Any impressions on new Sensaphonics 2X-S with updated HF driver?
May 18, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone confirmed with someone from Sensaphonics that they are using a new HF driver? I first got my Sensas in April of 2005. I got them replaced a few months later when the cable turned green, which they covered under my 1 year warranty. At the start of this year, my right earphone started cutting in and out and I sent them in for repair. At the time, they were also recabled with the new cables they started using late last year.

Through all this, I never noticed any significant change in sound quality. Any change I did initially notice usually related to what phones I had been listening to when the Sensas were out of my possession, and I attributed it to becoming re-acclimated to their sound.

Mine was replaced on November 1st, 2006 and I noticed significant change in sound signature

May 18, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't agree with this. When I approached Sensa, they found me an audiologist in Helsinki. It's true that it was a bit of luck because they already met him at a conference, but to say that they put me off would be untrue. I'd say it's more true that they're not really aware of how teh internets work. And I also would agree that they do gear more towards the professional market.

As for your second point, you don't think that the audiologist actually taking the impression doesn't have... oh, a tinsy tiny bit to do with how well your IEMS fit?? That's the single most important step. If that's wrong, how can Sensa or UE or whomever make it right? There are different compounds used, some expand or contract once outside the ear, it's up to your audilogist to know a good impression from a bad one, to choose the right compound, and to notify Sensa which compound was used. If you don't see them do that, what you get in return will well and truly be a crap shoot.

And how that can be blamed on UE or Sensa or whichever company is beyond me.

sensaphonicsproblem.jpg

I guess this picture explains all.
You could notice that my IEM didn't have the same shape as my impression! That's the first most imporant QC that I would do. If the impression and the IEM have similar shapes then I could understand perhaps my audiologist was the one to blame.

Secondly, I also ordered custom sleeves for E500 from Sensaphonics and it didn't fit well either.

I did order IEMs from other manufacturers as well such as ES2 and ACS(ER-20). Their fits were perfect right the first time. The shapes were almost identical between the impressions and the IEMs.

I'm scheduled to be in Ultimate Ears sometime in July, so if my UE-10 Pro turns out to be perfect right the first shot? I'm entitled to politely say that I had bad lucks with Sensaphonics, 3 orders = 3 bad fittings. Not to mention the changes in sound signature.

I did email sensaphonics about their sound signature difference that I experienced but I never recevied a reply from them.

May 24, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #33 of 37
Hi folks,

The 2X-S finally arrived, direct from Japan in a little parcel yesterday afternoon!
tongue.gif

The Package

As soon as I opened the package, a neat little transparent waterproof Pelican Case greeted me. The case even had a label carrying my name and serial number of the 2X-S affixed upon. The 2X-S proper was housed in yet another translucent blue mini plastic pouch within the Pelican hardcase, and was accompanied by a concise Instruction Manual, a two-inch long IEM-cleaning Tool and a mini-to-quarter inch stereo adapter.

The Fit

I shared some concerns over the snugness of fit prior to receiving the 2X-S, simply from reading about several customers who had to return their IEMs and attempt a second or third remold. Thank God I was spared of this reiterative hassle and my 2X-S earpieces fit like a glove. It took me about 3 attempts to finally get the hang of inserting the IEMs properly, which were comfortable yet snug.

The Sound

The 2X-S sounded good straight out of the box. I am currently continuously burning them in for a couple of days, and hopefully will hear an improvement by the weekend. There is a richness in the lower mids to bass registers even at low volumes, and the upper frequencies sound natural to my ears. Some of my favourite pieces of music sounded refreshingly 'new' in that sonic nuances which I had to focus my ears to pick out in the past were easier to identify in the recordings. These pieces of music included Keith Jarrett's "Still Live" double album(ECM, 1988), Donald Fagen's "Morph The Cat" (Reprise, 2006), Pat Metheny Group's "The Way Up" (Nonesuch 2005).

Overall Impressions
The biggest feature for me as far as the 2X-S is concerned is the benefit of significant ambient sound isolation as a result of the custom ear molds. Add on its sonic accuracy to that and it just makes sense to me to invest in a piece of audio kit which allows me to reduce my listening levels and consequently preserve my hearing both on stage and at home.

I'll just wrap up this post with an excerpt of an email to Mr. Wilson Yong of Jaben Network in Singapore, where I purchased the 2X-S from...
icon10.gif

=================================
Dear Uncle Wilson,

The goods have arrived. Thank you very much indeed.

As far as the fit is concerned, it is perfect. Please convey my kudos to David for the watertight impressions he made of my lobes, as it was akin to a one-shot-one-kill attempt by a sniper. The swirly blue thing is a trip to look at, even whilst sober. Right now I've just started to pump my music collection into them continuously and plan to do so for a couple of days to run them in. It already sounds good brand new, and hopefully it'll sound even better by the end of the weekend.

One remaining persistent problem I have relates to how I'm gonna explain my materialistic indulgence to my wife. But, I think I've got a get-out-of-jail card in the 'wonderful' discount which a certain hedonistic globe-trotting gentleman offered me the other day.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Heartfelt thanks again, and keep enjoying what you do.

Kind regards,
Billy.
=================================

May 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 37
I do not know much about it, but it is always claimed that balanced armature drivers (as the ones in 2X-S) do not require burn-in. Your brain needs some adjustment to the new sound.... So you can start enjoying them immediately. At least this is basically what people claim about the high-end IEMs using balanced armature drivers. Having said that, the headphone cables can benefit from burn-in... Which means that any improvement you will hear will be mostly coming from your brain and maybe some cable burn-in... I do not know if this perceived or real improvement will be subtle though.

Thank you for your review. You compared it to some headphone and arrived at the conclusion that they did not reveal as much detail as 2X-S. Which headphone is it, if I may ask? Can you compare them to some universal IEMs (maybe E500s)? HD6x0s? I would like to know how the highs sound in comparison to the highs of the above headphones. Any info regarding this will be very well appreciated.

May 24, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by artears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IYou compared it to some headphone and arrived at the conclusion that they did not reveal as much detail as 2X-S. Which headphone is it, if I may ask? Can you compare them to some universal IEMs (maybe E500s)? HD6x0s? I would like to know how the highs sound in comparison to the highs of the above headphones. Any info regarding this will be very well appreciated.

Hi ArtEars,

Many thanks for the advice on the burn-in issue regarding balanced armature drivers. I didn't realise that, but it kinda explained why my first impression of the 2X-S' sound was that it sounded good straight out of the box.

I was comparing the 2X-S to a pretty old Sony IEM I had, of which the model number eludes me. Also, when compared to the Bose QC2 headphones (which I frequently use for its noise-cancelling feature), it became immediately apparent how much colouration the QC2 had on the low end, whereas bass instruments, lower toms and the kickdrum are presented in rich timbres, albeit much more naturally, through the 2X-S.

I really can't pin-point anything wrong with the highs on the 2X-S. There is nothing obtuse about horn sections presenting themselves through these IEMs, nor does the shimmer of Keith Jarrett's concert grand sound out of place or skewed to my ears, as far as any mid-to-high-frequency colouration is concerned. Viz a viz, from the EQ perspective, the upper frequencies sound pretty much where they should be on the different recordings and artistes. I think I'm happy with the investment so far.
etysmile.gif

Kind regards,
Billy,
Beijing.

May 26, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #36 of 37
Hi Beebebop,

Could you please compare again with Jaben's 2X-S Universal set? Last month I went to Jaben to compare the sound signature of my 2X-S with the universal version. I found that the one at Jaben sounding more like the original 2X-S. My 2X-S sounded less smooth and very harsh with sibillance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beebebop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi ArtEars,

Many thanks for the advice on the burn-in issue regarding balanced armature drivers. I didn't realise that, but it kinda explained why my first impression of the 2X-S' sound was that it sounded good straight out of the box.

I was comparing the 2X-S to a pretty old Sony IEM I had, of which the model number eludes me. Also, when compared to the Bose QC2 headphones (which I frequently use for its noise-cancelling feature), it became immediately apparent how much colouration the QC2 had on the low end, whereas bass instruments, lower toms and the kickdrum are presented in rich timbres, albeit much more naturally, through the 2X-S.

I really can't pin-point anything wrong with the highs on the 2X-S. There is nothing obtuse about horn sections presenting themselves through these IEMs, nor does the shimmer of Keith Jarrett's concert grand sound out of place or skewed to my ears, as far as any mid-to-high-frequency colouration is concerned. Viz a viz, from the EQ perspective, the upper frequencies sound pretty much where they should be on the different recordings and artistes. I think I'm happy with the investment so far.
etysmile.gif

Kind regards,
Billy,
Beijing.

May 26, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #37 of 37
Hi Jlingo,

I would compare my 2X-S with Jaben's universal set if I could. Only trouble is, I live 4500km from Singapore, here in Beijing.
tongue.gif

Like I said in my previous posts, I am very happy with my purchase, particularly so, considering that I basically purchased it 'blind' even without listening to the universal set. I felt that if these were good enough for some of my favourite musicians like Herbie Hanc0ck, Bela Fleck, Pat Metheny and James Taylor, then they are pretty much the top of the range, and worth investing in.

The key thing is that I now have the ability to carefully discern the nuances of the instruments I am playing on or the music I am listening to, at much lower volume levels, which is priceless in my book.

Peace,
Billy.
Beijing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back