any life left in those vintage cans?
Dec 27, 2010 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ta4101

New Head-Fier
Just took a trip over to Spain to visit my dad who's a massive audio-file buff I took my Grado sr325i over to try them out with his linn sondek lp12 turntable.
They sounded great and my dad went off to get his cans now strangely enough I'd never even seen him use a set of headphones in my 42 years of sharing my hobby with him.
You see my dad always had an agreement with my mum about times of hi-fi listening and give them there dues they've always stuck to it. With me my Mrs threatened to kick me out if I woke the baby up hence my hobby went down the head-fi route.

Back to my dad he comes in with an old dusty wooden box and out pops a pair of stax electrostatic cans!!!!! I had to roll my tongue back up off the floor.
We fired them up I've got to be honest they need a service a bit of crackle from a lose connection the selector pot on the box was a bit stiff but I could hear the quality and the detail was awesome.

This has had me thinking about what bargains are there to be had out there? I'm not talking just 20-30 year old headphones but those what hi-fi 5 star diamonds from 2001 that cost £400 but now seem to be going on the bay of fleas for a few measly pounds.
Has technology gone so far in the past few years that a cheap pair of modern budget sennheisers would take the all singing and dancing wonder cans of the late 1990's to the cleaners?

What classics have you got and recommend?

I'd love to see some pictures too :wink:

Thanks for looking.

Baden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back