Any insane mind bending guitar solos?
Sep 7, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #17 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
You are right. I also believe that his playing has gotten much more sloppy over the years. I can really hear the differences between Live and Loud and Live at Budokan. He really needs to lay off the beer.

Dream Theater was what I thought reading the thread title, but you already said that.
wink.gif

Haha, I was confused there for a second when you said Live at Budokan. The only "Live at Budokan" that I've seen was DT, I hadn't realized that there was one with Ozzy. That makes so much more sense now
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #18 of 86
also one might want to check out

Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, Paco De Lucia - Friday Night in San Francisco for some serious acoustic guitar shredding / solo work
tongue.gif

and

Diana Krall - Live in Paris
Diana Krall - Live at the Montreal Jazz Festival

Diana's guitarist Anthony Wilson is ace, pulls off some crazy solos on the tracks Devil May Care (on both live performances) and on the Montreal Jazz Festival, tracks Temptation, I'm Coming Through, Black Crow, Love Me Like A Man.

Alice in Chains were another band that had some pretty good solos, Jerry Cantrell was certainly a great guitarist, with his own style ... probably best to pick up a Best of (Nothing Safe: Best of the Box or Greatest Hits) if you're only interested in solos, otherwise grab all their albums
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:34 PM Post #19 of 86
He tends to play more traditional bluesy sounding stuff, but Jeff Healy is quite a guitarist ... especially when you consider he's been 100% blind since the age of one. He usually plays sitting with his strat on his lap and fingering the keyboard straight down as opposed to the traditional method. This peculiar, self-taught method seems to allow him to do things other guitarists can't.

There's an excellent 10 year old Ronnie Hawkin's 60th birthday concert DVD out ( The BAND, was originally Ronnie's band before Bob Dylan stole them ) which features Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis along with Healy playing lead guitar. You can literally see the amazement on Perkins' and Lewis' faces whenever Healy lets go.

http://www.jeffhealeyband.com/

Sep 7, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 86
Racer X - Superheroes
Racer X - Live at the Whisky
Yngwie Malmsteen - Live in Leningrad
Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare
Dream Theater - Live at Budokan
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #22 of 86
- Jari's work on his s/t Wintersun
- Alexi's work on Follow the Reaper and Hatecrew Deathroll
- Solo's on Opeth's Ghost Reveries are great. Not mind blowing but notes
are carefully chosen. Romantically great solos. If that makes sense...
- Awesome solos on Broken Hope's Loathing. See the song "Reunited"
especially.
- Dave and Marty's work with Megadeth on Rust In Peace. Awesome stuff.
- Kirk's solo's on Metallica's Ride the Lightning.

Probably forgot some obvious stuff...

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #23 of 86
IM speechless!! You guys rock... theres not much I can contribute to this thread.

to the OP....
Satriani, Live at the warfield, one of my fave DVDs... More groove-rock than prog-metal though.

Sep 8, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #24 of 86
Li and Satriani
smily_headphones1.gif
My favorite 2 guitarists. Li or course is Herman Li of Dragonforce, often called the fastest guitar player in the world and the Joe Satriani who writes some amazing instrumentals.

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #26 of 86
whoo,(wipes forehead and takes a breather), thanks guys, this is turning out to be a behemoth of a list and they all sound real good. Thanks to torrent, im able to test them out all. Muahahaha
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei
Go give Funkadelic's Maggot Brain a shot. The title track is an excellent 10-minute instrumental guitar solo.

I would also say that the guitar work on The Stooges' second album Fun House is way underrated - they are wild hard rock workouts. Fun House is one of my favorite CDs.

You could also give Miles Davis' fusion rocker A Tribute To Jack Johnson a try. It is fusion jazz that sounds very much like heavy metal. The music has fabulous guitar solos by John McLaughlin and an uncredited Sonny Sharrock - even Miles' trumpet sounds metal. A very good disc.

I can't belive someone beat me to Maggot Brain and Jack Johnson!
tongue.gif

Don't pass up Maggot Brain just because it's by Funkadelic, Eddie Hazel is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time who's style of playing could be described as "Metal-Funk" or something. The title track is one of the best solos I've ever heard, and the solos on "Super Stoopid" as well as some other songs are some of the best you'll ever hear.

You should also get the Mahavishnu Orchestra's The Inner Mounting Flame, John Mclaughlin's high-octane soloing just rips along, it's incredible.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #28 of 86
dinosaur Jr has some great guitar solos. If you want your mind blown to high heaven you might want to check out derek bailey. He's an avant garde guitarist that is still realeasing work today.

Sep 8, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #29 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by aznsensazian
whoo,(wipes forehead and takes a breather), thanks guys, this is turning out to be a behemoth of a list and they all sound real good. Thanks to torrent, im able to test them out all. Muahahaha
smily_headphones1.gif

Feedback is nice
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back