Sep 8, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Feedback is nice
tongue.gif

Too nice
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #33 of 86
Umm, nothing much I can add to the replies people have already given unless you are willing to switch genres to fusion albums.

I dont know if this would gear to your taste, but Prasanna is an Indian guitar virtuoso. You could listen to samples from his Electric Ganeshaland album here. I am awaiting this album to get shipped to me. I do have another album from him called Be the Change, a brilliant jazz fusion kind of album and his guitar playing has quite made me a fan. Edit: Samples from this album can be found here.

PS: Hehe, my posts could not be any drier.

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #34 of 86
Allan Holdsworth

Ive heard most of the aforementioned players, and Holdsworth is on a whole different plateau of playing.
His playing and tone sound almost like a woodwind instrument.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ldsworth&hl=en

Some other good ones:
frank gambale
marty friedman (megadeth)
andy timmons

Of course you always have your ever popular run of the mill wankers, petrucci, vai, satriani, etc...
And apparently everyone who plays instrumental guitar can label themselves as "fusion", no matter how inappropriate a term it is.

Sep 9, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #35 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
Allan Holdsworth

Ive heard most of the aforementioned players, and Holdsworth is on a whole different plateau of playing.
His playing and tone sound almost like a woodwind instrument.

Some other good ones:
frank gambale
marty friedman (megadeth)
andy timmons

Of course you always have your ever popular run of the mill wankers, petrucci, vai, satriani, etc...

Different strokes for different folks, personally, I find the music made by those "run of the mill wankers" to be much more pleasant and enjoyable to listen to than those videos. They're just completely different styles of playing, and I consider those wankers some of the best musicians of our time. IMHO.

That being said, I'm sure I'd like Allan Holdsworth more if I heard some better quality recordinds than the onew on Google movies. Plus his guitar is pretty cool, not many people play headless guitars
cool.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #36 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
I can't belive someone beat me to Maggot Brain and Jack Johnson!
tongue.gif

Don't pass up Maggot Brain just because it's by Funkadelic, Eddie Hazel is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time who's style of playing could be described as "Metal-Funk" or something. The title track is one of the best solos I've ever heard, and the solos on "Super Stoopid" as well as some other songs are some of the best you'll ever hear.

You should also get the Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame, John Mclaughlin's high-octane soloing just rips along, it's incredible.

I agree that "Inner Mounting Flame" and "Maggot Brain" are a couple of fantastic guitar albums - every electric guitar fan should hear these two records. To go back a few more years, you should check out some of the work of Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant. While Country Jazz might not sound like it suits you (it doesn't sound attractive to me either) a minute or two with tunes like "Old Joe Clark", "Stratosphere Boogie" or "China Boy" will make it clear what innovators these two players were.

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #37 of 86
I forgot, for imo the best metal guitarist ever check out anything by Ozzy with Randy Rhoads on it (Blizzard of Ozz, Diary of A Madman, and Tribute). He's incredible.

And for some bluesier stuff get some Stevie Ray Vaughan, start with The Sky Is Crying just for his cover of "Little Wing", it's one of the best solos ever.

Sep 9, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #38 of 86
And with Marty Friedman above, check out Cacophony which was a band formed by Marty and Jason Becker (DLR's guitarist). Speed Metal Symphony is a crazy 9:32 of pure guitar work. It's a really nice song.

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 86
To add to the acoustic stuff I'll mention Jesse Cook

I'll second: Liquid Tension Experiment and Jeff Healey

...and not that it needs it but you can add me to the list of people recommending Dream Theater.

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #40 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
And apparently everyone who plays instrumental guitar can label themselves as "fusion", no matter how inappropriate a term it is.

Hehe, how many "nondescript instrumental guitar players" do you know who can play Indian Carnatic Raagas and improvise them on a guitar? Probably many, but that still doesn't mean they don't make good compositions.

http://www.guitarprasanna.com/Carnatic/Audio/

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #41 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
Different strokes for different folks, personally, I find the music made by those "run of the mill wankers" to be much more pleasant and enjoyable to listen to than those videos. They're just completely different styles of playing, and I consider those wankers some of the best musicians of our time. IMHO.

That being said, I'm sure I'd like Allan Holdsworth more if I heard some better quality recordinds than the onew on Google movies. Plus his guitar is pretty cool, not many people play headless guitars
cool.gif

Holdsworth doesnt make the type of music you can listen and enjoy within the first 3 seconds of hearing, all good and unique music is like that. Your definition of pleasant music would most likely put me to sleep.

Plus "those wankers" contribute nothing to music, and in 40 years no one will know their names.

Sep 9, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #42 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182
Hehe, how many "nondescript instrumental guitar players" do you know who can play Indian Carnatic Raagas and improvise them on a guitar? Probably many, but that still doesn't mean they don't make good compositions.

http://www.guitarprasanna.com/Carnatic/Audio/

John Mclaughlin (a real fusion guitarist) has been playing nonwestern music for years.
He also played with Miles Davis on some of the very first fusion records (Bitches Brew and Tribute to Jack Johnson).

Many instrumentalist guitarists who try to avoid the "rock cliche", attempt to define themselves as fusion guitarists, not even knowing what fusion is (essentially electric jazz).
The funny part is that if they happen to use a blues scale once in a while, they then call themselves "blues-fusion" or something of that nature.

Sep 10, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #44 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Tom Verlaine of Televsion. Totally unique rock sound.

absolutely. when he goes into his "Imperial Japan" mode in "Marquee Moon," he somehow makes his guitar sound like some kind of evil bluebird. insane. i believe he still gives out guitar lessons near astor place.

Sep 10, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #45 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Tom Verlaine of Televsion. Totally unique rock sound.

Good one. I totally forgot about Verlaine and Televison. Need to dig it up . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back