Any linux users out there?
Feb 2, 2010 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to see how many linux head-fi'ers are out there, and what they are using for playback. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10, and all I had to do was go into the volume preferences and select the USB Codec for output to my PS Audio Digital Link III. I'm using Rhythm Box as my media player. Is this the best way to get bit-perfect playback, or are there any other drivers/things I can check to ensure that I'm getting bit-perfect playback?

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 39
I use Linux off and on when I need to, but haven't thought about playing music from it. I've always found it to be a pain, if I ever want to install and fully use any hardware. Mind you, I like playing in consoles more than KDE/Gnome type interfaces. <_<

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 39
Neither Alsa nor Pulseaudio will resample by default, so there is nothing you have to do for bit-perfect playback other than making sure the volume is set to 100%. Just choose a player that has the UI and media management features you like. I use Audacious because it's "Add Files" menu option is most convenient for album listening like I do. It also has a last.fm audio scrobbling addin. The only thing I don't like about it is it is not quite gapless on playback of live albums.
If you have multiple audio interfaces on your computer, then it is handy to install the Pulseaudio Device Chooser; it allows you to quickly move an audio stream from one device to another. I do a little home recording, so I always have at least 3 if not more audio interfaces on my main computer...it's really handy to be able to quickly change the currently playing song from headphones to monitors. Just watch out for the nasty habit it has of setting your volume down a little, or muting it altogether when the computer is rebooted.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #5 of 39
I'm a long-time linux user. I currently use my PSAudio DLIII via usb on my Gentoo server for my 2-channel stereo / headphone rig. Music on Console seems like a funny choice for a media player, but I find it's very fast, efficient, and comfortable for me to use! Of course, the big win is how easy it is to use remotely (via ssh) from my laptop or Droid.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 39
I've been running Linux since 2003.

Unfortunately, I don't use it for music. I mostly spin vinyl and SACD with some FM thrown in for good measure.

Feb 3, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #7 of 39
i use linux for my music
smily_headphones1.gif

Ubuntu 9.10 and Rhythmbox. I love it

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 39
I use a laptop with Ubuntu 9.10 as a source and sound quality is good, i've verified it to be bitperfect by pulgging the optical out ( via a behringer uca-202) to my TerratecDMX soundcard, output was 44.1Khz, no resampling to 48, unless fed 24/96 files, which get resampled to 48Khz, but that's a limitation of the devices i use, not of the OS.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 39
Thanks guys. I believe I am currently using alsa for audio playback. I switch between Win7 and linux (in Win7 at the moment) based on the mood I'm in. I was always weary that the payback might not be bit-perfect in Linux, but it seems to be a consensus here that it is. I may be using Linux a bit more soon here, because I want to take up some c++ Linux development in my free time. I'm a Java developer by trade, but want something else fun to do at home besides just listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. I believe I am currently using alsa for audio playback. I switch between Win7 and linux (in Win7 at the moment) based on the mood I'm in. I was always weary that the payback might not be bit-perfect in Linux, but it seems to be a consensus here that it is. I may be using Linux a bit more soon here, because I want to take up some c++ Linux development in my free time. I'm a Java developer by trade, but want something else fun to do at home besides just listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Jsplice, Just Say NO to Windows..
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 39
I use linux, but have been having issues playing 24 bit flac files in Amarok. I get static in one ear and slow playback in the other. I tried this using ubuntu and kubuntu with every audio codec I could find installed.

They play fine with rhythm box though. This is unfortunate because I like Amarok a lot.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use linux, but have been having issues playing 24 bit flac files in Amarok. I get static in one ear and slow playback in the other. I tried this using ubuntu and kubuntu with every audio codec I could find installed.

They play fine with rhythm box though. This is unfortunate because I like Amarok a lot.

Hmmm..I wonder if this bug has been reported in their bug tracker system for Amarok. I'd love to try and tackle that bug myself, but 1) I'm nowhere near good enough with Linux/C++ development yet (I'd like to be) and 2) My only method of output from my computer is USB, which will only do 16/48 with my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back