Any linux users out there?
Feb 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #31 of 39
I just got Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 running on my girlfriend's netbook last night, and I am loving it. They really did a good job with how the apps use as little screen space as possible. This is critical on netbooks since the screens are so tiny to begin with. I would even run this on a regular laptop with a smaller screen size of 14 inches or so.

Feb 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was amazed how friendly Fedora 12 was
o2smile.gif

It has really evolved a lot over the years and I find it to be a very uncomplicated distribution.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #34 of 39
Since my post on page 1, I've switched from Gentoo to Arch Linux. I ran Gentoo basically since its inception, and while I'll be the first to tell you how great portage is, it also seems very slow and overcomplicated.

I'm very much refreshed by Arch Linux. It has an even thinner layer of tools over top the GNU/Linux that I know and love. I have very little to complain about with it.

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since my post on page 1, I've switched from Gentoo to Arch Linux. I ran Gentoo basically since its inception, and while I'll be the first to tell you how great portage is, it also seems very slow and overcomplicated.

I'm very much refreshed by Arch Linux. It has an even thinner layer of tools over top the GNU/Linux that I know and love. I have very little to complain about with it.

I'm running Arch, too. Have been for probably 6 months. I love it. Seems like it's the closest I can get to Gentoo without actually using Gentoo. As much as I respect Gentoo, having to compile everything yourself these days just seems...unnecessary.

I also run Debian on a home server I've got, and it's great for situations where I need something 100% stable.

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #36 of 39
Arch stopped my distro hopping 4 yers ago.... It's a good distro for someone w/a little experience & doesn't mind setting up their own config files.

I use xbmc for my music player needs. M-Audio 2496 audio card for bit perfect playback.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #38 of 39
Not running any linux distro on the desktop at the moment but the soundcard in my desktop is an Echo Gina24. Echo seems to have always had excellent driver support in linux.

For those of you using the USB output for an external DAC, is it any good? Also the digital output of most onboard sound cards is complete garbage btw. The digital out of the Echo Gina3g smoked the onboard. It wasn't even close and very very clearly audible to anyone who heard the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back