Any ideas on preventing hair loss?
Jul 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #16 of 35
Nioxin system 1 cleanser is supposed to help prevent hair loss by removing DHT. Everyone that I know who have tried it have said it works.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 35
shave your head, don't worry.  
wink_face.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 35
Check out http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/ and http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/ these sites have a huge amount of information.

To put it short, if your hair loss is agressive and you want to keep your hair, you should get on big 3 as soon as possible. These are finasteride, minoxidil and ketoconazole shampoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_treatments

If you decide to use them, you might want to save some money and use generic version of fin (5mg) instead of Propecia (1mg). Just get a pill cutter and cut it into quarters, take one everyday. You can get all of these cheaper and without prescription online, but be careful, there are lots of counterfeits around. You should consult your doctor before using any of these, of course.

Some interesting facts about hair loss http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 35
Unfortunately, testosterone is a hormone essential for life.  If only it were so simple :wink:

But populations do exist where a significant number of people have a genetic deficiency for the testosterone dehydrogenase enzyme (same one targeted by finasteride); they don't suffer from acne, lose hair, etc.

Quote:
have a sex change or become a eunuch

its testosterone that kills hair, no testosterone no going bald

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #20 of 35
Hi there CZilla9000

I experienced this when i turned 21, i tried everything and the best i found was Propecia and Lazercomb. Couldn't say if one was carrying the other but it defiantly worked for me. The thing my Dad has a good head of hair (60's) and his dad too. I wasn't receeding at all, just getting really thin all over. It worked and it seems to have sorted itself out and i havn't used any treatments for a few years now. I'm almost 30 and wouldn't be that worried but at 21 i was really worried about it.

I think if its MPB there's not much that can be done, but if its a mixture of high DHT levels, stress, hygiene etc, there is hope

Best of luck

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #21 of 35
I started losing some hair when I was 15!

I went to the doctor and had to get treatments that involved about 5 shots in my scalp and 2 in the back of my neck followed by liquid nitrogen being sprayed on my head and neck. After this I had to use Rogaine everyday for 3 months along with zinc enhanced shampoo as well as zinc tablets. I was also under strict medical orders to relax and have fun.
regular_smile .gif
I actually got a doctors note saying I didn't have to do homework (I did it anyways though).

After about 6 months of treatment, my hair came back and I haven't had any problems since. The doctor said it was a cause of stress even if I didn't feel stressed out.

Ever since I had that problem I have made it a mission of mine to try to relax and be more laid back. Obviously, music helps me a great deal. In fact, it was during that troublesome time when I was 15 that I discovered Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven and a slew of other great music.

Going to hit 29 soon and I have a full head of hair with no hair loss problems!

Jul 3, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Unfortunately, testosterone is a hormone essential for life.  If only it were so simple :wink:

But populations do exist where a significant number of people have a genetic deficiency for the testosterone dehydrogenase enzyme (same one targeted by finasteride); they don't suffer from acne, lose hair, etc.

its totally that simple, lol he never said that didnt have any not so fun side effects

Jul 3, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #23 of 35
Try this. Combine the following ingredients in a bowl:

1. Three eggs
2. Two tablespoons of horseradish
3. Two tablespoons of yellow mustard
4. Three teaspoons of Tabasco sauce
5. Two ounce of vinegar

Mix thoroughly and heat for 30 seconds in a microwave. At this point you can either rub the mixture on your scalp or throw it out. Either way, it won't grow your hair back but it will at least get your mind off of your hair loss.

Stop being so vain and don't worry about how you look. Shave your hair as short as possible if not completely and just enjoy life. No one will care if you were bald once you are dead.  

Jul 3, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #24 of 35
Well, my hair is mostly staying put, but I started finding gray ones at 22. I was a little horrified at first, then more started coming in. I thought about various coloring things, but eventually said 'screw it' and just let it go. I keep it high and tight, so it almost looks more blonde than silver. You can tell up close, but no matter. My hair is turning silver and I'm OK with it.

If I start losing hair, I'll just let it go. Might go to an even shorter cut or possibly shave it. If you think it'll hurt your chances in love, take up a new hobby or interest instead. Learn a new language, get a motorcycle, another degree, whatever. Anything that makes you a more interesting person will dramatically outweigh your hair. Trust me.

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #25 of 35
You have two options:

1. Baldness is bad.  You use Rogain insecurely for the remainder of your days.

2. Baldness is not so bad.  Now choose your style:

Patrick Stewart
Michael Bolton
Mr. Clean
Kerry King
Or, check this guy out; he's receding in the most devastatingly handsome way I can imagine: http://www.thedarkangel.com/catalogue3.php?p=169  Of course, the clothes help.  :)

Need I go on?  The afore-mentioned very desirable men have made baldness part of their look, rather than having it detract from it.  Get over your crumby genetics (which I share, btw), and start living.

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #28 of 35
I can see that from your picture... It's a big'un.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #29 of 35
Heh, nice

If one doesn't want to fight the loss with topicals and medication, there are also transplants. Spend enough jack, and real quality is available. Ask Matthew MaConaughey and Brad Pitt.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
I started losing some hair when I was 15!

I went to the doctor and had to get treatments that involved about 5 shots in my scalp and 2 in the back of my neck followed by liquid nitrogen being sprayed on my head and neck. After this I had to use Rogaine everyday for 3 months along with zinc enhanced shampoo as well as zinc tablets. I was also under strict medical orders to relax and have fun.
regular_smile .gif
I actually got a doctors note saying I didn't have to do homework (I did it anyways though).

After about 6 months of treatment, my hair came back and I haven't had any problems since. The doctor said it was a cause of stress even if I didn't feel stressed out.

Ever since I had that problem I have made it a mission of mine to try to relax and be more laid back. Obviously, music helps me a great deal. In fact, it was during that troublesome time when I was 15 that I discovered Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven and a slew of other great music.

Going to hit 29 soon and I have a full head of hair with no hair loss problems!

That's...a lot of stuff. I'm 15 and losing a good bit of hair in random spots already and have about 20 grey hairs...that doesn't look fun. At that rate, being bald doesn't seem too bad. And I could guilt trip everyone for stressing me out and causing it.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, my parents' friends used Finasteride (Propecia) to keep their hair from receding any more than it did, and it's been working. But on the off chance bald looks good on you, save the money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back