any headphone double as "neckphones"?
Jul 27, 2011 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sesshin

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to find a pair of headphones I can wear around my neck while commuting on my bike. Obviously wearing on my ears is fairly dangerous. I'm imaging if there was enough leakage or if the earcups swiveled to point upwards they could double as "neckphones".

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jul 27, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 15
A pair or Grado's might work.  They're pretty sensitive and project a lot of sound when not being worn.  I'm not sure if they get loud enough to hear anything over background noise on the street without an amp, and if you crank it too loudly you might just damage them.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
I would like to find a pair of headphones I can wear around my neck while commuting on my bike. Obviously wearing on my ears is fairly dangerous. I'm imaging if there was enough leakage or if the earcups swiveled to point upwards they could double as "neckphones".

Anyone have any suggestions?

Why don't you just get a pair of IEM's and loop it around your ear (without actually placing it in the canal). It shouldn't isolate so much that you won't be able to hear the street and traffic.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #4 of 15
Try a pair of LCD-2, their isolation so bad that I can hear the fans of my laptop even on their lower settings :D
On the other hand they are quite far from discrete.:D :p :D

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 15

[size=medium]
a1d5e42f_sennheiser_surrounder.jpg

The Sennheiser Surrounder, just the neckphones you are looking for!
[/size]

Quote:
Try a pair of LCD-2, their isolation so bad that I can hear the fans of my laptop even on their lower settings
biggrin.gif

On the other hand they are quite far from discrete.
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't even know if you could fit them around your neck, and still be able t

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 15

[size=medium]

[/size]

You can't fit them around you neck, but wearing them normally, they are absolutely don't isolate. :rolleyes:

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Personally I would be too afraid of wearing my $1000 headphones on a bike ride, not to mention I would look pretty funny riding down the street with those on, lol.

Haha, I actually did it, while I was suitably safe and was able to hear cars coming, I probably won't do it again, it DOES attract attention, On the other hand it was the first time I turn SO MANY heads.:D

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Haha, I actually did it, while I was suitably safe and was able to hear cars coming, I probably won't do it again, it DOES attract attention, On the other hand it was the first time I turn SO MANY heads.
biggrin.gif

So... If you liked the attention, there's nothing to stop you from keeping them on : )

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Sep 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

on snap did you died while typing?

OP, why not some clip ons like the KSC75?, you can put them at a very low volume and still be abble to hear the exterior around.

Sep 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 15
The sennheiser pmx680 (with neckband) and omx680 (with ear fins) are sports earbuds that are made to be open so you can hear the environment around you.
If you get these and listen on low volume levels you should be able to hear everything.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Seconded the recommendation for the KSC75s / KTXPro1 / Portapros at relatively low volumes. You should have no problem hearing through those.

Alternately, almost about as crazy as those "neckphones" above, but consider buying a set of NXT-style sound exciters and a battery-powered T-amp to outfit your ride with a tiny, low-volume stereo. Using the exciters, you could cut and hang a small "speaker" made of foamboard or Sintra between the top tube and the downtube at the head tube. I have seen a few motorcyclists and Jet-Skiiers attaching sound exciters directly to the fiberglass / plastic panels of their ride's body and it works pretty well.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #15 of 15
I don't know if it would work for you and personally, non of my nice phones ever leave my house buy grado's are as loud off your head as they are on it.  You could probably just mount a speaker to your bars for super cheap though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back