Any insane mind bending guitar solos?
Sep 11, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #61 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
Look at the 80's, an era of tremendous agility on the guitar, but we look back and most of that (metal) music is just not impressive anymore.

Err.... it's not ?
confused.gif

Iron Maiden, Candlemass anyone?
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #62 of 86
He probably means that as far as technical playing goes we have multiple artists nowadays that have surpassed the majority of the 80's players. I personally love quite a bit of the 80's metal/rock, there's an upfront intensity about it that I really like.

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #63 of 86
Indeed so; but he also worded it as if Technical ability was the only thing that matters.

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #64 of 86
Yeah... sorta confusing. I don't believe that technical ability is the most important thing in a solo, but I do appreciate it. I feel that the emotion conveyed is the most important part, and if that is done through speed and aggression, so be it, but slow and thoughtful can be just as impressive to me because it takes a different kind of skill.

Sep 11, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #65 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213
Where I come from we believe in something called "maturity." Due to this, I feel no need to interact with you anymore. I tried, I failed, and now I'm walking away.

Glad I could provide an easy cope out for you.
But maybe next time you wont be so overly sensitive about something silly like music.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #66 of 86
Personally I find a lot of fast technical players overplay, and a lot of their music is pretty much a technical exercise rather than music. I like a player that leaves space, trys to make a good song and melody, can play slowly or simply, if required, and for the whole song, not just the token bit in a technical sprint. I think they should have a distinctive sound, and playing styles.

While I like some current music pop, rock, dance I find a lot of the current metal players leave me cold. Probably because they all sound so similar, as does their music. Whereas the best 80's metal bands/players had a much more distinctive sound and style. Of course most of the current "metal" is a lot heavier than 80's material, and is a narrow genre than it used to be.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #67 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
While I like some current music pop, rock, dance I find a lot of the current metal players leave me cold. Probably because they all sound so similar, as does their music. Whereas the best 80's metal bands/players had a much more distinctive sound and style. Of course most of the current "metal" is a lot heavier than 80's material, and is a narrow genre than it used to be.

Actually it is immensly wider than in the 80's; I think you may just be referring to the more popular or mainstream metal artists (or even "nu-metal" and metalcore), and I can relate there, as most of them are a complete snooze-machine.

Probably not looking hard enough; the best can be found underground.

While most of the metal I listen to might not be reknowned for blazing guitar solos, alot of it is very unique and innovative and forward moving in the terms of where metal is going.

I can think of plenty of bands with their own distinctive sound and style from the 90's onwards.

Atrox
UneXpect
Madder Mortem
Maudlin of the Well
Opeth
Agalloch
Virgin Black
Arcturus
Haggard
Boris
Forgotten Silence
Sigh
The Project Hate MCMXCIX
Ram-Zet
Lumsk
the list goes on
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #68 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Probably not looking hard enough; the best can be found underground

Yes. I "gave up" on metal around the mid-90s, but the passion has been re-ignited with the darkest desire threads!! I have not felt this excited about buying CDs for a very long time and it feels great!!

Sep 11, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #70 of 86
I'll dig out some iconic albums to make it easier for you

Agalloch - The Mantle
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Atrox - Contentum
Atrox - Terrestrials
Atrox - Orgasm
Boris - Akuma No Uta
Boris - Pink (the reason I chose these is they contain blends from all various styles that Boris plays [drone, doom, stoner, psychadelia, punk]
Forgotten Silence - Ka Ba Ach
Haggard - Awaking the Centuries
Lumsk - Troll
Madder Mortem - Desiderata
Maudlin of the Well - Bath
Maudlin of the Well - Leaving Your Body Map
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Damnation
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Ram-Zet - Escape
Ram-Zet - Intra
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Hate, Dominate, Congregate, Eliminate
The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Armageddon March Eternal
To-Mera - Transcendental
Tristania - World of Glass
UneXpect - In A Flesh Aquarium
Virgin Black - Sombre Romantic
Virgin Black - Elegant and Dying

You will find plenty of beards, dark thoughts and deep black among some of the artists (it's what else they contain that might surprise you); if you are looking towards the lighter side of metal and want something different then I could throw a few albums out of my collection that might fit that bill as well; but you would be best asking someone who specializes in Prog & Power Metal.

Lumsk - Troll
Aghora - Aghora
Therion - Secret of the Runes, Lemuria, Sirius B
Edenbridge - The Grand Design
Chalice - Augmented
To-Mera - Transcendental
Opeth - Damnation
Moonlight - Yaishi
Naamah - Resensement
Nightwish - Oceanborn
The Provenance - Still At Arms Length

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #71 of 86
Checked out a few of them, and I'm sorry to day nothing there floats my boat so far. Death/Black metal just do it for me. Speed Metal ala early Helloween, early Metallica, megadeth is about as far down that route as I seem to like. While I like Loudness I don't like their new stuff. Which is more down the lines of that Death metal sound. Was never much into Thrash Metal and that modern Metal is very much that Genre.

Sep 11, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #72 of 86
I dislike Thrash Metal myself.

I see what you're saying, 70s-80s Metal seemed to use alot more treble-switch notes/riffs than modern day material, there's not much out today that sounds like 70s-80s metal but IMO there is far more diversity. Today's metal tends to use alot more distortion as well.

However I still humbly disagree with your previous statement, as I believe today's metal is far more diverse. Distinctive? Yes and No, because there is just that much metal out there now, it's near impossible to sound completely unique, and even those that manage to do so, people will say (they sound like this band, mixed with this band, mixed with this band, mixed with this band).

Today's Metal is heavier and lighter than 80's metal, I suggest checking out the Power and Neoclassical Progressive Metal genres, which I am not too much of a fan of (bar a few artists)

Not everything I listed was Black/Death, only some of it. I'll automatically assume you don't like Doom as well.

Everything in the long list is fairly "heavy" in one way or another, sparing the first two Atrox albums perhaps, however if you're a fan of classic metal you're probably not going to be interested in female vocal avantegarde metal either.

at least give Opeth - Damnation a shot, if you don't like that, can't help you
tongue.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #73 of 86
Does Doom? Answer your question?

I find I'm generally going back to the 80's and 70's and even earlier finding stuff I missed or don't have on CD, because I'm not finding what I like today.

Sep 11, 2006 at 1:24 PM Post #74 of 86
Nothing wrong with that of course, I was just offering a few recommendations.

Doom Metal is what I meant; there's some pretty good 80's Doom such as Candlemass, Cathedral, Witchfinder General (and the first Black Sabbath CD).

Sep 11, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #75 of 86
I know those band from back in the day, and no that not my bag at all. Sabbath I like but would prefer Ozzy's Solo stuff. At least the stuff before Zakk. I like some of Zakk stuff but overall, I prefer the earlier Ozzy material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back