Any impressions on new Sensaphonics 2X-S with updated HF driver?
May 4, 2007 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

artears

100+ Head-Fier
I could not find enough information on the sound signature of new Sensaphonics Prophonic 2x-s, which I might be interested in getting. The old sound is claimed to be similar to Sennheiser HD600s, however there is little info about the updated product. I also wonder if the Sensaphonics is using the same HF driver as the ACS t2. Then, ACS reviews might be helpful as well. I know there are some members, who sent their 2x-s to repair and got the updated one back. I would be very much interested in a comparison with Shure E500s and/or Senn HD6x0s. Is the new product in a class above E500s? Or are they offering just a different taste? I somehow find my E500s close to my Sennheisers and I like them, but sometimes, depending on the type of music I listen to, I find the highs of E500s not that impressive. However, I am very pleased with the lows and midrange of E500s. Is the new 2x-s giving emphasis on highs, while lacking something something on the lows? I do not want to loose the mids and the lows of E500, but I want some magic with the highs. Can the new 2x-s be a solution for this?

Well, maybe I should wait for the new UE product, but it will be more expensive than Ue-10pro, so we are looking at a price difference of around $500 between 2x-s and this new one... That is a lot actually. BTW, I think that I might have liked the sound of old Sensas more than the sound of Ue-10pros. This is why I am not considering Ue-10pro right now (and if the new 2x-s is not my cup of tea, I rather wait for the new UE product and hope I can save enough
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
). Living in Chicago is also another plus for Sensas. I think the main question to the owners of the new 2x-s is: Do you think that it will be worth getting after E500s?

May 5, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 37
No answers so far?
frown.gif

May 5, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 37
Sensa should have a universal pair for you to try out, especially if you're in the same city anyway. I think my "1st gen" sensas are better than hd600's (not that those are bad!), more detailed for a start, but the new version? I'd just be guessing.

I'm not sure if ACS is still related to Sensa at all anymore. In fact, I think they were the first to update the line. Again, it's just guessing, it would be better to get that information from them. ACS is on my list though, should my Sensas bite the dust.

May 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 37
I better go and try the universal version of 2x-s then, but I am not sure it will be as good as the custom one. I have a feeling that I can see how the highs are in that case but can't be sure of the lows. I would love to see a few comments on the sound signature of the new 2x-s from the members comparing it with the old version and other headphones. Still waiting...
frown.gif

ACS's marketing of T2 says that it has an updated HF driver. Cable also seems different from the old 2x-s. However, current version of 2x-s has a different cable and another HF driver as well, which made me believe that they became similar again. I need people comment on that too, since I am just guessing here.

Did you have any durability issues with your Sensas? This seems to be a common complaint among some Sensa owners.

May 6, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 37
Bump... Maybe someone with a new 2x-s will see this.

May 7, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone auditioned the universal Sensaphonics?

I think I will do that, noone is replying to this thread
frown.gif

BTW, this will again be a bump
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 37
Mine should arrive this week, however I am not a known reviewer on Head Fi so I will simply give you my opinion on them without having heard their 1st Generation drivers. I can tell you I heard these (with a universal tip) in Chicago a few weeks back and was amazed at their transparency.

May 7, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beebebop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

I'll be getting my new pair of 2X-S hopefully by the end of this month. So watch this space, as I'll chime in later with my impressions.
etysmile.gif

Beebebop,
Beijing.

I realized that this was your first post, so: Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

I always wanted to say that. You already made a big purchase, you are really quick.
biggrin.gif
I will be looking forward to reading your impressions.

May 7, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine should arrive this week, however I am not a known reviewer on Head Fi so I will simply give you my opinion on them without having heard their 1st Generation drivers. I can tell you I heard these (with a universal tip) in Chicago a few weeks back and was amazed at their transparency.

I will be here waiting for your comments
smily_headphones1.gif
. A comparison with some other headphones you tried or have is very welcome... I will really appreciate that.

May 8, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 37
I've tried the universal sensas for auditioning purposes. The sound and transparency is amazing. However, mid-bass is bloated and muddy, somewhat drowning the other frequencies. I've talked to a friend who owns a custom pair and tried both and he says the customs does not have the bloat and extension is a lot better on both ends.

May 14, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The week is over...
wink.gif
So how are your impressions?
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried the universal sensas for auditioning purposes. The sound and transparency is amazing. However, mid-bass is bloated and muddy, somewhat drowning the other frequencies. I've talked to a friend who owns a custom pair and tried both and he says the customs does not have the bloat and extension is a lot better on both ends.

I think I better audition the universal pair myself... Couldn't find the time... Yet...

May 14, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could not find enough information on the sound signature of new Sensaphonics Prophonic 2x-s, which I might be interested in getting. The old sound is claimed to be similar to Sennheiser HD600s, however there is little info about the updated product. I also wonder if the Sensaphonics is using the same HF driver as the ACS t2. Then, ACS reviews might be helpful as well. I know there are some members, who sent their 2x-s to repair and got the updated one back. I would be very much interested in a comparison with Shure E500s and/or Senn HD6x0s. Is the new product in a class above E500s? Or are they offering just a different taste? I somehow find my E500s close to my Sennheisers and I like them, but sometimes, depending on the type of music I listen to, I find the highs of E500s not that impressive. However, I am very pleased with the lows and midrange of E500s. Is the new 2x-s giving emphasis on highs, while lacking something something on the lows? I do not want to loose the mids and the lows of E500, but I want some magic with the highs. Can the new 2x-s be a solution for this?

Well, maybe I should wait for the new UE product, but it will be more expensive than Ue-10pro, so we are looking at a price difference of around $500 between 2x-s and this new one... That is a lot actually. BTW, I think that I might have liked the sound of old Sensas more than the sound of Ue-10pros. This is why I am not considering Ue-10pro right now (and if the new 2x-s is not my cup of tea, I rather wait for the new UE product and hope I can save enough
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
). Living in Chicago is also another plus for Sensas. I think the main question to the owners of the new 2x-s is: Do you think that it will be worth getting after E500s?

Ok I really don't like the sound of the new Sensaphonics 2X-S. Although they have a more pronounced high, but to me the high quality sounds harsh(many sibilance) and low quality.
frown.gif
It lost the smoothness trademark that I used to crave about in Sensaphonics.
Last month, I went to Singapore, and there is a store called Jaben who has a universal version of Sensaphonics 2X-S. I listened to them and it made me miss the old Sensaphonics sound signature. It's really pitty, I don't think any company should change a sound signature of their existing product. Instead, they should release a new modified version such as Super.Fi and etymotic which came with Binaural version or any other versions.

Since you are in Chicago, I would suggest you go and pay a visit. They have a universal version for you to try and test out. You are very lucky, I wish I could do the same. The universal version still sounded superbly wonderful to my ears compared to my existing 2X-S.
frown.gif

for your information, I never liked my E500 either. To me it's still inferior in comparison to Sensaphonics 2X-S. I found E500 midrange was sharp and harsh to my ears, and the high was rolled off which making the music sounded boring in comparison to the Triple.Fi(has a beautiful high)

At the moment I'm still debating whether I should order UE10-Pro since I like Triple.Fi a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back