any longboarders here? longboard recommendations
Jul 21, 2008 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jumpinjohn1234

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Im looking for a longboard and have no idea where to start. I got to try out a skateboard and a longboard, and felt the longboard was a lot eaiser and smoother. I just need some kind of transportation on my college campus- nothing too hardcore.

Also Im acutally looking of a short longboard or a shorboard I guess, somehting small like a skateboard size, no bigger. I saw sector nine has small ones in their bamboo series or their mini series.

Any recommendation on brands? I see a lot of sector 9s on campus.
Any recommendation on a good website to buy a longboard?
A website that has good cheap prices thats reliable?

Im not looking for anything fancy, just to get around so sub $100 price tag would be nice.

thanks!

Jul 21, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 14
I rode a Sector 9 for a few semesters in college until I realized that a bicycle was much more efficient way to fly.

But yeah, Sector 9 has been in the longboard biz since the 70's, I believe.

Jul 21, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 14
Longboards?

surfboard_longboard_big2.jpg

This is the kind I like!

biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 14
Imo Bicycles do surpass Longboards for transportational purposes but depending on your campus i guess a (short)Longboard could be fun
biggrin.gif

What was the board you tried like? concave,convex? stiff,plush? small,wide?

Personaly i've been dreaming of getting one of the longer slalomboards and put skyhooks on it, but that might not translate to reality as nice as in my dream
tongue.gif

What does your campus look like, is it dispersed or are the buildings all in one area?
Just as in head-fi , you'll better state a budget
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo Bicycles do surpass Longboards for transportational purposes but depending on your campus i guess a (short)Longboard could be fun
biggrin.gif

What was the board you tried like? concave,convex? stiff,plush? small,wide?

Personaly i've been dreaming of getting one of the longer slalomboards and put skyhooks on it, but that might not translate to reality as nice as in my dream
tongue.gif

What does your campus look like, is it dispersed or are the buildings all in one area?
Just as in head-fi , you'll better state a budget
evil_smiley.gif

my campus is mostly hills, but I know I wont be trying to go down those, because i'll kill myself since they're so steep with so many students. Some parts are nice and flat thats where I can save time, but you wont get a nice inbetween. The buildings are mostly dispersed. as for budget, sub $110 nothing serious for me. Something small would be nice too. like sub 30" in length

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 14
Sounds like you go to UCSD.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 14
Long boards are weak for campus, in that, the whole fun of getting a long board is carving and hauling arse. Most campuses aren't built for you to carve and haul arse, so a bicycle definitely trumps it in this respect. Besides that fact, you have to carry that beast in class, rather than locking it up outside.

And besides, if you're gonna skateboard on campus, part of the fun part is doing tricks on the way to class!!!

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #10 of 14
I second the "longboards are for carving and speed,"

I haven't done too much longboarding; I just love the 'flicky' quick turns a short board can provide (on concrete and water for that matter ).

Otherwise ...

A longboard could still be fun to cruise around campus on but had I my druthers, I'd take a short stick for the sidewalks.

BTW:

Me and some bros skate this garage all the time, ... I generally stick to shortboards, but certain of my friends won't ride anything but longboards.

Here's a vid of me doing the garage solo:

[size=large]Fun Garage[/size]

And here's a sick ditch near my house:

[size=large]Sick Ditch[/size]

Otherwise ...

Setting topics like geography and physics aside, ...

Just chose the board that you've most fallen smitten with. Long or short. As long as your stocked on the equipment, it won't matter what sort of territory you cover ...

You'll make it work.

wink.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 14
well keep in mind a bike cost much more than a longboard (at least not the ones from department stores) But either way i want a small carry-able longboard- like I said. I wanted a short board. As for skateboards they're not as smooth compared to longboards which is why i want a longboard.

Anyway can someone recommend me a decent website to pick up a shortboard somehting sub 30"? all the websites I go to sell expensive longbaords.

I just need something to get around, sub $110, short (less than 30"), and not a skateboard.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 14
If you're gonna go that route. Just get a short sector9 with large wheels....about the size of a skateboard, but cruises like a long board.

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 14
well, you should look into landyachtz and earthwing boards, they are nice.
Though for commuting around campus a smaller board might be better, so I would definitely recommend a Penny Killer, made by Churchill. Alot of penny boards are shoddy quality, thats why I specifically recommended the one by Churchill, though there are still many other good penny boards out there.
http://legitboardshop.com/shop/churchill/penny-killer-churchill-manufacturing-deck-only/

also, for getting around campus, a backpack with straps for boards on the back isn't a bad idea. 
tongue.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I848CUU?colid=21KI2L8KRF9D4&coliid=I29LT193ZXF2LC&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back