Any lawyers here?
Aug 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no chance that a state in a civilized world will allow that grandpa will be burried in the backward. Public health laws will be another obvious obstacle.

Amicalement

Why would it be a problem for a human to get buried but not a dog?

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I help buried a great aunt in another relative's back yard a few years ago. It was no big deal.

WOW....an Elbonian!!!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Come on, you know perfectly that it's probably almost a criminal offense in the entire Western World.

Amicalement,

PS
This, of course, is generally excluding the creamated body.

Aug 6, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breakdown /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the strict legal aspect there is plenty of regulations on human inhumation that are forbidding this practice. Health laws are generally imposing another level of restrictions based on simples prevention principles.

On ethical grounds there is much to say about the respect we have protect when we deal with the human body. It's not an individual thing to choose ''à la carte'' but a set of collective choices we have to go by.

Amicalement

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

That's hilarious. I hope it was sarcasm.

Aug 6, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. You might want to contact a trusts and estates attorney in your state. The handling of human remains is laid out in state laws and I don't know what state you're in. An estate planning attorney in your state should be able to find an answer.

If being laid out by a lake is legal, you might want to consider the implications. If campers, hikers, fishers, etc. came upon human remains by a lake they are highly likely to call the authorities. Aside from ruining their trip, that will mean an investigation, tests, police work, and so on. Even if everything checks out, it will probably run up a five or six figure tab for the state. Also, the state would probably inter what's left in a cemetery for indigents or something like that.

Burial at sea is an option, but I believe most services only offer it for cremated remains. Legally, it gets interesting, too. In US territorial waters, federal admiralty laws apply, not state laws. Go further out and you'll be in international waters. I have not researched this, but it might be completely legal to transport remains into international waters and set them adrift in a boat. That would make for some interesting legal research.

Also, look into an advance directive and possibly a life insurance trust. If you have family you'd like to care for, it's possible to use a term life insurance policy to fund a trust for them.

Anyhow, I do hope you're well and will be for years to come.

you should publish a law review article on "practice guideline for disposal of human remains in international water".....most interesting....indeed...

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #23 of 29
A most interesting topic.

I've always wanted to be eaten when I died. Haven't decided what I'd like done with my bones though.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the strict legal aspect there is plenty of regulations on human inhumation that are forbidding this practice. Health laws are generally imposing another level of restrictions based on simples prevention principles.

OH so it's illegal cause it's illegal.

Dogs would be a more health issue than humans if you're using that as a reason.

Aug 7, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #25 of 29
I just want to mention that if you want your body to be fed to the wildlife, you should consider that it have to be done as quickly as possible to avoid giving rotten meat to the animals. Also you won't be exposed because it require many chemicals to preserve the body during the ceremony.

In short you have to make sure your body is kept as clean and as fresh as possible to avoid killing the wildlife you try to feed. Doing so in cold weather could be an option (ex: diposing of your body in northern territories were polar bears have more and more trouble finding food because of the global warming)

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

OH so it's illegal cause it's illegal.

Humm.....not very familiar with legal reasoning....
tongue.gif

Quote:

Dogs would be a more health issue than humans if you're using that as a reason.

You are right on this one. The New England Journal of Med is full of articles about humans having contracted dog related health problems....

Hey!! my turn now: would you care to explain us why dogs remains are not the main concern of public health legislations?...
tongue.gif

Amicalement

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolas2305 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to mention that if you want your body to be fed to the wildlife, you should consider that it have to be done as quickly as possible to avoid giving rotten meat to the animals. Also you won't be exposed because it require many chemicals to preserve the body during the ceremony.

In short you have to make sure your body is kept as clean and as fresh as possible to avoid killing the wildlife you try to feed. Doing so in cold weather could be an option (ex: diposing of your body in northern territories were polar bears have more and more trouble finding food because of the global warming)

Well, there won't really be a ceremony or funeral with the body present.

I'm actually thinking being buried at sea would be the best way to go.

Aug 7, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Also make sure youre not on any medication that would harm the wildlife .

Aug 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I just want to mention that if you want your body to be fed to the wildlife, you should consider that it have to be done as quickly as possible to avoid giving rotten meat to the animals.

The poster didn't say fed to wildlife, just eaten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back