Any Houston Meets?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 127
Quote:
Wondering if there are ever any Houston meets or interest in doing so?

Two to three years ago there was a meet just south of Houston at a hi-fi shop (Grado dealer).  Since then, nothing.

I'm interested even though I'm a hundred miles out, but I'm not an organizer.

There's an Austin meet in the spring.

Hope there's some response.

Sep 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 127
Quote:
Two to three years ago there was a meet just south of Houston at a hi-fi shop (Grado dealer).  Since then, nothing.

I'm interested even though I'm a hundred miles out, but I'm not an organizer.

There's an Austin meet in the spring.

Hope there's some response.

Yeah I have seen a few posts for Houston meets many years ago at that Grado dealer.  Think that dealer is near NASA.

Also I see that there is a Houston Audio Society (HAS), wich meet monthly to discuss listen to all forms of audio, not limited to headphones. 

Any member here belong to the HAS?

Thanks, I will check out the Austin meet. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 127
Yeah, I'm a member of HAS.  To my knowledge, I'm the only one in the membership who really cares about cans.

I'll keep my eyes open for any potential interest.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 127
Quote:
Yeah, I'm a member of HAS.  To my knowledge, I'm the only one in the membership who really cares about cans.

Oh really?  Yeah it looked from their site that they deal very little in headphones.  Too bad, hah.

Do you have link for more info on the Austin meet?

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 127
Quote:
Quote:

Oh really?  Yeah it looked from their site that they deal very little in headphones.  Too bad, hah.

Do you have link for more info on the Austin meet?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625191/dallas-tx-deux-for-2012-a-not-quite-as-mini-meet-sunday-october-14th

These are some of the same people that do Austin.  Chime in and morbidtoaster will put you on the notify list.  Dallas is a little too far for me or I'd be there.

Sep 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 127
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625191/dallas-tx-deux-for-2012-a-not-quite-as-mini-meet-sunday-october-14th

These are some of the same people that do Austin.  Chime in and morbidtoaster will put you on the notify list.  Dallas is a little too far for me or I'd be there.

Great thanks.  I sent morbidtoaster a msg to add me to his list.  Need to find a way to organize a Houston meet also.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 127
Much agreed icehole! A fellow Houstonian thinks we need meet ups! I've been dying to hear the HD800, right now I'm rocking the LCD-2 and Burson HA160D. Always looking to buy more cans :D!

Thomas

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 127
Quote:
Much agreed icehole! A fellow Houstonian thinks we need meet ups! I've been dying to hear the HD800, right now I'm rocking the LCD-2 and Burson HA160D. Always looking to buy more cans :D!

Thomas

I have seen a few organized for Houston but they have been in the distant past it seems.  I would love to try out some different cans since we have no shops here to walk in and audition them.  I don't think i have any cans ppl would care to listen to or have not already heard.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 127
Figured I'd stop by the Dallas thread and noticed this one, too. We've got Dallas coming up hosted by Nick (he hosted the one at the beginning of the summer as well) and I plan to start up the Austin meet thread soon after that to start plans for the big one in spring. It'll be our 3rd annual Austin meet. That'll make it official. :)

Be sure to chime in on dates and locations and make sure to ask for gear you'd want to hear. We had big attendance last year and will probably have to pay a little this year to rent a hotel or something. 

Oh, and you're already on the Notify/Texas Head-fier list, ice. I'll be sending a mass PM when I open the floodgates thread for Austin next year.

Quote:

I'm a member of HAS but there's very little Head-fi related activity there. Never been to one of their meets as I am actually located in Austin. :D

Quote:
Yeah I have seen a few posts for Houston meets many years ago at that Grado dealer.  Think that dealer is near NASA.

Also I see that there is a Houston Audio Society (HAS), wich meet monthly to discuss listen to all forms of audio, not limited to headphones. 

Any member here belong to the HAS?

Thanks, I will check out the Austin meet. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 127
Quote:
Figured I'd stop by the Dallas thread and noticed this one, too. We've got Dallas coming up hosted by Nick (he hosted the one at the beginning of the summer as well) and I plan to start up the Austin meet thread soon after that to start plans for the big one in spring. It'll be our 3rd annual Austin meet. That'll make it official. :)

Be sure to chime in on dates and locations and make sure to ask for gear you'd want to hear. We had big attendance last year and will probably have to pay a little this year to rent a hotel or something. 

Oh, and you're already on the Notify/Texas Head-fier list, ice. I'll be sending a mass PM when I open the floodgates thread for Austin next year.

I'm a member of HAS but there's very little Head-fi related activity there. Never been to one of their meets as I am actually located in Austin. :D

Sounds great, thanks.  I can definitely make it out to an Austin meet.  I was hoping to run into some ppl more local here in Houston also.  So far not a lot of response, maybe the head-fiers are not as prevalent here on the forum or within the city.  I do keep looking around to find ppl with flattened hair in the shape of a headband just in case. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 127
Quote:

Sounds great, thanks.  I can definitely make it out to an Austin meet.  I was hoping to run into some ppl more local here in Houston also.  So far not a lot of response, maybe the head-fiers are not as prevalent here on the forum or within the city.  I do keep looking around to find ppl with flattened hair in the shape of a headband just in case. 

If I had hair.  Grrr.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 127
Quote:
If I had hair.  Grrr.

Hahah.  Oops, maybe I am discounting too many potential head-fiers by looking for the smashed hair.  I forgot there must be a good population of head-fiers who have actually worn hps long enough to scare all of their hair away.  Good point bbophead.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 127
I did not realize, but Guitar Center in Houston has some alright cans that they will let you try out.  Beyerdynamics Dt770s and Dt880s.  Shure 840s and 940s.  AKG Q701s.  Also they match online prices in case anyone is interested.  Wish there were more shops with hi-end headphones.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 127
Fun Fact: Guitar Center actually has amazing prices on used cans quite often. They're usually at stores across the US, but if you call that store they'll ship to you no problem. You just need to keep a keen eye out on their used stuff.

Quote:
I did not realize, but Guitar Center in Houston has some alright cans that they will let you try out.  Beyerdynamics Dt770s and Dt880s.  Shure 840s and 940s.  AKG Q701s.  Also they match online prices in case anyone is interested.  Wish there were more shops with hi-end headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back