Any impressions on new Sensaphonics 2X-S with updated HF driver?
May 14, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I really don't like the sound of the new Sensaphonics 2X-S. Although they have a more pronounced high, but to me the high quality sounds harsh(many sibilance) and low quality.
frown.gif
It lost the smoothness trademark that I used to crave about in Sensaphonics.
Last month, I went to Singapore, and there is a store called Jaben who has a universal version of Sensaphonics 2X-S. I listened to them and it made me miss the old Sensaphonics sound signature. It's really pitty, I don't think any company should change a sound signature of their existing product. Instead, they should release a new modified version such as Super.Fi and etymotic which came with Binaural version or any other versions.

Since you are in Chicago, I would suggest you go and pay a visit. They have a universal version for you to try and test out. You are very lucky, I wish I could do the same. The universal version still sounded superbly wonderful to my ears compared to my existing 2X-S.
frown.gif

for your information, I never liked my E500 either. To me it's still inferior in comparison to Sensaphonics 2X-S. I found E500 midrange was sharp and harsh to my ears, and the high was rolled off which making the music sounded boring in comparison to the Triple.Fi(has a beautiful high)

At the moment I'm still debating whether I should order UE10-Pro since I like Triple.Fi a lot.

Thank you for your comments. I wonder, how they can let the potential customers try a universal version with the old drivers and then take orders for the new one with a different sound signature... Considering that there is no return policy and you cannot sell the custom products, this is really a bad way of doing business. When I go there, I will certainly ask, if the universal version to try has the new driver or the old one...

I like my E500s... Well to some extent. To my ears, they are very good in producing lows and mid range, but I agree with the rolled-off highs. I would really like to get an IEM with better highs without loosing the midrange and the lows that I like.

If you are considering to order a UE10 pro, you may as well wait a bit more, since UE will produce another custom product, which will be their new flagship with a higher price tag than UE10s though
frown.gif
But it may be worth the wait. However, noone knows yet when they will release this new IEM...

May 14, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 37
My ACS T2 review is in my sig. Click on link to view.

I'm pretty sure the 2X-S and T2 use different drivers. I'm under the impression that they're not that closely related, although I do have evidence that ACS are going to offer Sensaphonics models, but rebranded or slightly modified under their own brand name. I can't reveal too much... ACS will have some pretty darn exciting new products if all goes according to plan.
biggrin.gif

The E500 is no match for the ACS T2, so I speculate the 2X-S will sound much better than the E500 too.

May 14, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My ACS T2 review is in my sig. Click on link to view.

I'm pretty sure the 2X-S and T2 use different drivers. I'm under the impression that they're not that closely related, although I do have evidence that ACS are going to offer Sensaphonics models, but rebranded or slightly modified under their own brand name. I can't reveal too much... ACS will have some pretty darn exciting new products if all goes according to plan.
biggrin.gif

The E500 is no match for the ACS T2, so I speculate the 2X-S will sound much better than the E500 too.

Well, I have already read your review
icon10.gif
I am not interested in ACS (since it is not in US, I do not want to keep sending the molds back and forth to UK, if there is some fit issue) and I knew ACS T2 was different than 2X-S. But I enjoyed reading your review and the pics were great as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #19 of 37
I've heard rumours that the ACS T2 uses the ER4 driver for the HF, but I can't find any solid literature to support that claim.

Feedback from 2X-S users who had theirs' remade into the updated version is generally positive. It'll take a bit of effort, but if you search hard enough, you'll be able to find those impressions. This is honestly my first time reading about someone unhappy about the newer 2X-S.

May 15, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

I've heard rumours that the ACS T2 uses the ER4 driver for the HF, but I can't find any solid literature to support that claim.

Feedback from 2X-S users who had theirs' remade into the updated version is generally positive. It'll take a bit of effort, but if you search hard enough, you'll be able to find those impressions. This is honestly my first time reading about someone unhappy about the newer 2X-S.

Hi Milkpowder,

There are couple of people who sent in 2X-S for a repair half a year ago and came back with their 2X-S sound signature changed. The most obvious difference between the old 2X-S than the new one is Sibilance. The old 2X-S was super smooth, very high quality bass with no sibilance. The new 2X-S has sibilance, lacking slightly a touch of bass, harsh high.

Personally, I emailed them for inquires about this matter but they never really replied back to me at all. At least I wanted to know whether I got a defective one or whether I should send back my 2X-S. Then more people started posting about their 2X-S sound signature different after receiving their repaired 2X-S. Sibilance/bass is the main difference. It sounded airier and the high was very extended. but I don't really like the high in the new 2X-S especially if sibilance is introduced.

I haven't heard anything about the new upcoming upgrade for UE-10 Pro? nor The new ACS custom drivers? What are the main difference? Is this a reliable info? Honestly, I live very far away from The US, but I have a trip to LA this July, so I thought I would pass by UE base camp to get UE-10 Pro while I'm there.

Sensaphonics are never really good with customer service nor serving international customers. I think their business policy is revolved more around artists, but not headfier's. That's why they lost popularity contest in headfi. You would see more reply if you write threads about ACS, ES2, UE-10 Pro, but not Sensaphonics. There is no doubt ACS service and quality for their product,top notch, much better than Sensaphonics. I received my ER-20 from them and it has a more accurate mould, and also very comfortable.

Many people also experienced fit problems with sensaphonics for their first try, including myself. Twice orders, twice fit problems. With ES2, it was just perfect at the first round.

May 15, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Believe me I searched, but only a few people said that the sound signature changed because of the new HF driver, since probably only those people knew what the old sound signature was. If there are members who purchased the new 2x-s recently, they did not post their impressions. I have only read a few comments provided by Head-fiers who sent their 2x-s for repair or so. And they did not compare it to other headphones or IEMs. As you can see, I am still waiting for some comments and did some research...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #22 of 37
The 2X-S aren't exactly the "hottest or newest kid on the block". The custom IEM FOTM seasonal phase has sorta passed. It was only a few months ago (Jan, Feb, March) when everyone was talking about the ES2, UE10Pro, etc...

May 15, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

The 2X-S aren't exactly the "hottest or newest kid on the block". The custom IEM FOTM seasonal phase has sorta passed. It was only a few months ago (Jan, Feb, March) when everyone was talking about the ES2, UE10Pro, etc...

Well, the update to the product has been realized in last October or November, if I am not mistaken on the date of a few comments I read about it. There is no mentioning in the Sensaphonics web page and there is no detailed info anywhere else. I know that they are not the newest kind, but with the update they are sort of new. I really did not understand what you meant by this. Am I too late for asking questions? Should I have asked about this in the first quarter of the year?
smily_headphones1.gif
UE10 pros , which you used as a an example, are not new either.

May 15, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Well to me, UE-10 Pro and Sensaphonics were the hottest topic around 2-3 years ago. By the way, I would still go for custom no matter what. Not because of the sound quality but due to the excellent isolation and comfort alone. I use them a lot at the gym and on the plane. Comfort and isolation are just excellent. Triple.Fi couldn't even come close.

May 15, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

I haven't heard anything about the new upcoming upgrade for UE-10 Pro? nor The new ACS custom drivers? What are the main difference? Is this a reliable info? Honestly, I live very far away from The US, but I have a trip to LA this July, so I thought I would pass by UE base camp to get UE-10 Pro while I'm there.

Many people also experienced fit problems with sensaphonics for their first try, including myself. Twice orders, twice fit problems. With ES2, it was just perfect at the first round.

I missed this part of your message. The info about the new product from UE is reliable, well, at least it seems so. I personally sent an email to ask a few questions about UE10 pros and the speculation I read about this new product. The reply confirmed that a new flagship IEM will be in production soon. How soon, this is not determined yet. In the last meeting, people also got some info regarding this product. There are a couple threads mentioning this. So, it seems and sounds real. I guess it would be better, if you ask about this when you visit UE...

I do not think about fit issues of 2x-s, since I am a local. My main concern is the sound quality... The old Sensas were compared to UE10 pros and some people preferred one, some the other, as far as I read. So it was a very nice IEM indeed. How about now? I am trying to find the answer to this question, if milkpowder does not mind
biggrin.gif

just kidding milkpowder, just kidding...
evil_smiley.gif

May 15, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #26 of 37
ah ok ok, that's great then artears, I think I would ask them once I'm in LA this July.
smily_headphones1.gif

Once again, I have to say that you are very lucky to be in Chicago, you definitely don't have to worry about fittings. Please let us know about the new HF driver of Sensaphonics 2X-S. I'm really curious to know whether it is intentional or mine drivers are simply defective.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should be down in Chicago also for an exhibition the end of July.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I missed this part of your message. The info about the new product from UE is reliable, well, at least it seems so. I personally sent an email to ask a few questions about UE10 pros and the speculation I read about this new product. The reply confirmed that a new flagship IEM will be in production soon. How soon, this is not determined yet. In the last meeting, people also got some info regarding this product. There are a couple threads mentioning this. So, it seems and sounds real. I guess it would be better, if you ask about this when you visit UE...

I do not think about fit issues of 2x-s, since I am a local. My main concern is the sound quality... The old Sensas were compared to UE10 pros and some people preferred one, some the other, as far as I read. So it was a very nice IEM indeed. How about now? I am trying to find the answer to this question, if milkpowder does not mind
biggrin.gif

just kidding milkpowder, just kidding...
evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Hi Milkpowder,

Sensaphonics are never really good with customer service nor serving international customers. I think their business policy is revolved more around artists, but not headfier's. That's why they lost popularity contest in headfi. You would see more reply if you write threads about ACS, ES2, UE-10 Pro, but not Sensaphonics. There is no doubt ACS service and quality for their product,top notch, much better than Sensaphonics. I received my ER-20 from them and it has a more accurate mould, and also very comfortable.

I don't agree with this. When I approached Sensa, they found me an audiologist in Helsinki. It's true that it was a bit of luck because they already met him at a conference, but to say that they put me off would be untrue. I'd say it's more true that they're not really aware of how teh internets work. And I also would agree that they do gear more towards the professional market.

As for your second point, you don't think that the audiologist actually taking the impression doesn't have... oh, a tinsy tiny bit to do with how well your IEMS fit?? That's the single most important step. If that's wrong, how can Sensa or UE or whomever make it right? There are different compounds used, some expand or contract once outside the ear, it's up to your audilogist to know a good impression from a bad one, to choose the right compound, and to notify Sensa which compound was used. If you don't see them do that, what you get in return will well and truly be a crap shoot.

And how that can be blamed on UE or Sensa or whichever company is beyond me.

May 16, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #28 of 37
Has anyone confirmed with someone from Sensaphonics that they are using a new HF driver? I first got my Sensas in April of 2005. I got them replaced a few months later when the cable turned green, which they covered under my 1 year warranty. At the start of this year, my right earphone started cutting in and out and I sent them in for repair. At the time, they were also recabled with the new cables they started using late last year.

Through all this, I never noticed any significant change in sound quality. Any change I did initially notice usually related to what phones I had been listening to when the Sensas were out of my possession, and I attributed it to becoming re-acclimated to their sound.

May 18, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone confirmed with someone from Sensaphonics that they are using a new HF driver? ..

I will do that, will go there personally, try their universal version and ask all the questions I have in mind... but I could not find time so far... I will post the answers they give here...

May 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

I should be down in Chicago also for an exhibition the end of July.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I will be in Chicago then -I will be taking my yearly vacation around that time, so I might not be in town- maybe we can meet...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back