Any linux users out there?
Feb 5, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #16 of 39
Another Linux user here as well. I'm stuck in Mac OS X at the moment as my other computer is down but when I do use it, I'm either using Ubuntu or Arch Linux (which I find easier to use in my humble opinion).

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #17 of 39
Fedora 12 on my laptop, Debian 5 (hate it) at uni, CentOS on my server.

Exaile and Listen are probably my favorite players, but they don't beat foobar2000 on wine.

If you have pulseaudio on more than one machine, you can have the other machines reconized as local inputs.
Handy for example for playing audio from your laptop on your desktop rig.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #18 of 39
Arch linux on my laptop and desktop. I mostly use mpd and ncmpcc, but I can't get pulse to work on the desktop to be able to switch between sources, so I just output xmms to my headphone rig and leave everything else outputting to the speakers.
dt880smile.png

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm..I wonder if this bug has been reported in their bug tracker system for Amarok.

From what I have read, the bug is actually in xine, not amarok.

Quote:

My only method of output from my computer is USB, which will only do 16/48 with my DAC.

From the specs, it looks like your dac supports 32, 44.1, or 48kHz and 16 bits because it uses the TI PCM2902 usb receiver. Since most material is 44.1kHz, I would think it would be the most likely for playback. If you are not getting 44.1, then you are probably going through a mixer somewhere in the audio chain where everything is being resampled to 48.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arch linux on my laptop and desktop. I mostly use mpd and ncmpcc, but I can't get pulse to work on the desktop to be able to switch between sources, so I just output xmms to my headphone rig and leave everything else outputting to the speakers.
dt880smile.png

Yay another Archer!
dt880smile.png
What are you using for the output to either of your rigs? Have you also considered using a real-time kernel and JACK to solve your audio routing problems?

Feb 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither Alsa nor Pulseaudio will resample by default, so there is nothing you have to do for bit-perfect playback other than making sure the volume is set to 100%.

ALSA, etc, won't resample unless configured to do so, but if your hardware is only capable of 48khz you may want it to resample. But that's another discussion.

Unless you go to great lengths to do something different, volume control under linux is strictly through the hardware mixer.

The hardware mixer has no effect on digital output, except that the mixer may have a toggle or may have an output that controls the digital output -- which is to say that on some devices you will actually need to mute the iec958 device in order to get digital output. And on others you may need to unmute the iec958 device and set it's volume to 0 (since mute and 0 volume are different functions, as far as the hardware is concerned).

Altering the main or PCM volume level in the hardware mixer in linux won't do anything to the digital output.

ALSA is great because it's so close to the hardware. It's also annoying sometimes because it's so close to the hardware.

Pulse is a highly useful abstraction layer on top of ALSA, that can even create virtual ALSA devices, but it would be nice if, for example, it would ameliorate driver and hardware bugs instead of exposing them. My take on Pulse is generally that it's an excellent tool for research and vertical software development that was hijacked for general consumption by the linux distributions. And just when ALSA D-Bus was getting really useful.

Just look at the feature set - say your application would really benefit from simultaneous analog and digital output but your hardware doesn't know how to do that. Pulse will do it, but it insists on doing it with 99.99999% precise synchronizing. Which takes significant CPU overhead. Which would be fine if you needed it.

Pulse is clearly an interface for creating professional-grade audio workstations, which isn't necessarily what joe user needs or wants.

Feb 5, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to see how many linux head-fi'ers are out there, and what they are using for playback. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, and all I had to do was go into the volume preferences and select the USB Codec for output to my PS Audio Digital Link III. I'm using Rhythm Box as my media player. Is this the best way to get bit-perfect playback, or are there any other drivers/things I can check to ensure that I'm getting bit-perfect playback?

Ubunto???; try the "musix" the best distribution for audio.

Home Musix GNU+Linux

download this live...

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #24 of 39
Feb 6, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #25 of 39
*raises hand*

I work in a computational lab with clustered machines for CentOS 4 and 5 on campus. I used Mint on my laptop. I really like Mint. It's a debian distro.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*raises hand*

I work in a computational lab with clustered machines for CentOS 4 and 5 on campus. I used Mint on my laptop. I really like Mint. It's a debian distro.

Are they running ROCKS cluster software as well?

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #27 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul_Est /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they running ROCKS cluster software as well?

That I could not answer. I don't even get root in the lab
frown.gif
Forced to use openoffice 1.1 .... Keeps crashing on me.
triportsad.gif

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwells /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That I could not answer. I don't even get root in the lab
frown.gif
Forced to use openoffice 1.1 .... Keeps crashing on me.
triportsad.gif

Ouch, that I still find to be better than my school's setup in that we only use Windows (it's an "institute of technology"
triportsad.gif
).

Quote:

Originally Posted by apricum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm another mpd user. I use gimmix as client.
Gimmix does work nicely on an ARM embedded system, too.

I used ncmpc myself before my Ubuntu installation got corrupted due to aging harddrives (loose power connector and hard to repair
triportsad.gif
).

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #30 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fedora 12 on my laptop, Debian 5 (hate it) at uni, CentOS on my server.

I was amazed how friendly Fedora 12 was
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back