy, quite some output over the past couple of years - need to investigate (have Radio Scarecrow, at least, and it's not too shabby). Interestingly (IMO, at any rate), it seems the original trio parted company in 1994, when two of them went off to focus on Plaid. So, not having any experience with them, it seems I need to look into MoodySteve's recommendation as well.

Anyway, looks like the recent Black Dog releases are by the remaining original member (Ken Downie), plus Richard and Martin Dust, who own the "Dust Science Recordings" label. I wonder whether they are the guys who threatened suit many years ago when the Chemical Brothers were originally named the Dust Brothers... (heads to record cabinet to find "If you kling to me I'll klong to you").

/ Ambient trivia ends

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 38
so who is it on the spawn soundtrack with korn? that is actually the chemical brothers then?

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rock&rollfrenchfries /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so who is it on the spawn soundtrack with korn? that is actually the chemical brothers then?

Not familiar with the soundtrack, but no, it is the Dust Brothers who, it seems, are yet another pairing based in LA. See Dust Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and in particular the "Note" at the bottom which closes the loop.

I should have researched this a touch better before posting...

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40Hz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need to look into MoodySteve's recommendation as well.

Oh I wasn't recommending any of their later stuff; haven't heard anything save the mentioned Radio Scarecrow, which I was thought was okay, nothing more. Let us know if any of the other recent releases are worth checking out. I'm done unless someone slobbers over one. There's too much music in the world.

If I had to pick a favorite Autechre album, it would be between Confield and Tri Repetae. I'd probably lean toward the former right now. That sucker blew my mind when it was released.

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #12 of 38
Yeah, I really like Autechre's dark, obscure sounding tunes. Electronic music appeals to me greatly and other groups I listen to and recommend are Boards of Canada, Amorphous Androgynous, FSOL, Biosphere and not forgetting Global Communication (their 76:14 album is a classic).

Jun 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #15 of 38
I like their early material the best. I hate hate hate their experiments with random-based rhythms. That's just antithetical to whatever it is I am "about". Gantz Graf was brilliant, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back