Any Houston Meets?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #76 of 127
I believe these folks carry cans:  http://heightsvinyl.com/?page_id=253

But not Stax.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #78 of 127
Man I do not know of any. The only shop that even carried and kind of cans and gear that I knew of was in clear lake Webster area and it closed a couple of years ago. Anybody have any other info. I would like to attend a meet here in H town!

I have to say that Houston is like any other city for personal audio equipment, although our metro area is really sprawled. All of the mom-and-pop operations around the country always come and go, and the one that was in the Clear Lake/Webster area (Was there a local meet there a few years ago?) was no exception. They did only sell Grado headphones and Sounds Good to Me! at Trader's Village does that, I would like to have more places to hear different brands. Magnolia is starting to branch out by now having some of the Audez'e line (saw the EL-8 open-backed and just-released Sine at BB-Magnolia Woodlands and should be at the BB-Magnolia Katy and Galleria locations), but that still is not enough. Guitar Center always has stuff to demo, though they are usually studio monitors.

Really, local meets are the way to go for listening to more fine-tailored audio set-ups, as the CanJam events are becoming more commercialized. I have no problem with that, though quicker notices about that are preferred. The CanJam events are a great way to hear really good electrostatic setups (the only way to set. them up, IMO), but local meets do offer a more quiet, though not that much more quiet, listening area. I dunno, very few places in the country will let you demo electrostatic setups, like Moon Audio in NC or The Source AV in CA), so that is already tough to find those places in your region.

We definitely need a meet up soon!
Would love to bring my WA22, WDS-1 and HD800S set up!

Anybody wanna let us use their house? LOL

Man, I heard the Abyss through a WA22 and HAP-Z1ES and that thing was absolutely killer! I would like to hear it with the HD800S.

The local meet does not have to be a someone's house. It can be at a hotel meeting room, though it is not as quiet. It can be held a a library meeting area, so that might work better. I am not sure if it costs anything to reserve a meeting room, so I can check...unless someone knows about this more than me. :wink:

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #79 of 127
The Austin meet in January had stats and several planars.

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #80 of 127
The Austin meet in January had stats and several planars.

I meant dealers that let you demo electrostatic setups.

I say that because there are few electrostatic setups that I like. Hearing them in a quiet room helps out a lot. *sigh* The advantage of hearing an electrostatic setup in a hotel room at CanJam...at least Stax was absolutely right on something. :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #81 of 127
I know.  I wasn't absolutely clear.

There were dealers at this January show.  There wasn't just individuals with their gear.

The Stax demo was all about the amps driving them and they weren't Stax amps.  It was relatively quiet in the room.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #82 of 127
I regret not having paid enough attention to see that the Austin meeting was planned.  I would have driven there to take it all in as I have yet to attend a large event.

The reason I asked about a Stax dealer is I have a dilemma.  I have a pair of Stax 007A's.  My second pair as the first had a channel imbalance and were swapped out for a new pair that have played well for several months.  I now have an issue with the either my KGST e-stat amp or the 007A's and I was hoping to plug the relatively new earspeakers into an amp to see if its my amp or the earspeakers.  They sound great fed by my Ygg, but I'm a bit frustrated that my Stax setup has not been as reliable as my dynamics.    

What I can say is that I enjoy my TH900's via the Woo WA7 as much as the Stax, although they are different, and I recently picked up a Headamp GS-1 with the Dynalo plus boards that made me revisit my HD650's....really transformed them.  All are fed by the Ygg and that's a nice combo.  

Anyhoo....if anyone in the area has a Stax amp and wouldn't mind me plugging my 007A's in for a quick test please let me know.  Alternatively I may have to buy more equipment to test what's up.  I'm tired of shipping this stuff off and I'd like to pinpoint the issue.

HS

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #83 of 127
I know.  I wasn't absolutely clear.

There were dealers at this January show.  There wasn't just individuals with their gear.

The Stax demo was all about the amps driving them and they weren't Stax amps.  It was relatively quiet in the room.

I do remember that the Austin meet had dealers in place and it did make me consider going to the Austin meet before the CanJam@SoCal meet, though I did not for schedule conflict reasons. Was Stax a vendor in attendance at the Austin meet? They always specify that they want a private room to allow proper demonstration of their setups, according to one Stax representative. At say the least, they always get up-tight when someone is making too much noise in their listening rooms.

I regret not having paid enough attention to see that the Austin meeting was planned.  I would have driven there to take it all in as I have yet to attend a large event.

The reason I asked about a Stax dealer is I have a dilemma.  I have a pair of Stax 007A's.  My second pair as the first had a channel imbalance and were swapped out for a new pair that have played well for several months.  I now have an issue with the either my KGST e-stat amp or the 007A's and I was hoping to plug the relatively new earspeakers into an amp to see if its my amp or the earspeakers.  They sound great fed by my Ygg, but I'm a bit frustrated that my Stax setup has not been as reliable as my dynamics.    

What I can say is that I enjoy my TH900's via the Woo WA7 as much as the Stax, although they are different, and I recently picked up a Headamp GS-1 with the Dynalo plus boards that made me revisit my HD650's....really transformed them.  All are fed by the Ygg and that's a nice combo.  

Anyhoo....if anyone in the area has a Stax amp and wouldn't mind me plugging my 007A's in for a quick test please let me know.  Alternatively I may have to buy more equipment to test what's up.  I'm tired of shipping this stuff off and I'd like to pinpoint the issue.

HS

You might need to get your KGST serviced by...Headamp, right? I think they were one of the vendors at the Austin meet.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #84 of 127
My KGST was not built by Headamp.  My GS-1 is the only piece I own from Headamp.

That's the point I was trying to make...I need to isolate the issue and a simple listen of the headphones on another amp would answer the question.  If the scratching sound is still there then I know it's the Stax earspeakers.  If not then I ship the KGST off for servicing.

HS

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #85 of 127
The electrostatic amp dealer at the Austin meet was only using the 009 and 007MKII to demo his amps.  I don't recall if there was more than one amp dealer there.  Maybe.

Read this thread if interested:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/785588/head-fi-austin-january-23-2016

May 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #87 of 127
@pbui44

Sounds good, seems like you might be the organizer of the next meet in Houston.
I'm always down, hopefully we can get enough traction. 

Would people like to have the meet at a plain-Jane place, like a library, or a scenic place, like a cafe with banquet hall? A plain-Jane place have a cheaper price for admission and will not require a high attendance, but it will not be as organized or as convenient. A cafe with a banquet hall will require a price for admission and food and a higher attendance to cover costs, but the area will be more welcoming and will let others be more social with other interests, like IEMs and DAPs.

May 6, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #89 of 127

@pbui44

Sounds good, seems like you might be the organizer of the next meet in Houston.
I'm always down, hopefully we can get enough traction. 

Would people like to have the meet at a plain-Jane place, like a library, or a scenic place, like a cafe with banquet hall? A plain-Jane place have a cheaper price for admission and will not require a high attendance, but it will not be as organized or as convenient. A cafe with a banquet hall will require a price for admission and food and a higher attendance to cover costs, but the area will be more welcoming and will let others be more social with other interests, like IEMs and DAPs.

I vote for plain-Jane.  Usually quieter, important for open back cans.  I'm not sure there are enough interested folks in H-Town to get a high attendance for the expensive place.  Depends on getting the word out and what the response might be.  Two sense.
smile.gif

May 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #90 of 127
Hey guys, I can host an event at my office, but I have limited space. Especially table space. I could probably host something after hours during the week for about 4-5 people, plus myself. I hosted it last time, about 2.5 years ago, at my old house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back